Sign in to follow this  
Cryocore

Hey Tim! Thanks for taking a massive dump all over the PC fans that adore Grim Fandango!

When you make a valid point Cry O'Core, maybe some of us will be inspired to too.

It's a shame you can't be excited with the rest of us. It's gonna be great! I hope in time you can let yourself enjoy how amazing it is that this is happening.

Actually it's a little confusing. He owns a PS4. He's angry because it's initially an exclusive PS4 title. What stopping him from playing it? And if you don't like it, just don't buy the PS4 version, wait for a PC version and buy that. If the PC version doesn't happen then well you've voted with your wallet.

This is a case of an ignorant, angry child acting out. Everyone just ignore him and move on.

You're all sheep and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Dont worry I'm going now. Fuck you Tim! Have some respect for the people that have supported you for over 20 years!

I'd buy a Vita for this game and a PS4. When I do, I'll be sure to wear a sheep costume in your honor. I'd watch your blood pressure if I were you, though. You're going to burst a vein.

Eh... as far as meltdowns go, 4/10. Not very convincing, Fawful does it better.

qh14c.gif

I think DF has earned enough credibility among us fans that we should always assume that they are doing what they can, to make everyone satisfied. I'm a bit afraid that it will stay Sony exclusive way to long also, but I'm quite confident that they will release it on PC and other formats as soon as they can. This thread is unneccessary harsh considering what they have done for us.

But platform exclusivity is good for competition, and competition means innovation

That's certainly true but not for a remake like this or platform exlusive content for multi-platform games which we see more and more these days.

I'm genuinely excited about this. The only question I have is probably what everyone else is wondering: What will get remastered? Are they going full out, with real time 3D environments, or are they keeping it simple, with updated models, controls and menus? Grim Fandango is massive, so building new environments from ground up would be both time consuming and costly, but who knows?

I'm hoping the game gets a remaster it deserves. If it's all new visuals, with real time cutscenes instead of renders [because who would re-render them now, and from what] etc., I'm in. If it's new models and everything else stays pretty much the same, aside from controls and menus, I'm in as well, though I wouldn't be particularly impressed.

I'm waiting for the first screenshots to appear, or at least a word from Tim on how this remaster will be handled. As for the guy who went ballistic over the lack of PC version at launch, take a chill pill, buddy. It's like many others have said already. We either get this as a Sony timed exclusive, or not at all, so which option would you chose?

I do most of my gaming from a sofa in front of the TV nowadays, so I'm actually pleased to hear it will get a console release. The only thing I wish for is that it gets a physical release. Maybe a deluxe version, with a soundtrack. If Putty Squad can get a physical release on all possible platforms, then so can Grim Fandango.

Even if its a timed exclusive why the fuck should loyal and longtime fans be forced to wait god knows how long while some console jockey gets first run at it?

Pathetic!

9XGdn.gif

Yeah, so I don't like exclusivity ever. And I've never agreed with the argument that it's good for us because of competition. Game developers just want to make great games. They're not magically motivated to make better ones due to exclusivity, great games would get made regardless of exclusivity.

BUT

Sometimes they are the only way that something can get made, or the only way something could get made to its fullest potential, because of the extra money that exclusivity deals bring in. It's not ideal, but it's far from taking a dump on fans, especially in the case of timed exclusives, which this seems to be. This is the deal that made this project even remotely possible.

Which makes this complaint utterly churlish.

Grim Fandango was already released for the PC. Console gamers have waited 16 years to play Grim Fandango. You don't hear them complaining.

Grim Fandango was already released for the PC.

With the worst controls known to man, mind you.

I guess Disney plus Sony equals Steam exclusivity anyway should a PC version follow in 2018 or later (yeah, it's Double Fine). So, meh.

No need for the hate here, but we can make some good guesses where Double Fine is heading.

Looking forward to some great youtube Let's Plays in the future.

I can see two distinct possibilities here, either the game gets remade with SONY's help, with the possibility of the game coming to other platforms in the future, or the game never gets made at all. I completely fail to understand how anyone claiming to be a fan of the original game would choose the latter.

I am a big fan of Grim Fandango and I don't own, or intend to buy, a PS4, but I still think this is great news and I think Tim and the rest of the nice folk at Double Fine should be congratulated for making this happen.

The industry should stop changing the meaning of words. "Exclusive(!!) on (insert platform here)", means "won't be on all platforms until next week", apparently. Stupid. Awesome news anyway. Just watched Tim play it last week, and will enjoy playing the remastered version when its out.

Don't use that third world country excuse man even if I do agree with you, that's the fucking stupidest fallacy that everyone insists on using.

I'm psyched. I missed Grim Fandango the first time around, and am chuffed that new consoles and new platforms are a way to rediscover some pre-existing awesome games.

Way to jump to conclusions on a game that should have worked better with a controller in the first place.

Oh not to mention how much do you think it would have costed to get that IP back? Screw you.

Even if its a timed exclusive why the fuck should loyal and longtime fans be forced to wait god knows how long while some console jockey gets first run at it?

Pathetic!

I'm positive it will be released for PC sooner or later.

Besides, think about getting a PS4, it's an amazing console which will get amazing games soon.

To the OP:

You can still play GF on PC if you so desire. There are means to obtain it and play it. (With a mouse, too!)

We should all be happy that the absolute classic that is Grim Fandango will be reborn and exposed to a wider audience. It f**king deserved it back then, and it deserves it now.

I'm sure in time, the team will port it everywhere else, including PC.

Relax.

Im not impressed i gotta say.

But dont be surprised when it sells poorly, because PS 4 gamers arent the type og gamers who play point n click. Further more dont be surprised when this is dumbed down much like Broken Age. Because people get bored and have attention span of a whole 1 min.

But we will see. The high difficulty is what made Grim Fandango awesome. i loose all interest in a point n click when i can just breeze through, no hard puzzles.

Now that Sony is part of this, the game surely has to sell, lets say 2-3 million copies. Maybe even more. That just aint gonna happen.

Broken Age while fun and amazing, didn really have any puzzles at all. So i just hope grim fandango has 2 modes. casual and expert.

Sometimes they are the only way that something can get made, or the only way something could get made to its fullest potential, because of the extra money that exclusivity deals bring in. It's not ideal, but it's far from taking a dump on fans, especially in the case of timed exclusives, which this seems to be. This is the deal that made this project even remotely possible.

Yeah, like Bayonetta 2. The first game was for PS3 and 360. Fans wanted a sequel and now there is going to be one: on Wii-U. PS3 and 360 fans weren't very happy but the game is being funded by Nintendo. If the game wasn't being funded by Nintendo, the game wouldn't exist. End of story. Same with this game.

So, story of this thread:

Guy throws tantrum because of some percieved injustice.

Guy is informed that actually it's not so bad as he thought.

Guy continues tantrum because he doesn't want to be seen to back down.

However, I do think Sony is a lot to blame for this because they're calling something exclusive when it's basically not.

Now that Sony is part of this, the game surely has to sell, lets say 2-3 million copies. Maybe even more. That just aint gonna happen.

I think you're really misinterpreting Sony's role in this. And this is a HD remaster. How many of those have you seen when they have started to cut and redefine the gameplay?

I suspect that this will ultimately sell more than it did during its original run (which, remember, was underwhelming but not actually a flop - it made its numbers) especially once the PC release comes out. The audience is bigger, lower price point will be a draw, the fact that the game hasn't been available for so long will get many first time buyers buying again, and the amplified fondness people have for the game as a cult classic since release.

But no, we don't know what Sony's involvement is. Very unlikely a full publishing role with a deal that would require AAA numbers of sales. Most likely they helped obtain the license in exchange for exclusivity, got the foot in the door at Disney, and so on.

It is a bit insulting as Tim Schafer has used PC Gamer adventure game fans to fund his game "Double Fine Adventure", which at the time of pitch had no artwork or no real concept other than "I want to make an adventure game". But we gave him our trust and gave him something like 8 times the amount he originally asked for just based on our trust from his previous works, including Grim Fandango. He then dipped into that pool again and had PC gamers fund his game Massive Chalice at $504015 more than what he was asked. We also made Amnesia Fortnight a success for two years in a row, paying money for what are basically pre-alpha concepts.

That PC gamers are now treated like second class after showing that kind of loyalty is insulting.

It is a bit insulting as Tim Schafer has used PC Gamer adventure game fans to fund his game "Double Fine Adventure", which at the time of pitch had no artwork or no real concept other than "I want to make an adventure game". But we gave him our trust and gave him something like 8 times the amount he originally asked for just based on our trust from his previous works, including Grim Fandango. He then dipped into that pool again and had PC gamers fund his game Massive Chalice at $504015 more than what he was asked. We also made Amnesia Fortnight a success for two years in a row, paying money for what are basically pre-alpha concepts.

That PC gamers are now treated like second class after showing that kind of loyalty is insulting.

I don't know why on earth you think that the fact you funded another game makes you think you get automatic priority on a completely different project. One which you didn't pay for, but Sony probably did put up a chunk of cash for.