Sign in to follow this  
Cryocore

Hey Tim! Thanks for taking a massive dump all over the PC fans that adore Grim Fandango!

It is a bit insulting as Tim Schafer has used PC Gamer adventure game fans to fund his game "Double Fine Adventure", which at the time of pitch had no artwork or no real concept other than "I want to make an adventure game". But we gave him our trust and gave him something like 8 times the amount he originally asked for just based on our trust from his previous works, including Grim Fandango. He then dipped into that pool again and had PC gamers fund his game Massive Chalice at $504015 more than what he was asked. We also made Amnesia Fortnight a success for two years in a row, paying money for what are basically pre-alpha concepts.

That PC gamers are now treated like second class after showing that kind of loyalty is insulting.

And what if this project would never had happened without Sony's involvment? Would it have been better for you if Grim Fandango had stayed dead and buried (pun intended), instead of it coming to PC just a bit later?

Double Fine have been awesome for PC gamers the last couple of years, so cut them some slack here will ya.

This thread is sad. Completely, unbelievably sad. I would feel bad for some of your parents if it wasn't so obvious that they did a terrible job raising you to be reasonable human beings capable of coherent thought.

If this is Tim taking a dump over me, I must say I really like it! It smells like roses and rainbows, and I feel all giddy and excited!

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I don't own or plan on getting a PS4 myself, but this remaster wouldn't even have come to be in the first place without Sony's influence, so naturally they want something in return. We should be grateful that we're getting a PC version at all.

And besides, if Sony and Disney wanted to they could easily have another studio handle the remaster. After all, Tim or Double Fine doesn't own the IP or publishing rights.

On the positive side it's is nice to see so much raging passion for a game we all love this long after it's release. The OPs argument might not hold up to rational debate or basic logic but it does speak to how powerfully these graphic adventures games (specifically Tim's) have really struck a chord with so many. It's a shame that passion couldn't be used positively or more constructively.

I think we can all agree a remastered Grim Fandango is a win for everyone, and thanks to Sony that will be possible. They provided to the funds to make the game possible and seeing as other platforms are coming it seems completely reasonable that Sony should get a small window of time to have it as an exclusive.

It's truly a bizarre rant. Just another example of the internet age, where even when people get exactly what they want they'll still find some reason to be outrageously angry. I spent a few minutes just trying to understand the OPs thought process. Comparing different games, adding in completely unrealistic expectations of what Kickstarter actually means, misunderstanding how the game was actually funded... and most curiously going on to insult Playstation owners slightly before admitting to being a Playstation owner. I'm just glad to see the unanimously calm and level headed reactions. PC gamers have certainly not been ignored, thanks to this deal it looks like I'll be getting exactly what I wanted. Waiting a little bit for a game to hit PC is a much better deal than not getting the game made at all.

Oh and just in case the OP popped back in, it's probably worth mentioning that if you're having fecal matter dumped on you from a great height you should probably look into that. As the rest of the PC fans who make up the core fan base have attested, this clearly isn't happening to anyone else here.

Now that Sony is part of this, the game surely has to sell, lets say 2-3 million copies. Maybe even more. That just aint gonna happen.

I think you're really misinterpreting Sony's role in this. And this is a HD remaster. How many of those have you seen when they have started to cut and redefine the gameplay?

Agreed. Take a look at Sony's publishing history - does anyone honestly think they expected all, or even most of them, to do AAA numbers? I seriously doubt anyone thought games like Rain, Unfinished Swan, Echochrome, Flow or Vib freaking Ribbon were going to break any sales records.

Sony have a long history of supporting more niche titles, they know the value of being seen to encourage beautiful, artistic games on their platform. Rescuing a smart, beautiful, artistic game that has a 94 metacritic (with user score to match), regularly appears in all time best lists, and is on the Museum of Modern Art's acquisition list, yet had pretty much been lost to the ravages of time? Not only that, but putting it back into the hands of its original creator? That is one hell of a prestige point. I honestly doubt they're all that concerned about sales in the grand scheme of things; the marketing opportunities are worth more than it could ever sell.

And forcing major gameplay changes onto it would kill that good will stone dead. Not going to happen.

As to Double Fine throwing their weight around with regards to platform choice, remember that they're a small game developer in negotiations with not one, but two multinational media giants. Much as I expect that everyone is there in good faith, I would still want to pick my battles very carefully if I were in that situation.

Obviously I have zero clue what's going to happen, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say PS4/Vita first, PC 1-6 months later (Win/Mac/Linux because Double Fine are awesome). Maybe a port to mobile after that (because Disney), though OTOH that might be seen as competing with Vita. Also outside chance it turns up on the PS+ freebie list the month it comes out on PC ;).

Now that Sony is part of this, the game surely has to sell, lets say 2-3 million copies. Maybe even more. That just aint gonna happen.

I think you're really misinterpreting Sony's role in this. And this is a HD remaster. How many of those have you seen when they have started to cut and redefine the gameplay?

Agreed. Take a look at Sony's publishing history - does anyone honestly think they expected all, or even most of them, to do AAA numbers? I seriously doubt anyone thought games like Rain, Unfinished Swan, Echochrome, Flow or Vib freaking Ribbon were going to break any sales records.

Sony have a long history of supporting more niche titles, they know the value of being seen to encourage beautiful, artistic games on their platform. Rescuing a smart, beautiful, artistic game that has a 94 metacritic (with user score to match), regularly appears in all time best lists, and is on the Museum of Modern Art's acquisition list, yet had pretty much been lost to the ravages of time? Not only that, but putting it back into the hands of its original creator? That is one hell of a prestige point. I honestly doubt they're all that concerned about sales in the grand scheme of things; the marketing opportunities are worth more than it could ever sell.

And forcing major gameplay changes onto it would kill that good will stone dead. Not going to happen.

As to Double Fine throwing their weight around with regards to platform choice, remember that they're a small game developer in negotiations with not one, but two multinational media giants. Much as I expect that everyone is there in good faith, I would still want to pick my battles very carefully if I were in that situation.

Obviously I have zero clue what's going to happen, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say PS4/Vita first, PC 1-6 months later (Win/Mac/Linux because Double Fine are awesome). Maybe a port to mobile after that (because Disney), though OTOH that might be seen as competing with Vita. Also outside chance it turns up on the PS+ freebie list the month it comes out on PC ;).

Disney is the publisher.

Disney is the publisher.

Huh, do you have a source for that? I recall the Sony event name-checking their Third Party Production group who were responsible for getting Borderlands 2 on Vita, which was released under the SCE banner. And Disney statements around the closure of LucasArts as a developer pretty much stated that they were moving to a pure licensing model. Basically I would have expected a dual publisher credit with Sony shouldering much of the actual publishing duties. If that's not the case that's kinda interesting, since it would imply Disney taking an actual honest-to-god interest in their LA properties.

Disney is the publisher.

Huh, do you have a source for that? I recall the Sony event name-checking their Third Party Production group who were responsible for getting Borderlands 2 on Vita, which was released under the SCE banner. And Disney statements around the closure of LucasArts as a developer pretty much stated that they were moving to a pure licensing model. Basically I would have expected a dual publisher credit with Sony shouldering much of the actual publishing duties. If that's not the case that's kinda interesting, since it would imply Disney taking an actual honest-to-god interest in their LA properties.

LucasArts does still publish games after they were purchased by Disney (Star Wars: Tiny Death Star being an example), but in this case I'm sure LucasArts is just acting as a licensor. I highly doubt that they will be the publisher when you have a media giant like Sony in the mix.

People like OP are why "normal" people think video game nerds are lame. Get a grip. You are embarrassing yourself. I couldn't be happier about the news, and I have ZERO intention of ever getting a PS4. Why then? Because it means more people will get to play this amazing game. Period.

LucasArts does still publish games after they were purchased by Disney (Star Wars: Tiny Death Star being an example), but in this case I'm sure LucasArts is just acting as a licensor. I highly doubt that they will be the publisher when you have a media giant like Sony in the mix.

Heh, true! OK, taking an interest in their LA properties a) that aren't Star Wars and b) in a context outside of Disney Interactive's current mobile/casual wheelhouse.

Also I somehow managed to miss that NimbleBit did a Death Star game. That's... a thing...

Anyway, I'm going to stop commenting on this topic, the title makes me sad.

I really don't understand why some people act with so much hate.

I was glad to see the news about the grim fandango remake, and i surely hope that there will be a pc version.

If not i will play it in 7-10 years when some good games are released for PS4 ^^

But even this is an exclusive PS4 thing? I really can understand why Tim took this opportunity. He would be stupid, if not o.O

p.s.:

Sorry for the bad english. I'm from mars.

Dont question my fandom. I Own original retail big box releases of all of the Lucasarts games. I run ScummVM and ResidualVM and replay them regularly. I own the remakes of Monkey Island 1 and 2 (you know the ones released on ALL platforms at the same time).

Dont make assumptions!

DUDE:

Spongebob-panics.gif

Your tone makes you a candidate for the 'dramatic Youtube comment readings' genre.

Maybe no one else was interested in the expensive process of remastering a game that was only a middling success when it came out. Maybe without this deal we would have nothing, but with this deal we'll eventually have a cross-platform version of Grim Fandango without the stupid tank controls.

From where I stand this is a major win for one of my favorite games (and it's so cool that Doublefine is involved, since I assume the IP is all Disney/Lucasarts and they could remaster it without DF or Tim's involvement at all).

The reason this happened is because Disney owns Lucas Arts do they get to decide what happens with the IP. Tim has nothing to do with this and you should be happy this is even happening.

Disney is the publisher.

Am I living in some alternate reality? Lucas Arts doesn't publish anything. Lucas Arts is CLOSED!! Google is your friend.

p.s.:

Sorry for the bad english. I'm from mars.

Please keep both of your nipples attached to your body.

Am I living in some alternate reality? Lucas Arts doesn't publish anything. Lucas Arts is CLOSED!! Google is your friend.

Nope, it's a bit more complicated than that:

After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.

LucasArts was shuttered as a developer, it still exists as a small team who deal with the business stuff - licensing Lucas properties for games. As evidenced by the fact that since the closure mobile games have been released under the LucasArts name.

Never got the chance to play Grim Fandango, so looking forward to the HD Remastering! Would prefer PC, but hey, Brutal Legend eventually came to PC, I can wait. Will be interesting to see how Grim Fandango does today in a world when smaller independent titles are now common on the PS Store next to the Battlefields and CoDs of this time. My guess is it will do pretty well, hopefully better than the sales it got on original release.

As for the people who are raging that he is doing a timed exclusive after doing Kickstarter... lolwut? I'm pretty sure "Doing a HD remaster of Grim Fandango on all platforms" was not one of the stretch goals of neither DFA or Massive Chalice. Unless someone changed them while I was not looking? 0_O

Besides if it does well enough, Lucasarts will probably happily re-release it for PC, Xbone etc, it wouldn't make good business sense not to. Just like taking the opportunity to re-release this critically acclaimed game today, even if it is using a timed exclusive. If it opens the possibility of seeing Robert Frost the Balloon in glorious high definition, I'm game.

Disney is the publisher.

LucasArts wasn't closed. Disney shut down development, but it remained open as a publisher and licensor. LucasArts is still in business at the Lucasfilm Presidio headquarters (where it has been since 2005), abeit with around 10 employees rather than the over 100 it had when it was also a developer.

Never got the chance to play Grim Fandango, so looking forward to the HD Remastering! Would prefer PC, but hey, Brutal Legend eventually came to PC, I can wait. Will be interesting to see how Grim Fandango does today in a world when smaller independent titles are now common on the PS Store next to the Battlefields and CoDs of this time. My guess is it will do pretty well, hopefully better than the sales it got on original release.

As for the people who are raging that he is doing a timed exclusive after doing Kickstarter... lolwut? I'm pretty sure "Doing a HD remaster of Grim Fandango on all platforms" was not one of the stretch goals of neither DFA or Massive Chalice. Unless someone changed them while I was not looking? 0_O

Besides if it does well enough, Lucasarts will probably happily re-release it for PC, Xbone etc, it wouldn't make good business sense not to. Just like taking the opportunity to re-release this critically acclaimed game today, even if it is using a timed exclusive. If it opens the possibility of seeing Robert Frost the Balloon in glorious high definition, I'm game.

Tim said several times on his twitter that other platform details would be soon. The exclusivity deal is about consoles what he also said.

I demand that Tim show up and the play the game alongside me. If he doesn't, I'M SO OUT OF HERE LADIES, GENTLEMEN, and SMIZMARS.

Smiles

Some fans just......

Okay i'll admit i'm one of those PC master race type of guys. I just never really push it like a fanatic. That said certain games no matter where you play them. They still offer a unique experience and Grim Fandango is just such a game despite it's one drawback. Could actually work really well with the Ps Vita and even PS4.

And the People who complain... then you finance the whole thing see if you still can rant on about it, trying to get these deals done must be balls hard. And we should be lucky and happy that it even happens cause honestly i never expected it even when i thought when Lucas Arts got shut down last year i was thinking sure Shafer wants to own his creations but he could spend a life time trying and not getting them. Then this is the next best thing ( I may have said something similar last year or i thought i did. ) I really look forward to this and see how it pans out.

Sure I'm curious what will happen with the other Lucas Ip's hopefully they will cross over as well.

In the end what i hope for is that these updates/remastered and or HD remakes are successful enough to continue to exist.

Or actually better then that.

Biggest e3 surprise :)

Get a clue. I despise platform exclusivity. Make it for everyone or dont bother, and certainly dont ignore the platform the game was made for, PC. Not the OS you ignorant pleb.

Its shocking how quickly people OK with corporations shitting on gamers in order to hold the rights to something. You're all sheep and should be ashamed of yourselves.

But platform exclusivity is good for competition, and competition means innovation

Thats exactly backwards. Exclusivity REDUCES competition because it fractures the player base. no longer is it competing against EVERY other other title its only competing against those on that specific platform. By its very definition platform exclusivity REDUCES competition and innovation.

Sorry, Cryocore, I cannot take you seriously if you honestly believe exclusives HURT the industry. As a matter of fact, that statement is so stupid and troll like, that I'm just going to flat out put you on ignore.

So, just in case anyone was left in any doubt about whether this is coming to PC or not,

obligations.PNG

It's awful and ridiculous that a thread like this and all the hoopla has to exist. It seems that a PC version will happen unless you think Tim is just trolling us more on Twitter. So that means there is a contract in place that allows Sony to claim Grim as an exclusive and muzzles DF from revealing any other plans. In other words, by contract Sony is allowed to lie to gamers and falsely claim Grim will be exclusive to PS4 and Vita. They never said it was console-exclusive on PS4, or timed exclusive, or anything like that... they claimed it's EXCLUSIVE, period. If they were honest and said Grim Fandango would be coming for PS4 and Vita, with PC and (probably) iPad versions to come later, there would be nothing but celebration. Instead because of the shady dealings, people are pissed off, probably for no reason.

What if someone goes out now and buys a PS4 just for Grim? If a Grim release for PC is revealed later, then that customer will realize he was tricked out of $400. Isn't that illegal? Isn't it false advertising to make bogus claims like that? I guess it's not illegal if they can get away with it. The games industry is really shady sometimes.

I don't blame Tim and DF for signing into the contract if it was the only way to make this project happen. It is worth it. But whoever decided to put in that clause that allows Sony to lie to gamers is a dick.

I could be wrong, but i don't remember them ever claiming it was exclusive or even console exclusive. I believe they just said it was coming to PS4 and Vita, and didn't bother to mention anything else. They did the same thing with GTA V on PS4 too.

EDIT: Watching the clip again, it looks like I was wrong.