Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saidai

GRIM FANDANGO REMASTER COMING

Surprisingly, just about all the press cons have actually been ABOUT GAMES and not useless social and media shit. Hell, even Microsofts was a B- at worst. Only exception was EA press con which it seems like EA goal every E3 is to piss everyone off.

Microsoft's E3 conferences have been great for some time now, they just showed game after game, just like they did the last two years. The only problem is that most of those games are multi platform games anyway, so it's not like we need an Xbox to play those.

The EA conf. was probably the most boring, I agree with that but I just hate Ubi's forced attempts to be funny. You are not funny Aisha Tylor, so just stop trying please!

Sony had a great conference, but even though it wasn't a conference I think Nintendo kinda stole the show this year.

Zelda just looks so goddamn gorgeous.

In Doublefine's "GF Retrospective" video Tim said they've seen some fan made things and they'll use some of them... I'm really hoping that they saw the following widescreen video:

cigf0ZT9pu0

So Disney will provide the original assets, they'll re-render the 3D scenes in Widescreen and in HD, they'll make high-poly models, less compressed audio files, new widescreen cutscenes, bugfixes... maybe they'll even add that fan made point&click; interface as an option. If they throw in some documentary and bonus things this will be (for me) the gaming equivalent of Blade Runner The Final Cut.

H*** YES!

Now I'll happily sit and wait for the PC version. Wouldn't mind an opportunity to throw ridiculous sums of money at the screen for a nice physical (PC) version (with a few signed posters) down the line...

H*** YES!

Now I'll happily sit and wait for the PC version. Wouldn't mind an opportunity to throw ridiculous sums of money at the screen for a nice physical (PC) version (with a few signed posters) down the line...

I generally don't go in for those ludicrous overpriced special editions, but if they put out a SE Grim Fandango with physical game, OST CD (pleasepleaseplease), poster, art book and some little calaca dolls of the characters I would throw allllllll the money at it.

I generally don't go in for those ludicrous overpriced special editions, but if they put out a SE Grim Fandango with physical game, OST CD (pleasepleaseplease), poster, art book and some little calaca dolls of the characters I would throw allllllll the money at it.

GF Collector's edition box:

- game disc

- poster >>>

- OST (the complete version) >>>

- DOD travel flyers >>>

- concept art book >>>

- original game guide

- design document >>>

- Manny statue >>>

- bonus documentary disc

- replicas: ticket to #9, compass, dominos, sproutella bullets, robert frost baloon

Tim Schafer, Sony... are you reading this?!? All of my money!

- game disc

- poster >>>

- DOD travel flyers >>>

- concept art book >>>

- original game guide

- design document >>>

- Manny statue >>>

- bonus documentary disc

- replicas: ticket to #9, compass, dominos, sproutella bullets, robert frost baloon

It is possible to make plenty of wonderful posters (please please let me buy them signed (and possibly caressed ;) )) based on Grim. See e.g. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5711/ .

I wouldn't mind getting an old box with the paper double CD cover (which my brother tore/ate) too.

So something I've been wondering about is when this deal actually went down. One of the Sony people involved talks about it about an hour into the Day 1 podcast for Giant Bomb, and mentions that details started getting nailed down at the DICE summit. Tim was there in mid-Feb according to this http://kotaku.com/tim-schafer-is-happier-now-1531788824 which I guess means that this has been a real project for a few months now.

So it seems unlikely that very much substantial work has been done on this yet, but the boring stuff like getting the assets, starting to scope out the requirements based on what's available and all of that pre-production kinda stuff is probably out of the way now. Depending on the amount of extra work that needs to be done on this, it doesn't seem impossible with 2 teams (Double Fine and whoever else it is) working on this it doesn't seem implausible that this could drop before the end of the year, or early next year.

In my dream scenario they'll have access to all kinds of assets and be able to do a lot of work on retouching the artwork without ruining the look of the game, and it might be a bit more work and take longer. But I can't imagine there's THAT much money behind this project, so I would have thought that a short-ish development time is the goal.

So something I've been wondering about is when this deal actually went down. One of the Sony people involved talks about it about an hour into the Day 1 podcast for Giant Bomb, and mentions that details started getting nailed down at the DICE summit. Tim was there in mid-Feb according to this http://kotaku.com/tim-schafer-is-happier-now-1531788824 which I guess means that this has been a real project for a few months now.

Yeah, that would also coincide with Justin's hints during Amnesia Fortnight. I admit, I tried to date the studio meeting footage (nothat'snotacreepythingtodoshutup), and couldn't really come to any conclusion except after February (no Chris Remo).

So it seems unlikely that very much substantial work has been done on this yet, but the boring stuff like getting the assets, starting to scope out the requirements based on what's available and all of that pre-production kinda stuff is probably out of the way now. Depending on the amount of extra work that needs to be done on this, it doesn't seem impossible with 2 teams (Double Fine and whoever else it is) working on this it doesn't seem implausible that this could drop before the end of the year, or early next year.

In my dream scenario they'll have access to all kinds of assets and be able to do a lot of work on retouching the artwork without ruining the look of the game, and it might be a bit more work and take longer. But I can't imagine there's THAT much money behind this project, so I would have thought that a short-ish development time is the goal.

I'm really curious about this. Mostly it seems like the cutscenes would be a sticking point, GF has a ton of them and so many HD remakes have problems where they obviously didn't have all the assets to recreate a cutscene short of doing it from scratch, so the old ones are haphazardly uprezzed and look all artifacty and horrible. God of War was really bad for that and Grim is so much older. Hopefully the Lucas archive is comprehensive and Double Fine will get the time to really do it justice.

I'd love if the new one looked like the concept art. The background art in the original was unreal! It would be really cool if its like d director's cut, extra scene's that didn't make it to the original (Like some of Manny's back-story) . Best of e3.

Ooh!!! There's a bigger thread discussion the new version of Grim Fandango here. Awesome.

Firstly: WOOOOO!!!! This is fantastic news. I can't wait to see what DF comes up with.

In another thread I speculated what they might do to the game. If Grim Fandango was going to be made today (and didn't exist previously), what would it look like? Would they still use pre-rendered backgrounds, I wonder? Would it be completely third person 3D with a 360 camera (like Gears of War)? Would it be something in between: A 3D world with a limited camera movement?

This last option sounds like the best compromise to me. Imagine the garage in Year One where the camera could zoom and pan instead of jumping to a different screen when Manny reached the edge of the current one. That would be good.

But I guess it all depends on the budget. The MI:SE has a notoriously small budget, and look how that turned out :-/ (Thankfully they redeemed themselves with MI2:SE.)

How far is this remake going to go? Will it be a premium title, with lots of new graphics? Or will it be a polishing up of the original game?

Sidenote to DF: All the assets created for the GRIM FANDANGO DELUXE project are (I think) technically owned by Disney, as they're derivative works. I can't speak for everyone on the project, but I know I'm fine with you using anything I've created for it.

I stopped playing Grim Fandango because of its ridiculous controls (and the bugs, unfortunately). In my opinion, PC players are still owed a playable point and click version of Grim.

Let's see if it comes to pass, DRM free of course.

I don't mind the controls, personally, but I take it you've seen this?

http://tpfaff.de/blog/2014/05/25/grim/

Don't know how much it should be trusted, but I just found a (serious) web store in Norway (komplett.no), listing the game with the release date set to the 15th of March 2015. Sounds about right, doesn't it?

Don't know how much it should be trusted, but I just found a (serious) web store in Norway (komplett.no), listing the game with the release date set to the 15th of March 2015. Sounds about right, doesn't it?
I'm sure that any date you find online at this point is just a placeholder date based on guesswork. They haven't even shown any screenshots yet, so I doubt they have set a date for it.

- game disc

- poster >>>

- DOD travel flyers >>>

- concept art book >>>

- original game guide

- design document >>>

- Manny statue >>>

- bonus documentary disc

Oh maaan I'd pay so much money for that. I really want those DOD travel flyers...

I nearly had a shock when I first saw the announcement, and literally jumped up and down for a few seconds!

I've since calmed down and reigned in my expectations a bit though.

A full-on, faithful remake utilizing modern graphics with real-time rendered environments, dynamic lighting, atmospheric effects and more dynamic and cinematic camera angles especially during conversations (to make them look more like the cutscenes) is my most-wanted game, but it's a pipe dream like that remake of FFVII everyone's waiting for, and it's obviously not what's going to happen here.

It would do wonders for the game's cinematic noir atmosphere but there's no way there's enough money to recreate everything from scratch, and I kind of doubt if they still have all the original data files and tools necessary to be able to even re-render the old scenes at a higher resolution, let alone do anything more complicated. The fact that Tim mentioned incorporating some of the fan improvements also leads me to believe it's a much smaller affair more akin to just getting the game to run on new systems.

Realistically speaking though I think/hope we could be looking at:

-Update all sounds and music to 16-bit/44kHz

This feels like the kind of thing they could have archived somewhere, and it should be a pretty straightforward improvement since there's no complex or archaic data formats involved.

-Recompress the FMVs to a nicer standard

As mentioned these often get thrown away with no possibility to re-render them, but if they happen to still have the uncompressed output this should be as simple of a fix as the sound.

-Higher resolution/anti-aliasing of the real-time 3D

I don't really know much about it, but spontaneously it feels like if they're going to port it to PS4/Vita then maybe they'd go deep enough into the code to be able to do something about this. Then again perhaps they're just going to create an interpreter similar to ResidualVM.

-Better textures

Most of the textures in the game are very simple, on the verge of being line-art. It shouldn't be too much work to trace them at a higher resolution, and it would be a necessity if they increased the resolution.

And a couple of maybes:

-Higher-poly models

Like the textures I don't think any of the models are terribly complex, but it would still take some work, they'd still be limited by the underlying rig/animation, and it would be the biggest risk of losing the charm of the original designs and ending up with something like the Monkey Island SE designs (which I'm sorry to say I thought looked terrible.)

-Better lighting

This would probably require some significant upgrades, but perhaps it's not completely outside the realm of possibilities. In the original the 3D characters were very simply lit and didn't really match the lighting in the pre-rendered backgrounds. If they could roughly map out all the light sources from the backgrounds in the (invisible) 3D scene and light the characters using those I think it would be a huge improvement in making the characters part of the environment.

Bottom line though: it's Grim Fandango and I'm going to buy it whatever it turns out to be. I can't stand to play it through ResidualVM because of crackling and buggy audio so if it just has those graphical enhancements but works properly I'll still be happy. And if they release a deluxe set with concept artbook etc. for the PS4 I'll buy that too despite the fact that I'm probably never going to own an actual PS4.

Yeah, playing it via Residual is still a little buggy (for me it sometimes freezes and I have to hit period to get it to continue). It'll be great to be able to recommend it to people without a great long instruction list of how to find and play it!

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but I was wondering which engine they will be using for the remake. I think that in all likelihood they will be using their own Buddha engine, because it's what their used to and because they already have the tool chain set up to handle it. It also supports building for several modern platforms,

The GrimE engine probably both isn't handily available and since no active development (that I know of) have been done in it for at least a decade and probably can't just be loaded up and run successfully on modern systems. There would also have been the hurdle of having to learn to use a completely unfamiliar code base and setting up the tools to import various assets into the engine.

So for those reasons I'd be very surprised if they'll use anything other than their in-house Buddha engine. I wonder though how many of the assets from the current game they'll get access to and how much of it is salvageable. Like will they be able to reusesome of the gameplay logic scripts? If it is accessible they could probably create a script to convert it to the needed format.

I think we can be reasonably confident that they're not going to be very, very ambitious with the remastering... both from a likely-budget perspective and these:

NO.PNG

wot.PNG

stff.PNG

Also, they probably are still assessing what they can do...

I hope that they can get the original version working on modern operating systems and put on services like GOG. I'll probably stick with this newer version but it'd be nice to have the original readily available and it can be one more physical PC game I can get rid of.

I think we can be reasonably confident that they're not going to be very, very ambitious with the remastering... both from a likely-budget perspective and these:

NO.PNG

wot.PNG

stff.PNG

Also, they probably are still assessing what they can do...

I am totally fine with all of that.

I'm doubly fine with all of that, but I hope they do at least a better job than we were doing at GF Deluxe -- if only because they've got more resources than we did :)

I'm doubly fine with all of that, but I hope they do at least a better job than we were doing at GF Deluxe -- if only because they've got more resources than we did :)

Don't you mean you're Double Fine with that? Eh? :P

In some ways, yes, in other ways, no.

Their resources cost money, they aren't donated to them. This can be a limiting factor.

I'm fine with that too, by the way. Just hoping for people to set their expectations somewhat lower than a sweeping remake comprising of replacement of much of the original background assets. No doubt there's plenty of stuff that can be done, but they're unlikely to be building it from scratch.

I just want to be able to download it and play it eventually on PC, so if I can do that, I'll pretty pleased.

Smiles

Not sure if that was a response to my post? I do realize that, but for the reasons I mentioned I still think it's likely that utilizing the Buddha engine might be the easiest solution; regardless of the level of ambition.

Not sure if that was a response to my post? I do realize that, but for the reasons I mentioned I still think it's likely that utilizing the Buddha engine might be the easiest solution; regardless of the level of ambition.

It was more the speculation from some people that they might be rendering backgrounds in real time.

Sign in to follow this