Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SmashManiac

Which LucasArts game would you like to see remastered by Double Fine next?

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. I can just imagine playing that game with a modern engine, it would be the game that every Tomb Raider fan wanted out of the generic third person QTE powered stealth shooter without meaningful environmental and platforming puzzle elements that Tomb Raider (2013) turned out to be.

@Jenni

Alan Dean Foster's novel was the only time i was interested in a book about a video game. So, it was about The DIG but it wasn't a great novel by objective standards, generally Foster's prose isn't the best just like his ideas/characters/... Nonetheless i partly enjoyed it but seeing The Treasure of the Sierra Madre at some point was better plus getting all the informations about the production of the game throughout the years.

I very much like the final game as well, as i often stated already my #1 point & click adventure, but all the knowledge, all the sf book you've read, a whole lotta love for space trigger all the ideas what the game could have been too. I especially would have loved to see Brink going mad step by step, the need to deal with him plus some more exploration of the alien world.

Anyway a fantastic game just the way it is and it doesn't come around as a surprise when you're looking at who was involved.

A re-release of Full Throttle would be great, just make it compatible with modern computers and maybe some other devices, not much needs to be touched, I consider it near perfect already.

DOTT would be an interesting one as the game was apparently already remastered and then just left alone (thanks LucasArts!).

Sam & Max, I actually wouldn't want to see DoubleFine do that, TellTale during that era did a brilliant job with the Sam & Max games and continued them on, and plus they had Steve with them, who remained on board for advice and other stuff even during "The Devil's Playhouse", it's just, doesn't seem to be DoubleFine's style, I can't really explain it, but a DoubleFine Sam & Max would seem wrong.

Sam & Max, I actually wouldn't want to see DoubleFine do that, TellTale during that era did a brilliant job with the Sam & Max games and continued them on, and plus they had Steve with them, who remained on board for advice and other stuff even during "The Devil's Playhouse", it's just, doesn't seem to be DoubleFine's style, I can't really explain it, but a DoubleFine Sam & Max would seem wrong.

Can you elaborate further? The way you explain it, it sounds like your only concern is the brand name difference. That doesn't sound logical to me.

Can you elaborate further? The way you explain it, it sounds like your only concern is the brand name difference. That doesn't sound logical to me.

Basically, no one at DoubleFine worked on Sam & Max HTR as far as I remember (excluding Peter McConnell on music), where over at Telltale, they had Michael Stemmle, and Steve Purcell in, so it was more fitting to continue. Plus Chuck Jordan did one hell of a story arc that just fit right in with the comics style.

As Tim put it, the games he's worked are his own, he feels like he owns them, he had no part in Sam & Max, so it makes about as much sense as saying "get Telltale to make a Full Throttle game". Is that clearer?

I've been thinking more about how they would handle DOTT, and it made me wonder...would it be outside the realm of possibility to include Maniac Mansion in Weird Ed's room, just like the original but with voices and HD to match up with the sequel? The reason I'm not assuming this would just happen automatically was 2 things:

1)Maniac Mansion is technically under a different IP to DOTT, while also still in the same series

2) Tim mentioned during his playthrough of DOTT that in later versions of the game, this easter egg had to be removed because they couldn't bother with playing through all of Maniac Mansion to test for bugs

Do you think Disney would be on board with letting Tim remaster what is essentially 2 games in one, and is messing with a game that is more Ron's than his (the first one) something he would even want to do, at least without consulting Mr Gilbert first?

Do you think Disney would be on board with letting Tim remaster what is essentially 2 games in one, and is messing with a game that is more Ron's than his (the first one) something he would even want to do, at least without consulting Mr Gilbert first?

I'm thinking it would be unlikely because it would be potentially even more work than the DOTT remaster, for a game that I get the impression is fondly remembered but not at the level of DOTT, and would be less accessible to a modern day audience.

However, there is a fan remake of MM in the DOTT style in the works:

http://www.night-of-the-meteor.de/en/about-notm

It's been going for 6 years already, though, so it may be a long time coming!

I think Full Throttle is the most logical choice. Like Grim Fandango, it's Tim's "baby". If anyone deserves to remaster it, it's Double Fine.

Day of The Tentacles, Sam and max hit the road, Full Throttle + that game could use more content, there is room there to tell way more of the story i feel like.

There has been a lot of emphasis on Double Fine creating sequels. I envision a staff meeting where a new game is considered... such as in the following scenario:

Tim Schafer: “I need a new idea for a video game. Something unique and fun to play. Any ideas?”

Lackey #1: “How about a game where I can shoot but don't kill anyone?”

Lackey #2: “Exploding tanks!”

Lackey #3: “I want a game with dancing.”

Lackey #47: “Two words; Radioactive wasteland.”

Lackey #13: “A game with a lot of meat in it.”

Lackey #3: “Do you mean something with a hardcore edge to the game?”

Lackey #13: “No... I mean something with chicken and pork.”

Lackey #47: “Four words; Giant Killer Airplane Pilots.”

Lackey #48: “I'm too lazy. How about a game with food delivery services?”

Lackey #13: “Bacon!”

Lackey #60: “Put in cute turtles that turn mean.”

Lackey #8: “I want to be a secret agent.”

Lackey #9: “I want to play as Napoleon.”

Lackey #666: “We need a game with a wild a crazy mean girl in it.”

Lackey #4274 “I want to act. I want a game where the whole world is my stage.”

Lackey #73: “What about an underwater adventure where I can kill some mutant fish?”

Lackey #72: “Nah... I just want a game where I can sit and fish.”

Lackey #38: “Combat Training”

Lackey #666: “A game where the main character is an evil dentist.”

Lackey #14: “I want a haunted game with a haunted grave site.”

Lackey #40: “Let's have exploding cookies in it.”

Lackey #13 : “Must have brains.”

Lackey #0-e2Y: “How about a game with an unlikely hero... Janitors to the rescue.”

Tim Schafer: “I’ve got it! I know how we can put it all together into the best game around and we’re going to call it h-o-n p-u-s-s-y-c-a-t-s.”

Think about it. And I don't mean to be offensive with the name hon-<$%#>.

Basically, no one at DoubleFine worked on Sam & Max HTR as far as I remember (excluding Peter McConnell on music), where over at Telltale, they had Michael Stemmle, and Steve Purcell in, so it was more fitting to continue. Plus Chuck Jordan did one hell of a story arc that just fit right in with the comics style.

As Tim put it, the games he's worked are his own, he feels like he owns them, he had no part in Sam & Max, so it makes about as much sense as saying "get Telltale to make a Full Throttle game". Is that clearer?

Ah yes that makes sense, thanks! I didn't realize that some core people at Telltale Games worked on the games this far back. The thought never to me because the Hit the Road is so different from the Telltale Games series, so I was assuming that only Purcell worked on both. (I don't even like the Telltale Games seasons actually.)

Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle!

If we're talking LucasArts games in general and not just those done by Tim Schafer, then all the classic adventure games like Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max hit the road, The Dig and Curse of Monkey Island... That would be awesome!

I'd personally love to see an enhanced remake of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings that combines the best of the released versions together (since some the ports had different features and even story lines between them). That way we might get something close to the cancelled internally developed version of the game.

I'd only want Doublefine to touch the games Tim has worked on.

So basically, Full Throttle or Day of the Tentacle would be my choices.

Not sure I would care if they did get remastered though as I still play them regularly to this day. But Grim Fandango I lost my discs and even if I had them it'd be a pain to get it running probably. So that game is a perfect choice to be remastered.

Though I can get Escape from Monkey Island to work. Didn't that use the same Engine as Grim? I'm not sure.

well im pretty much up for whatever after Grim Fandango. since they all are pretty much equally good to me.

Sam & Max hit the road would be awesome for a few reasons, it would awesome to see Double Fines take on the Sam & Max series and the fact that i hate episodic games like Telltale do. Thats just not my thing. Not to mention quicktime event. just no.

Full throttle another great more mature game which lacked in content, there would be potential to fill in some gaps i feel like, more story between ben and mo, extend the ending. The problem is, since the voice guy for ben has died. They would have to find someone that sounds EXACTLY like him to do his role justice.

The Dig yet another fun mature game, which was awesome. and again could use some more content and deserves to be played by more i feel like.

Day of the tentacle well thats just a no brainer, awesome hilarious fun point n click, one of the best. i love time travel, i love wacky settings, and it just get much more wacky or bizar than Dr Fred and hit band of misfits in his mansions through various hilarious time periods. I mean here is a real option for a good sequel, going to all new time periods to mess around again. AND who doesnt love a time travelling toilet. I mean the delorean is awesome but the toilet takes the cake. Not that i would mind a remastering either. I feel like its become viable and good to put some spit and shine on old games. Its even happening to the Metro FPS games which i just love.

Monkey Island would be really really awesome as well, but would obviously require Ron Gilbert back at the helm to spearhead that. To make a proper sequel. Monkey island is kinda on a level of its own.

Overall its not like they could go wrong with any of the games, and personally i dont think i could decide on either of them, Since i love them all. best games of my childhood.

There is nothing i would love more, than a Grim Fandango Sequel ^^ really!

Sam & Max hit the road would be awesome for a few reasons, it would awesome to see Double Fines take on the Sam & Max series and the fact that i hate episodic games like Telltale do. Thats just not my thing. Not to mention quicktime event. just no.

I have to admit i never played the original Game.

But the last telltale Season of Sam & Mac "The Devils Playbox" was really well done. And every episode had it's own theme, setting, (time even) and in this case the episodic thing had pretty much it's own sence!

Also the story reached a level of craziness and epicness that did Sam & Max justice. I really loved each episode for it's own reasons! And they had a ancient giant tentacle goddess in a second dimension in it! Hell, how could you not love this game xD No all the rest was awesomesauce aswell! (even timetravel and alternative universes that had to be avoided to become a reality and stuff)

Not a boring second.

So i loved The Devils Playbox and for that i would allways stand up for telltale and Sam & Max in combination ^^

But having said that, Sam & Max "Save the World" was really not a good Game/Season imho. I mean i played it all. Still it had it's moments. The "President thing", playing in the white house, beeing on the moon, the "Just - text - adventure" after the internet crashed. But the biggest problem was Bosco and the all repetitive game-puzzle-solution thing in every episode with him! There was other things that wasn't so nice in the first Season aswell (i never played the second one).

And so, coming to speak about Quicktime: Oh man, The Devils Playbox and Tales of Monkey Island was really enjoyable, The Devils Playbox even more, as in my opionion that was the best Season Telltale ever made. But with the Walking Dead i was finally done with Telltale. Never played it. There was a second i thought, more like from pure desperation xD playing the Wolf among us. Even as i didn't liked the comic books.

Thank god than there came Double Fine Adventure around the corner and i discovered this great studio! ( beside i played psychonauts and the cave before ^^)

Telltale isn't doing anything near the whole "Lucas Arts"-Thing they have done anymore.

And i really mind that, cause, couldn't they have kept such kind of games in their sortiment really?

Shouldn't they have done so, even?

Well, the double fine adventure came just in time after telltale made it quite clear they kinda quitted Lucas Arts Style-Games and now changed all the way the direction towards walking-dead-like games. And with the Game of Thrones Game they couldn't even be more clearer about it.

I doubt they still could do just like that a "The Devil Playbox"-Game again ... i doubt the team is similar now anymore, i feel like now they would have to begin from the start again.

So i agree on the "just no" never the less. But i am also not convinced double fine should (or would ^^) really touch this franchise. For the reasons Ash735 mentioned above ;)

[...]

Monkey Island would be really really awesome as well, but would obviously require Ron Gilbert back at the helm to spearhead that. To make a proper sequel. Monkey island is kinda on a level of its own.

If Ron would be in the boat i would be like totally with it! :D I mean i really liked the Cave and all its style and story and humor! Something like that, maybe even a darker take on Monkey Island would be great! I would be totally sold! Of course putting such names into one pot would create huge expectations ^^ but as i liked the Cave very much, if such a thing would be something Ron would want to do, along with double fine, i would doubt they wouldn't deliver ^^

But the big open question would be the story i guess.

I'm thinking it would be unlikely because it would be potentially even more work than the DOTT remaster, for a game that I get the impression is fondly remembered but not at the level of DOTT, and would be less accessible to a modern day audience.

However, there is a fan remake of MM in the DOTT style in the works:

http://www.night-of-the-meteor.de/en/about-notm

It's been going for 6 years already, though, so it may be a long time coming!

uhh! this "night of the meteor" looks nice and interesting! :) I hope they are getting there, releasing it and stuff ^^

Sign in to follow this