Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geek95

Android Edition?

Now that the OUYA and iPad editions have been published, does that mean the framework has been laid down for the Android version?

I would love to get Broken Age on my SHIELD and my Nexus 7. Is there any timeframe?

I am very disappointed there's no Android version. Thought we paid for multi platform. Is it really that hard to do cross platform development? Always seems lazy for big developers not to support android.

I am very disappointed there's no Android version. Thought we paid for multi platform. Is it really that hard to do cross platform development? Always seems lazy for big developers not to support android.

who said that there will not be an android version?

Yeah, it is pretty time consuming, especially for Android because of heterogenous system specs. There is just way too diverse device architechture, from processors to display sizes, which make porting far more time consuming than it is for iPad for an example.

Hi folks!

Nothing to report on the Android front, but as you all know we always try to release our titles on as many platforms as possible, depending on bandwidth/workload. So here's hoping!

Short answer: It's very hard.

Hi folks!

Nothing to report on the Android front, but as you all know we always try to release our titles on as many platforms as possible, depending on bandwidth/workload. So here's hoping!

I can't quite understand why DF deciced focus on the ipad release instead of the android. The android market share is far bigger than the ipad/iphone one. May be this was not the case a couple of years ago when DF kickstarted this, but today it is a reality. In fact outside USA the gap between the two markets is even bigger, and given that adventure games are much more popular outside USA (especially in europe) it seems as a really bad decision to not pursue an earlier android release.

Eventually, I think that you should absolutely target simulteneous with ACT 2 release date, android release.

I can't quite understand why DF deciced focus on the ipad release instead of the android. The android market share is far bigger than the ipad/iphone one.

I'm not sure whether this is still true, but several game developers have indicated a preference for iOS over Android for various reasons. Because of piracy and device fragmentation (there are many, many different Android devices and many different flavours of the OS itself) developing for Android is often considered to be much more costly and less profitable.

See, for instance, this 2013 Wired article:

Many other developers blame Android’s piracy problem. Android has always struggled with hackers and pirates, with some developers reporting piracy rates as high as 83 percent. But it’s not just piracy that’s the problem.
iOS wins out because games on there still make more money, while also having less support issues due to device fragmentation.
“From a testing and quality assurance perspective,” says Supergiant Games creative director Greg Kasavin, “the scope is narrower if you’re making a game for, say, just the iPad 2 and newer, as opposed to many different Android tablets you’d have to purchase and test on.”

Having said that, Double Fine will probably still consider porting Broken Age to Android phones and tablets, but - maybe also based on past experiences with their other games - don't consider it a priority at the moment.

Well this article is a little bit old. Android market share has been skyrocketed since then. Especially considering the mobiles market (excluding or not tablets), the gap in favor of android devices is huge!. It is something like 80% to 15% with all others accounting for the rest 5%.The lead in terms of number of devices for android is huge if you consider that we do not talk here for the few hundred millions of the tablet's worldwide market but instaed for a market enumerating some billions of devices.

However, what I cannot argue and I am sure that it holds true is that ipad users are more willing to pay much more money to play a game than android users. And this is mainly to the fact that ipad has a user base consisting of people that can be considered much more wealthy than the average android user. This is actually reflected to the cost of acquiring ech device as well.

I can't quite understand why DF deciced focus on the ipad release instead of the android. The android market share is far bigger than the ipad/iphone one.

I'm not sure whether this is still true, but several game developers have indicated a preference for iOS over Android for various reasons. Because of piracy and device fragmentation (there are many, many different Android devices and many different flavours of the OS itself) developing for Android is often considered to be much more costly and less profitable.

See, for instance, this 2013 Wired article:

Many other developers blame Android’s piracy problem. Android has always struggled with hackers and pirates, with some developers reporting piracy rates as high as 83 percent. But it’s not just piracy that’s the problem.
iOS wins out because games on there still make more money, while also having less support issues due to device fragmentation.
“From a testing and quality assurance perspective,” says Supergiant Games creative director Greg Kasavin, “the scope is narrower if you’re making a game for, say, just the iPad 2 and newer, as opposed to many different Android tablets you’d have to purchase and test on.”

Having said that, Double Fine will probably still consider porting Broken Age to Android phones and tablets, but - maybe also based on past experiences with their other games - don't consider it a priority at the moment.

Well this article is a little bit old. Android market share has been skyrocketed since then. Especially considering the mobiles market (excluding or not tablets), the gap in favor of android devices is huge!. It is something like 80% to 15% with all others accounting for the rest 5%.The lead in terms of number of devices for android is huge if you consider that we do not talk here for the few hundred millions of the tablet's worldwide market but instaed for a market enumerating some billions of devices.

The article may be a bit old, but it does mention the fact that the market share for Android was huge even in 2012:

Even as the Android operating system expands its market share over Apple’s iOS devices — one report on the third quarter of 2012 showed that Android had captured over 70 percent of the market to Apple’s 13 percent — developers are sticking with iOS first.

Even in that context, developers still preferred iOS over Android. I also don't necessarily agree with your statement that the iOS user base consists of people that are 'much more wealthy than the average android user'. The Samsung Galaxy Tab equivalent to the most recent iPad, for instance, is almost as expensive as a brand new iPad. The idea that piracy is not as much a problem on iOS probably has more to do with the fact that you have to jailbreak your device before you're able to install pirated stuff on it. You're probably right in saying that there are much cheaper Android than there are iOS devices, but that brings us back to the problem of device fragmentation: is a game developer going to be able to run their app on all 'non premium' Android devices?

Oliver (lead programmer of Broken Age) referred in a presentation to this website that visually shows the fragmentation of Android devices (including brands, screen sizes and different flavours of the OS). It's almost impossible to get your app running on all of them.

The article may be a bit old, but it does mention the fact that the market share for Android was huge even in 2012:

Even as the Android operating system expands its market share over Apple’s iOS devices — one report on the third quarter of 2012 showed that Android had captured over 70 percent of the market to Apple’s 13 percent — developers are sticking with iOS first.

Even in that context, developers still preferred iOS over Android. I also don't necessarily agree with your statement that the iOS user base consists of people that are 'much more wealthy than the average android user'. The Samsung Galaxy Tab equivalent to the most recent iPad, for instance, is almost as expensive as a brand new iPad. The idea that piracy is not as much a problem on iOS probably has more to do with the fact that you have to jailbreak your device before you're able to install pirated stuff on it. You're probably right in saying that there are much cheaper Android than there are iOS devices, but that brings us back to the problem of device fragmentation: is a game developer going to be able to run their app on all 'non premium' Android devices?

Oliver (lead programmer of Broken Age) referred in a presentation to http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/]this website that visually shows the fragmentation of Android devices (including brands, screen sizes and different flavours of the OS). It's almost impossible to get your app running on all of them.

I cannot argue that samsung's tablet products have similar pricing with apple's. But this is like not seeing the wood for the trees. Because a potential android user have several other cheaper choices, while and ipad user none. Just have a look to this article http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-v-android-market-share-2014-5 , which begins with a broader question facing apple, that is: "a broader question facing Apple: Is it boxed in as a brand and a platform that merely serves the richest 15% of the world, while everyone else uses Android?". Towards its end you will see a table comparing the pricing of each type of mobile device, from which is apparent that an average iOS user has to pay not a simple 10% or 20% percent more but an astonishing 180-200% higher to get a device than an average android user.

This article http://www.techrepublic.com/article/apple-v-google-the-goliath-deathmatch-by-the-numbers-in-2014 shows also that despite higher market penetration of android devices when considering the use of each device (e.g., web usage), the picture is completely reversed. In other words iOS use their devices much more, which in turns means that they pay more for getting services (obviously, I consider gaming as such a service), which of course has to do also with the wealthier status of iOS users. This is I think why developers focus on apple's devices more than android.

I cannot argue that samsung's tablet products have similar pricing with apple's. But this is like not seeing the wood for the trees. Because a potential android user have several other cheaper choices, while and ipad user none. Just have a look to this article http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-v-android-market-share-2014-5 , which begins with a broader question facing apple, that is: "a broader question facing Apple: Is it boxed in as a brand and a platform that merely serves the richest 15% of the world, while everyone else uses Android?". Towards its end you will see a table comparing the pricing of each type of mobile device, from which is apparent that an average iOS user has to pay not a simple 10% or 20% percent more but an astonishing 180-200% higher to get a device than an average android user.

That's absolutely true. The question I have, however, (and that is why I brought up the Samsung comparison) is if that entire Android market would also technically be the market for a high-end game like Broken Age. Is the hardware of those low-end Android devices actually capable of running the game? So, the point I guess I'm trying to make is that the market of Android devices is that fragmented that a one-on-one comparison with iOS might be unfair or even unrealistic (something that is obviously different for most freemium games, like Candy Crush Saga).

Anyway, I think we agree that there are various reasons why iOS still gets preference over Android for most high-end App developers. Things may change in the future, though.

Sign in to follow this