Sign in to follow this  
focuspuller

Grim Fandango Remastered on PC

I'm going to state the obvious, because it needs to be stated for the record. And the sooner the better right? This needs to come to PC!!

I know that Sony want exciting new (and old) content for it's new system, but to NOT release this on PC would be a crime punishable by being stuck in the underworld!

Who agrees? Thoughts?

No, they should make a single copy and burn it in livestream just for the lolz.

Considering the other thread about this is fuelled by mindless moronic rage, I'm going to post here.

I don't have a console, and I'd be really pissed if this didn't get a PC release. Of course Tim doesn't have any hand in that, and he's lucky he managed to get Disney to agree to a remastered version at all, but I really, really, really hope he managed to get a PC release out of the deal too.

I mean, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Playstation isn't exactly competing with PC right? It's the other console's they want to one-up, I always got the impression there really isn't that much competition between PC and consoles. (People I know are either PC people, Console People, or Both people. But the PC people wouldn't even want a Console and vice versa.)

Tim said he'll be talking about other platforms soon, and he also said that Sony has console exclusivity on the game (meaning you won't see it on Xbox or Nintendo, but console exclusivity doesn't prevent a game from releasing on other platforms, like the PC), so all signs point towards a likely PC release as well.

Seems like he's probably unable to say exactly what the other platforms will be yet due to contractual shenanigans, or else he probably would have outright confirmed it on Twitter by now. We'll just have to wait and see.

The news brought back memories of me designing Grim Fandango levels on Little Big Planet.

I'll just pimp my levels here http://lbp.me/v/q9jtq8 and here http://lbp.me/v/qj0kwx and thus declare that I got Grim Fandango on Sony Platforms FIRST!!!!!

But in all seriousness, this is good news all around. An HD grim fandango on PS4/Vita is better than no grim fandango at all, and if it comes out on PC as well, then that is just icing on the cake.

Considering the other thread about this is fuelled by mindless moronic rage, I'm going to post here.

I don't have a console, and I'd be really pissed if this didn't get a PC release. Of course Tim doesn't have any hand in that, and he's lucky he managed to get Disney to agree to a remastered version at all, but I really, really, really hope he managed to get a PC release out of the deal too.

I mean, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Playstation isn't exactly competing with PC right? It's the other console's they want to one-up, I always got the impression there really isn't that much competition between PC and consoles. (People I know are either PC people, Console People, or Both people. But the PC people wouldn't even want a Console and vice versa.)

Your reasons for posting in this thread are my reasons for starting this thread by the way.

Game deserves also remake for PC and MAC.

Don't forget Windows and Linux.

And iPad.

And iPad.

And Vectrex.

And iPad.

And Vectrex.

And Ouya.

Is it possible to play adventure game on android ? You mean on tablet not on the phone.

Is it possible to play adventure game on android ? You mean on tablet not on the phone.

Sure, you just need ScummVM as well as the SCUMM plugin:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.scummvm.scummvm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.scummvm.scummvm.plugin.scumm

Bit quirky but works fine. Remember to enable direct touch mode (if you like it that is)

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android#Touchscreen

As to Grim on PC: YES PLEASE soon as possible guys! Just do the Sony "exclusive" and PC the day after!

(Ach who am I kidding, I am getting a damned PS4 just for this remake...)

That looks like emu ,and for that I need 4-core ,wright ?

Note that The Dig can't be completed on a mobile device, since it requires click and hold. Unless they fixed that since the last time I played it. There are also several point and click adventures with native Android support, like Broken Age and Broken Sword 5.

Yes, it's an emulator. Not sure if you need a quad to emulate these games though... :P

Also, I think I misunderstood, if your question was about emulating Grim Fandango on Android - then No, I don't think that's possible. At least until someone builds ResidualVM for Android :)

Yes, it's an emulator. Not sure if you need a quad to emulate these games though... :P

Also, I think I misunderstood, if your question was about emulating Grim Fandango on Android - then No, I don't think that's possible. At least until someone builds ResidualVM for Android :)

Maybe one day Grim Fandango get to android ,why not :)

ScummVM and ResidualVM are actually not emulators, but instead they contain code that reads the scripts and accesses the game assets (or in the case of hardcoded games, contains code to access the assets) directly (usually obtained by reverse engineering the original game code, except in the few instances where the game developers have provided the source code). This means that the games can be ported to systems that have low system specifications (such as the Nintendo 64 port of ScummVM), and it also means that bugs that existed in the original game are often fixed, since ScummVM and ResidualVM aren't restricted to use the same executables that the original games do.

ResidualVM has been ported to Android, and Grim Fandango can be played with it. You can grab the ResidualVM Android APK in this thread. The modification of ResidualVM and Grim Fandango that allows you to run Grim as a point and click game has also been ported to Android. You can grab the Grim Touch Android APK at the last page of that thread.

Thanks for clearing that up Jenni - very enlightening!

That Android port of Residual looks interesting, I had no idea about it, and while it's early days still, it might be fun to play around with, even if it might be a bit buggy.

Note that The Dig can't be completed on a mobile device, since it requires click and hold. Unless they fixed that since the last time I played it. There are also several point and click adventures with native Android support, like Broken Age and Broken Sword 5.

I played thru The Dig on my phone back in 2006 just fine, and twice more since then. Didn't use the Android port of ScummVM though, since I don't have an Android phone.

I played thru The Dig on my phone back in 2006 just fine, and twice more since then. Didn't use the Android port of ScummVM though, since I don't have an Android phone.

Which phone ?!

Reap your heart out! We're pleased to announce Grim Fandango will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux alongside PlayStation 4 and Vita!

:)

Oh my, some people on this forum look so silly right now. Haha.

I never doubted it for a second.

It wasn't the least bit surprising after Tim made that tweet about other platforms later. That they did not require timed exclusivity for Sony platforms is, however.

This is damn good news :)

Thanks for making this happen

Now my only fear is, will it be dumbed down and how much?. Dont get me wrong i loved Broken Age, but challenge or puzzles that game did not have, same for exploration.

Im hoping they will be adding to Grim Fandango and not taking away from it. At least making casual mode and normal mode.

Now my only fear is, will it be dumbed down and how much?. Dont get me wrong i loved Broken Age, but challenge or puzzles that game did not have, same for exploration.

Im hoping they will be adding to Grim Fandango and not taking away from it. At least making casual mode and normal mode.

Why on EARTH would you think that that was even the remotest possibility?

I mean, I don't mean to be harsh but GF is considered a classic, the last thing they want to do is make changes to the game that would take a bunch of stuff out of it, it would be utterly pointless, not to mention harder than just preserving what's already there.

Trust me, it will be the same game you remember.

I'm 90% sure Tim already said on Twitter that they aren't going to be making any changes to Grim Fandango's puzzles, so I think it's safe to say that everything should be intact.

I can't see another post about "how easy Broken Age's puzzles are". Enough already! If I see another post complaining about the broken Age puzzles, I'm going to take my own life, and hope that Manny can get me a good deal on that ship.

Good news to hear Grim Fandango is coming back to PC - but if it's going to be a remaster, what's actually getting remastered?

I'd be happy if it was just an update to higher-res graphics although I guess there would be some temptation to redo the audio too, but depends how high quality the source files are... hopefully enough so they can just re-use what is already there :).