Sign in to follow this  
Star

GRIM FANDANGO HD REMAKE

DANG! Did not see that coming to Sony or anything ever again. What do you think? Will it translate well to controllers or to modern graphics or will it keep most of the original aesthetics ?

Finally a reason to get one! Can't believe Sony teamed with DoubleFine AND Disney that's just risky but the right kind of risky.

It does have tank controls, so it's probably one of the easier Lucas Arts adventures to translate to consoles without any major redesigns. Being a Sony exclusive is a bit of a bummer though. Hopefully it will make it's way to PCs or tablets eventually. I'm curious how major a visual update it will get. If it is coming to ps4 i would have to imagine most of the old assets wont scale well to large hi-def TVs and they will need to be redone. Hopefully they have a decent budget and can put some time into making the environments look really nice.

I'm so stoked about this! I would love to see a documentary or some behind the scenes footage of the team remastering this. Especially since I feel like I know these guys from watching the Broken Age videos.

This was the best news ever for me.

If they had announced a Vib Ribbon sequel that would've been better news.

But they didn't so this is it.

Yay Grim Fandango HD remake!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Wow, that's unexpected and totally welcome! Such a cute way to introduce it, with Justin's daughter (according to his twitter). Couldn't be more excited, didn't someone in a sidequest mention they fixed the grim code as a hobby before they worked at doublefine? After all the Broken Age experience they have, this is really going to be something.

So many questions, how will you update it graphically and control wise?, what will you leave the same, the low poly feel? dual modes? Wow folks, so cool!

This is so cool indeed! Console seller for me if they remake it with the heart of the original intact. Nice that Disney endorsed it, and was there also another development studio involved or something?

Edit: Nope, twas me who heard wrong when they said "Double Fine in tandem with our third party production team" =)

I'm so happy. I think I...I think I feel the tears coming on. It's so beautiful.

Great news on the Grim remake. I hope it will be possible to get the original voice actors back together (if any re-recording is going to happen)

Anyway, just came on here to wish the team at DF good luck with this. Hopefully, if it is successful, Disney will greenlight updates of DOTT and other Lucasarts classics.

That's awesome news! I still have my original copy but I'm looking forward to playing the remastered version if/when it gets a cross platform PC release.

By the way, I hope they fix the bug that doesn't let you talk to Domino in year three, one of the most important conversations in the game.

By the way, I hope they fix the bug that doesn't let you talk to Domino in year three, one of the most important conversations in the game.

I'm sure they will. Tim knows about the bug now since he tweeted about it when the ResidualVM team fixed it in their interpreter.

Disapointing that it's a Sony exclusive. I'm kinda hoping that this is just a temporary arrangement. I've been dying to play this for years, but I'm not going to buy another console for a 15 year old game. There just aren't enough games on their systems that interest me.

Wonderful news!!!! I guess that's the end of Grim Fandango Deluxe for a while :)

I hope it comes to PC at some point!

Yes, PC version, please. It's not like DF doesn't already develop for Windows or Linux.

It's a weird game to be remastered isn't it ??

The pre-rendered backgrounds still look really good, and the are designed to be low poly.

What are they going to do ? Same backgrounds higher res with new models, point n click interface or a full 3D game ?

But I will probably buy it for pc.

It's a weird game to be remastered isn't it ??

The pre-rendered backgrounds still look really good, and the are designed to be low poly.

What are they going to do ? Same backgrounds higher res with new models, point n click interface or a full 3D game ?

But I will probably buy it for pc.

"Remastering" in this context probably means rerendering the backgrounds at a significantly higher resolution and aspect ratio (16:9, possibly 16:10 like Broken Age) and making the damn thing run on modern operating systems outside of SCUMM/Residual.

Good Work, Sally T.

I love the Sony/Disney special relationship.

Maybe they can give Monkey Island back to Nor Treblig

I'd love it to include a large concept art gallery, if that stuff still exists. Maybe some more of Tim's design notebook. Think the melbourne orchestra would do a fully orchestrated score with McConnell?

I would love to see more enhancements to the game but with LucasArts apparently secretly non-officially working on DOTT before they were shut down Disney can allow Doublefine to finish off all the bugs whatever was left for a perfect remaster. I would also love to see a full throttle and sam and max remake/redux/Hd remake whatever in vain of the Monkey Island games. Now is a perfect time to bring back adventure games into the mainstream with their popularity recently increasing from companies like TellTale Games and German Development teams. Hope to see more in a Broken Age update or just out to the public. Good luck to Doublefine.

...surely it would be of little investment but of big reward on your part to finish it off and release it. *crosses fingers*

Don't forget that they likely won't have the same devs looking at the code, which means taking the time to learn a completely new codebase, which is NOT a quick and easy thing to do (And thus not cheap).

I look forward to the possibility of playing older games again on current era machines.

Smiles

Depends on which engine they used and such and it wouldn't be an impossible task. Honestly I can't think of how they will be remaking Grim. I assume from scratch since they probably don't have any of the old assets which is a shame, but would they stick with the original shape and style or redo most of the game to look much more appealing and modern to other audiences. And I'm sure Tim being Tim had lots more planned so do you think it'll be a basic update or a whole new retelling of the story we love?