Sign in to follow this  
SmashManiac

Which LucasArts game would you like to see remastered by Double Fine next?

No question it would be Full Throttle. Just listen to Tim anytime he talks about that game, you can tell he wants it to happen. But Personally I'd like to see Day of the Tentacle.

Realistically, I'm inclined to believe they'll do Throttle or DOTT next, however I'd really like a remastering of some of the non-talkies, so Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion and Indy3. Also I'd like the Monkey Island re-releases to get completed, so a touch-up of Curse and Escape gets my vote.

I'd love to see Loom get a remake, then become a massive hit and in turn get the sequels to complete the trilogy.

Zak McKracken would also be sweet. I love the game but things like the jungle mazes might not appeal much to a modern audience.

I guess we fans always tend to dream about "LucasArts reborn", but I think Tim is only trying to work on the games HE made at LucasArts. ;-)

So I guess Full Throttle should/will be next.

Zak, Sam & Max, Loom had nothing to do with Tim, so I'm not betting on Double Fine working on them.

Day of the Tentacle was Tim Schafer-Dave Grossman 50/50, so I'd really like to have Dave in the team, at least as a consultant (since he's at Telltale now).

Oh, I missed the part about Double Fine in the topic. I thought we we're talking about dream remakes of games from the LEC era in general. I think most of the games post-Loom hold up well today, including Grim Fandango. Escape could use an overhaul though; ideally including a revamp(/removal) of Monkey Kombat.

I also say Sam & Max. But in an artstyle similar to Monkey Island 3 please.

Sam and Max: Freelance Police

In this case, it would be more like "master" instead of "remaster", but I agree that it would a great idea. It's probably a better fit for Telltale Games though, since many of their employees were part of the original development team.

The Secret of Monkey Island

It has already been remastered in 2009 as the Special Edition. Why another one?

In this case, it would be more like "master" instead of "remaster", but I agree that it would a great idea. It's probably a better fit for Telltale Games though, since many of their employees were part of the original development team.

He doesn't like the first special edition at all.

I personally liked the art style and the voices, and I especially liked the orchestrated music. I didn't like the rushed aspects of the art, such as left over pixels, Guybrush's hair, and the board on the dock not being animated correctly, but these have already been fixed by fan patches. It's also currently being integrated as a ScummVM engine, so the problematic interface of the non-iOS versions and the inability to hear the voice overs in classic mode might be a thing of the past as well very soon.

He doesn't like the first special edition at all.

I personally liked the art style and the voices, and I especially liked the orchestrated music. I didn't like the rushed aspects of the art, such as left over pixels, Guybrush's hair, and the board on the dock not being animated correctly, but these have already been fixed by fan patches. It's also currently being integrated as a ScummVM engine, so the problematic interface of the non-iOS versions and the inability to hear the voice overs in classic mode might be a thing of the past as well very soon.

Woah, woah woah...what's this about? Are you saying that the Special Editions are getting compatibility with ScummVM? Is that even possible? That sounds extremely ambitious.

The DIG as an uncut/debugged/extended version.

DOTT and Full Throttle clearly the obvious choices for Double Fine since they're both Tim projects, and also the ones that I think would do best at re-release.

I have a lot of fondness for The Dig, but I just don't see a strong case for a remake there. They can maybe re-do the character art and up-res the backgrounds, but eh. I can't imagine a re-release would be especially successful.

Of course, this thread is what I'd like to see remade, not what I think would do well. But no, still, I think there's not much you could really do with the Dig. DOTT could clearly benefit from a newly recorded soundtrack and if Double Fine could get Peter McConnell at least consulting on that project it would be amazing. Maybe they could also clean up the speech samples. And if they really went for realising the saturday-morning cartoon look in high-res I think it could look amazing. I wonder how much of the work that was already done on this is salvageable?

Full Throttle I don't think is crying out so much for a remake, but higher-res audio wouldn't hurt, and it seems like a no-brainer considering that this was a very successful game first time around.

I'd imagine any others would be difficult, aside from maybe EMI, because of the way Manny is moved around. It's tank controls by default, which will translate well to a console.

In reply to the question though, DOTT!

I'd imagine any others would be difficult, aside from maybe EMI, because of the way Manny is moved around. It's tank controls by default, which will translate well to a console.

In reply to the question though, DOTT!

The control scheme they used for MI2:SE actually worked pretty well.

but anyway, the PS4 has motion control in its controller, I've used it for mouse-like things before, actually feels pretty natural, would work well-enough on console, and also it has that touchpad which is a bit small but could serve a similar purpose. Lots of options, there.

The Dig!

Sure, I would love all the others, DOTT, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, and so on. However, the Dig stuck with me in a special way.

No beads, you crazy old man!

I think besides possibly a remade FT (since it was *fully* Tim's to begin with, and the puzzles are already modern-ish), with the dessert/peyote section restored, there's not much anyone should touch. I'd be more open to reboots or sequels of the other games.

Tie Fighter.

Just Kidding! Dark Forces. Well the prompt was "Which LucasArts game" ;P

I'd love to do Full Throttle!

Dark Forces. Well the prompt was "Which LucasArts game" ;P

I was wondering how long it would take before someone would think out of the box. I'm even happier to see that's a DF employee. :)

I'd just like to see this one actually get released before I get my hopes up about anything beyond it.

The DIG as an uncut/debugged/extended version.

Uhh, that would also be nice!

@KestrelPI

There are a couple of cool things you could do with a remastered version of The DIG apart from going high-res with the sfx/gfx/vfx like adding puzzles (like those which were taken out and new ones), adding more character space like f.e. Brink was supposed to have, adding the gross scenes they didn't implement in the final version, adding more depth like with the tech and history of the alien world, ...

But it's unlikely to happen as when it comes to taste and quality ...

I've always wished that they would better explain why Boston was able to do what the Cocytans weren't (like in the novelization, which explained this well). Brink's comment from the novel about liking his condition at the end of the game due to his belief he'd get more respect in his field would be great as well.

Other than that, I quite liked the version of The Dig that we got.

I second TIE Fighter, one of the most fun flight combat experiences I've ever had. As for the adventure game titles either The Dig or Fate of Atlantis. I know neither of those were Tim's games but they could both use some beautification considering the characters were in the old style before LucasArts switched up to more cartoon drawing with S&M, FT, DOTT, and CMI. Also, if I could have a T-Shirt with Ludger Brink and a quote on it like "Come on, you ponderous exoskeleton... you cocoon-eating lobster-faced cave-dwelling arthropoidal alimentary sphincter muscle!" I'd be very happy. Ludger Brink was one of the best characters ever.

If Grim Fandango is successful, I can see Disney letting DF do DOTT and Full Throttle.