Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star

GRIM FANDANGO HD REMAKE

I wonder if Tim has anything in the game he always wanted to do but couldn't, I hope he gets a chance to change it up.

I always felt Hector LeMan's introduction in the story was a little rushed... I hope he makes a proper introduction this time.

GAH Can't wait! Grim Fandango is my favorite game of all time.

I played up to part way through act 2 yesterday just for kicks. It's very playable with a gamepad controller IMO (which is how I originally played it, even on the PC) except that some of the bounding boxes makes Manny shuffle horribly and the camera angle changes make it hard to use camera-relative movement. I found myself switching occasionally to character relative movement a few times in difficult parts. It would be nice if they do the cut scenes in engine this time around. I don't imagine them adding much new content (depending on how much money Disney and Sony are throwing at it), but I'd buy it on the PC anyway just to support DF.

I actually hope they DON'T change things too much. I'm happy for the world to be more fully realised and immersive (and less annoying to traverse -- Manny getting stuck against a wall was always annoying), but I don't want them to start changing things tooooo much.

The videos need to be re-rendered, obviously, but the editing, camera angles, music and dialogue is already damned perfect. Sure, improve the models, the animation, the lighting, the resolution, but there's no need to go TWIN SNAKES.

Actually, thinking about it, if they were to change anything, then getting the player more emotionally attached to Lola would be good. Some dialogue explaining her hopes and dreams would be enough.

I actually hope they DON'T change things too much.

I had hoped for quite extensive changes actually, a complete "remake" in fact in the best sense of the word. It's not happening though. I don't think they'll even add additional dialog and stuff. New 3D models, new backgrounds, some bug fixes, off you go into the cruel harsh console world.

I mean, consider the possibilities.

Originally, the game was to be shipped in the first half of 1998 but was delayed; as a result, the game was released on October 30, 1998, the Friday before November 2, the actual date of the Day of the Dead celebration. Even with the delay, the team had to drop several of the puzzles and characters from the game, including a climactic five-step puzzle against Hector LeMans at the conclusion of the game; Schafer later noted that they would have needed one to two more years to implement their original designs.

Best case scenario, they won't just deliver high res graphics much closer to the high contrast concept drawings, but fiddle with perspectives as well better adjusted to wide screens.

Meh, remakes seriously run the risk of ruining what made the original so special. And it wouldn't solve the problem that the original isn't readily available (which many would want to play for nostalgic reasons). And it would be a waste of creative energy that better should be put into new ideas.

I guess Tim must have some idea of what he imagines a HD version will look like. With a game like GF, provided Manny still looks like Manny (unlike Guybrush with his ridiculous new hair in the MI:SE), and still sounds like Manny, I don't see why there should be any issues. The game's strongest points are the storyline, puzzles, and dialogue. The wonderful music and beautiful world (especially Year Two -- LOVE Rubacava so much!) will I'm sure stay the same, too. No remake should need to significantly change those things.

But, of course, you have to wonder what they COULD do. If GF was being made from scratch now, what would it look like? Would they keep the pre-rendered backgrounds? Would it be a completely 3D world? Would it be Manny-centric and could you rotate the camera? I actually think making it completely 3D, with a GEARS OF WAR style camera, might ruin the game's world, to be honest.

Re-pre-rendering the backgrounds in HD would allow for finer detail and better lighting, which might just be enough to make all the difference.

Or, a third option could be in between: They could build everything in 3D so that the camera can move, but essentially stay with the same angle. (Consider the Garage in Year One -- the camera could pan and zoom in and out, rather than jumping screens whenever Manny reached the edge.) I think this could be a great compromise, actually.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. It's already a wonderful game, but it could actually be a wonderful remake, too.

Hey this news is fantastic and I made a response video that I would love some adventure gamers feedback on the idea of bringing these iconic characters to Disney Infinity.

And hey if you don't like Disney Infinity tha'ts cool feel free not to comment, but I would love a genuine discussion about it.

thats cool news although Im usually very skeptical of remakes. grim could actually use one visually!

whos the 3rd party developer??

I am dying to know as well as some other posters here if this might be an 'uncut' version of the game.

To recap: some years back Tim Schafer released a puzzle document of Grim Fandango that showed how the game's puzzle structure was originally more elaborate but had to be cut due to limited development time. He was quoted to say "If only we had one or two more years!" on this topic, specifying a multi-puzzle action climax and unknown characters.

This might be a case of getting a finger and taking a hand, but I would just love Grim Fandango to shine in the light of an original vision that never got realized.

I understand that two more development years would be absurd to expect for a remake. But sixteen years have come and gone since the original release of Grim Fandango, with new programming tools improving the production process significantly. How much development time would those 'one or two' years be today?

Good points EeryPetrol!

To be fair I'm a bit tired of reading the "This game was perfect, why would they change anything (apart from the controls, obvs.)?" comments.

Grim is still my favourite game, it was one of the first adventure games I ever played and stands up so well in comparison to any other game of the genre that it truly deserves this iconic status.

But let's get some things clear: nothing's perfect. Even my favourite thing about this game, Pete Mc's astonishing soundtrack sounds synthetic and grating in a few places with pretty limited compression even on the live recordings. One thing I have always wished for was an orchestral re-recording of the faux-symphonic sections and a remastering of the superb jazz/mariachi/tango themes*. Can't we agree that this will be "a good thing"?

Secondly, the look of the game was brilliant at the time; pre-rendered backgrounds meant no blocky or unwieldy texturing. But adding low res 3D characters/props into this mix did not help to make the game any more immersive. The FMVs did a great job of tying into the look of the gameplay without changing the look entirely (which still gets done today; hang your head in shame, 'Gray Matter'), but the compression, again - coupled with waiting for the hourglass, back in the days we played this on disc - were limitations of the time and really do affect how you respond to the game. If we could see a new graphical interpretation that matches up to the finesse of Peter Chan's excellent concept art then that would tick another large box for me.

Of course, the representation will also feed into movement and navigation: I'm not entirely convinced that 3rd person navigation and control won't work, but I get the feeling it will be problematic in some areas and also Double Fine would probably never hear the end of it from the Purists. Also, if the game is going to be usable on tablets and phones then full on 3D will just be another headache. I have one request for updating the navigation though: as much as I loved the second year in Rubacava, it would be such a relief if there was a mapped navigation system that didn't require having to run through all the locations loads of times to get to where you want to be!

I'm sure I will appreciate the remake in whatever form it takes, after all, these are probably just personal things which didn't bother everyone else. But most of all, if Double Fine can achieve one thing (besides bug fixes of course), like EeryPetrol and other have said, it would be most welcome to let long time fans see some of the content that we were never a party to before and make this a worthwhile investment for all!

I know I'm late to the party, but if they tweak the puzzles I hope there's going to be an option with the original difficulty. The arrow sign puzzle in particular was my favorite - I'd be really sad if it was made easier simply because some people are too dumb to do the maths and complained about it.

Also, unless something goes terribly wrong with the remake, I'm buying this for sure. :)

I just wish it wasn't a console exclusive!

I was going to try to write something else but I just can't get around this feeling.

If Sony's involvement was the only way a remake could have happened, then fine - it's a great game and I loved playing the original all those years ago, if it has a chance to come back then that's brilliant.

But I'm not paying $400+ for a console just to play it.

I had an Amiga 500 before I was given a NES for Christmas in 1989 and I have never since owned a Sony console - I can't really justify one now based on this game, however much I would love it.

It makes me sad to admit I may never play this game- I'm sure I'm not alone either.

I just wish it wasn't a console exclusive!

I was going to try to write something else but I just can't get around this feeling.

If Sony's involvement was the only way a remake could have happened, then fine - it's a great game and I loved playing the original all those years ago, if it has a chance to come back then that's brilliant.

But I'm not paying $400+ for a console just to play it.

I had an Amiga 500 before I was given a NES for Christmas in 1989 and I have never since owned a Sony console - I can't really justify one now based on this game, however much I would love it.

It makes me sad to admit I may never play this game- I'm sure I'm not alone either.

I guess you didn't read closely enough; in the realm of consoles, yes, it's a PS3/PS4 exclusive; but it's also being made available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.

Yeah to be fair, I could have acknowledged the PC and MAC releases but I was just ranting about the console situation mainly.

I work all day on a mac and when I get home, the last thing I want to do is sit on another mac all evening.

My gaming habits have changed as I have gotten older and now I am more of a casual gamer who will maybe pick up the console controller randomly for an hour when there is nothing to watch on the television or in between washing up and taking the bins out.

An insight into my life there lol

Sign in to follow this