Sign in to follow this  
Cryocore

Hey Tim! Thanks for taking a massive dump all over the PC fans that adore Grim Fandango!

Sony shouldn't be able to claim an exclusive where there is no exclusive, or if it's a qualified exclusive, that's true. That's simply misleading advertising at best.

However, I don't think there's anything too shady about requiring a holdback on other platform announcements, that's just a marketing decision. It only becomes a problem if they start misleading about exclusivity, which they have. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim and co aren't too happy with Sony for that as they've had to now spend time trying to reassure people that it's not as exclusive as all that without breaking the terms of their contract.

The PC version will undoubtedly come. However, that "dump" the OP talked about... please consider:

(1) THE CONTROLS WILL PROBABLY BE THE SAME ON PC.

Grim Fandango's deeply problematic controls will work in an almost acceptable way on console. Is there REALLY the chance that DF will put the far greater effort into the PC version and make it a proper point and click adventure game? I can't imagine that happening, unfortunately.

(2) THE TIME FRAME FOR THE PC RELEASE.

In early 2015, DF will probably have worked for three consecutive years on the very simplest of PC 2D adventure games. There's just too much on their slate. Even if Fresh Fandango is NOT a timed PS4 exclusive, even if they're doing nothing but to brush up on the graphics a bit, it'll still take AGES to get out there.

(3) STEAM EXCLUSIVITY

Would Disney consent to anything but that? Does DF even have a say as to day one Humble or GOG releases? Practically the same exclusivity that applies to consoles would apply to the PC as well.

The PC version will undoubtedly come. However, that "dump" the OP talked about... please consider:

Grim Fandango's deeply problematic controls will work in an almost acceptable way on console. Is there REALLY the chance that DF will put the far greater effort into the PC version and make it a proper point and click adventure game? I can't imagine that happening, unfortunately.

In early 2015, DF will probably have worked for three consecutive years on the very simplest of PC 2D adventure games. There's just too much on their slate. Even if Fresh Fandango is NOT a timed PS4 exclusive, even if they're doing nothing but to brush up on the graphics a bit, it'll still take AGES to get out there.

(3) STEAM EXCLUSIVITY

Would Disney consent to anything but that? Does DF even have a say as to day one Humble or GOG releases? Practically the same exclusivity that applies to consoles would apply to the PC as well.

(1) As for "Proper point and click" that's a weird way of putting it, assuming P&C controls are automatically superior. Tim has recently defended the so called 'tank' controls, and I don't think that they're half as 'deeply problematic' as people say. I'm not saying they're perfect, but they did have their advantages (e.g. enabling use of camera angles that would have made navigation tricky with a mouse) And as you acknowledge, they work pretty well with a controller. Do PC gamers in 2014 really still not have a controller? That said,

a) I know someone's modded GF to work with a mouse, and it works pretty okay, and they've already said they're interested in looking at some of the improvements community have made.

b) Tim mentioned in a tweet the other day, that there'll probably be a few different control methods on offer.

(2) Well that's just a string of assumptions out of nowhere. You don't know what work is being done on GF, how many resources they're putting into it, how much of the work is being done by the other 3rd party developer mentioned in the conference. Also, since it's been announced it's probably reasonably safe to assume work is underway, and there has to be a limited budget for this one, which limits the amount of time it could possibly take. Also, I think it's a bit cheeky to call Broken Age the 'simplest of 2D adventure games' considering the amount of tech that's going into that engine. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual technical bits of GF turn out to be rather simpler, and of course the actual GAME is already made.

(3) Disney may just be acting as a licensor, rather than a publishing partner. If so, it's plausible that they wouldn't really have a say in release platforms. Sony might be the publishing partner, and I don't know what their policies are with that stuff, but in any case I tire of this sort of pre-whining about a deal which a week ago sounded impossible. There's literally no downside here.

There's already a mod that gives Grim a point & click interface. In the retrospective Tim specifically says that they want to reach out to the mod community when they get started on retouching things. He also repeatedly joked about the tank controls on twitter and in one case said that he's sure they'll include other options. If there isn't a P&C option on PC and maybe on Vita, I'll make myself a hat from cake and then eat that hat.

Broken Age is a game made from complete scratch, including a ton of engine tweaks and tooling, using a very time intensive art style. There's nothing "Simple" about it from a technical perspective. It's also still supposed to be coming out before the end of the year as far as I know? Even in a worst case scenario where Grim has to be ported to a completely new engine, all the creative work has been done and I'm sure there's tons of code that can be converted with minimal human intervention. Hell, we know from his sidequest that Brandon successfully ported Grim to XNA on his own before he joined Double Fine. I'd be shocked if it takes more than a year.

And honestly, even if it did take ages to come out, so what? It's been 15 years and we thought it was never coming back at all. Complaining about another year or two on top of that just seems insane to me.

(3) STEAM EXCLUSIVITY

We have no idea what it will come out on besides PS4 and Vita (and probably not X360/One or Wii(U) as Tim called it a console exclusive). I'm sure Double Fine will be fighting for it to come out on as many platforms as possible and in the case of PC to come to Windows/Mac/Linux on Steam/Humble/GOG because that's Double Fine's policy. If it has DRM you can bet that decision came from Sony and/or Disney (more likely the former as I suspect Disney will be pretty hands off), and blaming Tim will be a whole heap of misdirected anger.

So yeeeeeeeeah, I wouldn't call a bunch of minor issues that might not even be true "Dumping" on anyone. Maybe we should wait for some actual concrete information other than "It's coming out" and then we can moan about the stuff we don't like :)

Sony might be the publishing partner, and I don't know what their policies are with that stuff, but in any case I tire of this sort of pre-whining about a deal which a week ago sounded impossible. There's literally no downside here.

Exactly, thank you. This thread reminds me so much of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpUNA2nutbk#t=228

"Like, dude, how does the world owe you something you didn't even know existed 30 seconds ago?"

If there isn't a P&C option on PC and maybe on Vita, I'll make myself a hat from cake and then eat that hat.
I'd be shocked if it takes more than a year.

Will hold you to that stuff.

If it has DRM you can bet that decision came from Sony and/or Disney

Yes, that was almost exactly what I was saying.

There’s literally no downside here.

The first post in this thread presents one extreme view, but yours literally is the opposite extreme. I can't find sense in either.

Will hold you to that stuff.

Go for it! I'll be sure to provide photographic evidence of hatcake (hooray for hedging your bets) and/or shocked expression :)

If it has DRM you can bet that decision came from Sony and/or Disney

Yes, that was almost exactly what I was saying.

Sure, so why does it count as Tim taking a dump on us? Especially before anything has even been announced. Guaranteed if DRM-free is anything other than a losing battle, DF will be fighting for it. And since I'm sure Sony care about PS way more than PC (and it's something of a prestige/kudos project anyway), they might even win! But I agree it's a long shot.

There’s literally no downside here.

The first post in this thread presents one extreme view, but yours literally is the opposite extreme. I can't find sense in either.

I didn't say that :). Pedantry aside It would be a bit sucky if any of the scenarios you list come about (well, from a selfish perspective I wouldn't mind unchanged controls since I primarily intend to play on Vita). But to be honest short of Sony deciding to resurrect SecuROM and infect us all with rootkits, I have difficulty envisioning any scenario that has much of a down side if the alternative is "Game stays locked in the Lucas vaults forever". Even if the game were coming out as an XBox One exclusive and I'd have zero chance of playing it, I'd still be happy that more people get to experience one of my all time favourite games.

Actually, we don't even know that Double Fine isn't publishing the PC version themselves. In the tweet, they said that sony has been a great help in helping make the console version happen. Disney are likely to mainly be interested in collecting a royalty check from this, it's plausible that they're leaving the details of how to handle the PC release up to DF. We don't know.

Actually, we don't even know that Double Fine isn't publishing the PC version themselves. In the tweet, they said that sony has been a great help in helping make the console version happen. Disney are likely to mainly be interested in collecting a royalty check from this, it's plausible that they're leaving the details of how to handle the PC release up to DF. We don't know.

That's... a fair point actually. Have Sony ever actually published a PC game that wasn't an SOE MMO? Google - Payday: The Heist is the only example I see - which is kind of a weird one (also still multiplayer, just missing that first M). Maybe the dev didn't have a route onto Steam and Sony gave them one as part of the console exclusivity deal? Given DF have a strong position of their own for PC distribution I could see Sony taking a back seat whilst still keeping their name "On the box" somewhere to remind people who sealed the deal. We live in hope!

Anyway blah conjecture etc. gonna stay out of it until there's an official announcement (honest).

Not f**king acceptable!

After all the love you garnered with Kickstarter you go back and ignore every Grim Fandango PC gamer with an exclusivity deal!

Firstly, what the hell does the Kickstarter have to do with anything?

Secondly, this is exactly like complaining that the Monkey Island Special Editions were not made available on the Amiga. Time moves on. That's what happens if you insist on living.

Thirdly, you're a massive troll. You know damned well it's coming to the PC eventually, as we all do. They just can't officially announce it yet.

CRYOCORE: BLOCKED

I'll say this while the thread is still at the top - Cryocore is long gone, and we've all debunked his silly arguments, so if you disagree with this thread's sentiment, don't post in it! It makes me sad to keep seeing the nasty title sitting at the top of the board - a tear probably runs down Tim's beardy cheek every time it gets bumped!

Well he certainly puts the CRY in Cryocore. When did gamers suddenly decide to become so damn petulant and self-entitled?

I bought the original on PC when it first came out and I'll happily buy and play the remastered version day 1 on my PS4 from my couch. Haters gonna hate.

Well he certainly puts the CRY in Cryocore. When did gamers suddenly decide to become so damn petulant and self-entitled?

Suddenly?

It's been like this for a long time now. People complain if a character's hat is tilted the wrong way these days.

Suddenly?

It's been like this for a long time now. People complain if a character's hat is tilted the wrong way these days.

I guess growing up with games since the 2600/NES days has kind of condensed the 'entitlement era' down for me a bit. Feels like it started a little after the 360 and PS3 hit the market, but the PC 'master gaming race' always seems to spew the most vitriol despite having access to the largest library and exclusives, bar none. It amazes me how seriously some people take their precious pixels.

but the PC 'master gaming race' always seems to spew the most vitriol despite having access to the largest library and exclusives, bar none. It amazes me how seriously some people take their precious pixels.

Nah, the console peasants can be just as obnoxious. This was true even back when it was Nintendo vs Sega, just less visible due to internet not being as readily available. Just... stay away from the console wars, there are no winners there.

Nah, the console peasants can be just as obnoxious. This was true even back when it was Nintendo vs Sega, just less visible due to internet not being as readily available. Just... stay away from the console wars, there are no winners there.

I've always had both so it's been easy for me to not really care one way or the other. But all I've heard lately are PC elitists whining about how consoles are holding their precious gaming experiences back because of inferior specs and developer laziness. They just can't comprehend how some people love the cost-appealing simplicity of plopping down on your couch with a big TV for some local co-op and having something work the way it was intended by just inserting a disc and not having to tweak settings for an hour without having to upgrade anything, ever. All for a fraction of the cost. At least console fans just bicker between themselves (unless provoked.)

Reap your heart out! We're pleased to announce Grim Fandango will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux alongside PlayStation 4 and Vita!

I guess this news would be the equivalent of a golden shower? :P

It's like Sony essentially had a 30 day waiting period for letting everyone else know about PC, Mac, and Linux, either to make sure the initial focus was on their Sony products, or to get news cycles out of one announcement, or both, or something else I am not thinking of.

I look forward to playing it though!

Smiles

Reap your heart out! We're pleased to announce Grim Fandango will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux alongside PlayStation 4 and Vita!

I guess this news would be the equivalent of a golden shower? :P

I'm not surprised by this announcement at all. Tim was hinting as hard as he could on Twitter that there'd be a PC version as well, it was pretty obvious that Sony just wasn't allowing him to talk about it at the time.

Considering Sony approaching Disney is the reason any of this is happening, I'm fine with them having a 30-Day announcement, hell I;d even be ok if they had a month release exclusive window. Bitch all you want but without Sony I doubt Grim Fandango would even be mentioned by Disney and just left aside to rot just like all other LucasArts IP's that arn't Star Wars.

I really hope it can be changed to point and click and I might be able to finish the thing without rage quitting!

So, crisis averted then? :P

I really hope it can be changed to point and click and I might be able to finish the thing without rage quitting!

Tim talked about the Grim Mouse mod of ResidualVM that converts Grim Fandango to a point and click adventure, and he said he's interested in talking with fans who have done modifications of Grim Fandango to help with remastered, so hopefully mouse control will be an option.

TIM, HOW DARE YOU RUIN OUR ABILITY TO BE UPSET ABOUT THINGS DESPITE ALL THE LOGICAL EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY. ONCE WE'D GOTTEN NICE AND COMFORTABLE WITH THE SIZABLE DUMP YOU TOOK ON US, YOU CLEAN IT ALL OFF. HOW RUDE.

I WAS ALL MAD ABOUT THERE NOT BEING A PC ANNOUNCEMENT, SO OF COURSE YOU GO AHEAD AND ANNOUNCE IT ON THE PC. WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO DIRECT MY IRRATIONAL ANGER AT NOW? IRRATIONAL GAMES? BECAUSE THEY'RE OUT OF BUSINESS.