Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saidai

GRIM FANDANGO REMASTER COMING

I think we can be reasonably confident that they're not going to be very, very ambitious with the remastering... both from a likely-budget perspective and these:

Not sure if that was a response to my post? I do realize that, but for the reasons I mentioned I still think it's likely that utilizing the Buddha engine might be the easiest solution; regardless of the level of ambition.

It was more the speculation from some people that they might be rendering backgrounds in real time.

Ah, yeah. I agree with that.

Personally I'm happy that Grim Fandango is going to be "back in print", even though I already own a copy. Getting a version that works natively on modern platforms, including (in all likelihood) Linux and Mac, is already awesome. Any actual remastering of art assets is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I still think it's likely that utilizing the Buddha engine might be the easiest solution; regardless of the level of ambition.

Double Fine might use the Buddha engine if they need to rebuild Grim Fandango for whatever reason, but I wonder if they might be using ResidualVM instead.

, after describing all the fan patches made over the years, Tim says of the remaster that “This new version will hopefully take as much as we can of all that good stuff that’s been done to Grim over the last 15 years and put it together.”

We know that Double Fine hasn't reached out to the Grim Fandango Deluxe project, which is the (work-in-progress) HD version that Tim mentions in the video. The other enhancements that Tim mentions like the bug fixes and the point-and-click controls patch are built on top of the ResidualVM version, so that makes me wonder if the remaster will likewise be built on ResidualVM.

If so, that would mean Double Fine will or already has reached out to the ResidualVM team to work with them on porting ResidualVM to PS4 and PSVita, but considering its already been ported to other platforms, that should be easier than porting GrimE or rebuilding the game in Buddha. I don't know if the ResidualVM team has said anything to this effect, but I doubt they'd be able to announce it even if they were (NDA). Anyway, for now this is just my speculation.

Just hoping for people to set their expectations somewhat lower than a sweeping remake comprising of replacement of much of the original background assets. No doubt there's plenty of stuff that can be done, but they're unlikely to be building it from scratch.

That's my guess, too. I think it'll be more or less the original game with improved resolution and detail patched in to whatever extent is possible working mostly from the original assets and game files.

I do suspect they might replace the in-game character models with improved versions that closer resemble the cinematic versions (better hands, etc.) without breaking the original in-game rigs so that all the animations stay intact. And touch up the character textures. This is what Grim Fandango Deluxe has been working on, and it would make sense if Double Fine took a similar approach.

The big question for me are the pre-rendered backgrounds and the cinematics. Historically, many game companies have not been good about archiving working files from old games, or they get discarded during buyouts, studio shutdowns, etc. I'd therefore been expecting that the backgrounds and cinematics in the Grim Fandango remaster wouldn't be much (if at all) improved, and Double Fine might have to just upscale them from the lower-res versions in the shipped game.

But Tim's tweet about how they've "gotta round up all the source files" now has me thinking that maybe there's hope for some of those original working files yet. LucasArts didn't go through years of corporate buyouts the way some game companies have, and it's connected to larger companies (Lucas and now Disney) that both have solid archiving practices in other departments, so . . . maybe some of the working files still exist? Or some ex-employees kept a copy of some of their own files?

It seems too much to hope, but it'd be really great if they still have what they need to re-render the original backgrounds and cinematics at a higher res. (Not to mention perhaps the audio at a higher fidelity.) But if that isn't possible, I'm fine with the Grim Fandango remaster being mostly the original game re-released with some tweaks (controls fine-tuned for modern game pads, etc.) and only marginal improvements in the graphics. I think the biggest benefit here is that Grim Fandango becomes commercially available again and easy for existing fans to recommend to friends, not necessarily that it's such a mindblowing overhaul that existing fans feel compelled to re-buy it themselves.

We'll have to wait to hear more. From the same tweet by Tim it's clear that even Double Fine still needs to assess the situation and "figure out what [they] can make look better."

I wonder if we'll get some kind of "The Art of Grim Fandango"/"making of" book out of this? or did double fine just get the rights to the game?

I wonder if we'll get some kind of "The Art of Grim Fandango"/"making of" book out of this? or did double fine just get the rights to the game?

That would be great, and I would buy that in a heartbeat. I'm personally hoping for a reissue of the soundtrack. I bought it, but gave it away in a contest for my website (and definitely regret not getting two now). I love the music in Grim Fandango so much, and I would love to have a chance to make up for my blunder, and to finally be able to have the official version of the soundtrack. :)

I actually bought a PS4 after hearing this news.

I should send an invoice to Tim.

Oh this is awesome!

I just started playing Grim Fandango this Spring after i managed my very very old computer from my parents to my flat ... sadly it died while i was in Rubacava and i was siriously plotting allready to double boot my next system with win 98 just to end this game!

Just that i won't buy a new computer with enough space for a double boot too soon ... so this is just awesomeness! I am going to be able to play that game again till the end :D and certainly i am going to stay able to do so *starsinmyeyes*

I love Grim Fandango so much! And a stable version (this year i guess my win 98 was big part of the problem also ... ) and a nice polish would be so super nice.

To the whole topic of what they could do to polish this game ... well i love the eyecandy double fine is doing. I loved it in the Cave and i loved it with Broken Age. Well, the original settings are allready awesome of course. But i guess they could work a lot with after effects! Beside, of course, a new done 3d graphic and or rendering.

So with just high res backgrounds, dated 3d, they could do so much with just a little steam here, a little blinc on metal there. maybe a little different light tones. generally lighting thats up to date ... like visible lights - i am thinking about that moment when we see the zeppelin for the first time with the music and stuff. Or the club with the huge cats ... i guess with just little effects that are today possible, it could give a sweeter visual. Beside the game has allready awesome visuals anyway.

I love the simple polygons also. Like with the guy that repaired the news system for example.

But okay, i have to be honest, in some scenes, i wouldn't even mind a total make over. for example on the black and white banner thats on doubel fines front page right now the parade has a nicer view. but on the other hand would it be also awesome having the very same view, just updated effects, kinda like in the monkey island update. for the memories and stuff.

I also love the fact that the guy that made all the artwork for grim fandango is still very tight connected to double fine ! :D (as we saw him in the broken age documentary)

So there won't be someone else messing with the art ^^ it's the guy himself :D

Sign in to follow this