Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

German dub for Grim Fandango Remastered please!

I remember that the German translation of to sprout, ersprießen, was a nice pun on the word erschießen, which can be translated into English as to shoot. The word is normally merely used in the context with persons.

To the people who have fond memories of the localised dubs, could you tell us some more about them? Why did they stand out from others at the same time? How did they deal with the Mexican lingo and accents? Any other interesting stuff you could tell us? Thanks! It's not something I really thought about, outside of the Robert Frost change thing (which I always thought was a little unnecessary, actually!).

It's an... imprinting kind of thing.

In those years the Italian publisher of LucasArts games (the late CTO Spa), managed to get many good voice over actors to record our versions. Grim Fandango was one of their best efforts: Manny was dubbed by the same guy who did Shrek, Renato Cecchetto, with a deep, charismatic voice.

I agree the English version is the best (I played them both). Our Italian edition lost many Spanish accents, but I think it was a cultural choice: in Italy, the Spanish accent is often associated with funny over-the-top characters, so the company retained the accent for the funniest characters, but decided to clean Manny's pronunciation (except for some particular expressions).

I'm not saying the Italian version is better than the original. No way. But it's part of our national videogaming culture anyway, and it shouldn't be forgotten. ;-)

To the people who have fond memories of the localised dubs, could you tell us some more about them? Why did they stand out from others at the same time? How did they deal with the Mexican lingo and accents? Any other interesting stuff you could tell us? Thanks! It's not something I really thought about, outside of the Robert Frost change thing (which I always thought was a little unnecessary, actually!).

It's an... imprinting kind of thing.

In those years the Italian publisher of LucasArts games (the late CTO Spa), managed to get many good voice over actors to record our versions. Grim Fandango was one of their best efforts: Manny was dubbed by the same guy who did Shrek, Renato Cecchetto, with a deep, charismatic voice.

I agree the English version is the best (I played them both). Our Italian edition lost many Spanish accents, but I think it was a cultural choice: in Italy, the Spanish accent is often associated with funny over-the-top characters, so the company retained the accent for the funniest characters, but decided to clean Manny's pronunciation (except for some particular expressions).

I'm not saying the Italian version is better than the original. No way. But it's part of our national videogaming culture anyway, and it shouldn't be forgotten. ;-)

Interesting stuff! Nice to hear that more than 15 years ago both the German and the Italian localized versions got such great voice actors. Having great actors is not always a guarantee for great dubbing though. I remember they cast Carice van Houten for the Dutch dub of Heavy Rain. Some of you may know her as the Red Lady from Game of Thrones. She is known as a great actress, but the dub really REALLY sucked. But maybe it's just something personal, I often can't stand listening to acting in my own language, not even live action acting. It often sounds kind of fake or forced.

The different accents in Grim Fandango are interesting, and have a lot of depth to them. Even though most of the characters have lovely Hispanic/Latin names, most of them don't have Spanish accents. A lot of them sound American. Manny, Meche, Celso, Salvador, Chowchilla Charlie, the Florist, the purple demon all have some kind of Spanish accent, but they are also very different from each other. They sound like they have different Hispanic backgrounds. For example, some could be typical Mexican, some Cuban, some actual Spanish? I suppose Manny's accent must be Cuban, because his actor Tony Plana is from Cuba? (I love listing to him on Ugly Betty, it's just more Manny!) I'm no expert, but I would love to know the origins of their accents.

Other accents in the game stand out in particular. Chief Bogen sounds British. The Croupier (same voice actor as dockmaster Velasco) and Raoul the waiter are clearly French. Nick Virago sounds Irish. Toto Santos is Russian? I wonder how these accents are transferred to the dubbed versions of the game. Or are there maybe any other kinds of accents in your dubbed versions that weren't in the English version?

I asked Tim in Twitter about the different languages of the original release, he told me that we will have again the original localizations.

Also Greg Rice -Double Fine producer- told that not only the game will come with all the languages, they will adjust the labial synchronization with each one as well!

http://www.aventuraycia.com/noticias/se-confirman-los-detalles-de-la-remasterizacion-de-grim-fandango/

P.D: I wish they would rewrite the spanish translation since it's pretty faulty, I don't think they would do that thought.

Interesting stuff! The world of translation is a weird one. God knows how films like Airplane are translated -- nearly every joke is some kind of play on words.

Italian dub with Vinny Vedecci PLEASE!

I would also not be upset by an Italian dub. :)

Yes the original versions are mostly better. Sam and Max hit the road for example. But I think the German voice of Grim Fandango was slightly better. Espacially Manny!

Yes the original versions are mostly better. Sam and Max hit the road for example. But I think the German voice of Grim Fandango was slightly better. Espacially Manny!

No one can top Tony Plana.

Actually Manny demonstrates pretty well how much better the english version is.

Alf + some artificial accent without nuances is so much worse than Tony Plana. Piper made other nice jobs, like Finnegan in Memory-Alpha.

If your opinions differ, Dr. Rockwell from Seattle might be able to offer some assistance.

Actually Manny demonstrates pretty well how much better the english version is.

Alf + some artificial accent without nuances is so much worse than Tony Plana. Piper made other nice jobs, like Finnegan in Memory-Alpha.

If your opinions differ, Dr. Rockwell from Seattle might be able to offer some assistance.

I agree on all other adventure games from LucasArts. Especially my fav. adventure game Dott. Well it was the first american adventure game what was dubbed in German. But the German version is bad. :-P Well one of my favourite voice actors is Nick Jameson! :) Unquestionably!

Maybe it´s because I´m used to it but the German GF is better. Just my 2 cents, sorry. ;)

There are plenty at youtube.

Spanish Manny is incredible, I'ts a shame the translation is pretty faulty.

There are plenty at youtube.

By which I meant, would anyone like to link to a video that they feel particularly shows off the qualities of said dubs.

Thanks Malleys! That does sound like a good dub, although it seems the actors need to speak pretty fast to get everything in! What kind of translation problems are there?

I asked Tim in Twitter about the different languages of the original release, he told me that we will have again the original localizations.

Also Greg Rice -Double Fine producer- told that not only the game will come with all the languages, they will adjust the labial synchronization with each one as well!

http://www.aventuraycia.com/noticias/se-confirman-los-detalles-de-la-remasterizacion-de-grim-fandango/

P.D: I wish they would rewrite the spanish translation since it's pretty faulty, I don't think they would do that thought.

This is great news, thanks Malleys. Now I really can't wait to play Grim Fandango again.

Thanks Malleys! That does sound like a good dub, although it seems the actors need to speak pretty fast to get everything in! What kind of translation problems are there?

Sorry for the delay Ben. The issues with the original translation are basically common errors, from badly translated phrasal verbs to idioms and uses that are directly translated or plainly misunderstood, which lead to sentences that make absolutely no sense.

Fortunately the moments in which the conversations make no sense at all are few, but still...

Here's two examples.

tumblr_nam8x3h5cj1qhb8v8o1_500.png

tumblr_nam8x3h5cj1qhb8v8o2_500.png

In this line the spanish translation reads "I've just locked a door that was open", ruining the joke.

Then we have this scene, that may be the worst translated in the entire game. I didn’t understand a shit when I first played until I saw it in english.

pHFqdqn.png

If you don't remember the dialog watch it

First of all Charlie says the muscle sentence literally, which has no meaning in Spanish

When Manny ask about why there's no goons the Spanish version make him say "what's up Chuck? can't I count on idiots like you for a job like this?" (???)

And then Charlie responds with an "I can be an idiot as much as needed" (????????)

Yep, the translator mistakes goon as in thug for goon as in idiot.

As with Broken Age Part 2, I was happy to wait for your reply!

Interesting to see how seemingly simple sentences can get lost in translation due to quirks of language!

I'm intrigued to see whether these translations can/will be used by DF and if so whether they'll be 'remastered' in any way...

It seems unlikely that the dialogue will get changed, but it's indeed pretty interesting how some of these get lost.

Like "I'm all the goon I need" is an interesting example.

I can see why they struggled there. It's a great line, but it sort of relies on the word 'goon' which does basically mean thug but the connotations are basically a stupid thug that just does what he's told. So when he's saying "I'm all the goon I need" he is saying that he doesn't need anyone else to help him, but in his effort to sound cool he's also called himself stupid. That's why I like that line so much. But unless there's a word in spanish that would carry all the same connotations, the joke is bound to get lost.

What they seem to have done here, is rather than lose the joke, and just keep the meaning - by having Charlie say something to the effect of "I don't need anyone else" they seem to have attempted to preserve the joke, but in doing so have lost some of the meaning.

On the other hand, the 'locked a door that was open' seems to be a case of something getting lost in translation because the translators didn't have a clear idea of what was happening in the game.

Sign in to follow this