Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheMasterDS

Nicknames for Cadence

I thought there was going to be a topic for this. Instead I guess I will make one? Alright then.

For a start Cadences could be called Cads or Cades, perhaps not at first but over time. It would be cool if slang terms changed over the years.

Next let's try going enemy per enemy. I made some images from this image, sorry if it's not the final one and I'm forgetting someone. I think these have been all the enemies in the teamstreams so I think it's right.

7xUnXIurCgPypZMNZbPxk8JCK9awVBIX8Pb5OSSVKPA=w656-h606-no

Gorge Ape

Cadence2.png

Shag

Cadence3.png

Blue witch

Cadence4.png

Crepid

Cadence5.png

Vile Crab (Play off words since crystal works like a Alchemist's Vial grenades)

Cadence6.png

Fenboy

Cadence7.png

Fenbeast

Some of those are terrible and not very well thought out which I think is appropriate for things that are named in the heat of combat. I dunno. There's also the notion of groups of enemies having names. Don't know where that goes but it's worth mentioning. Maybe a whole bunch of Fenboys are called a Fengrove. These are all awful. I like some of them though.

Anyone have any better ideas? Anyone like my ideas?

I definitely like the idea of the slang evolving over time. Anything to add to the epic timeline of the game!!

As for particular names I don't have any good ideas at the moment, I'll think on it. Though I was thinking it would be fun to call the cadence in general something like "Caber Dust."

Let me take another random pass at those with over time modifications thrown in.

(Swapper)

Rending Beast/Rend to Ren Beast/Ren

(Bone Shell)

Rancorous Fiend/Rank to Cantankerous Fiend/Tank to Tankerous Fiend/Tank

(Time Mage)

Chonovore/Voroch to Novovitch/Vitch to Novitch/Witch

(Fossil Claw)

Unearthen Draugr/Uner to Nordraugr/Ner

(Exploding)

Phylo Brute/Phyl to Vylo Brute/Vyl

(Growth small)

Wied to Weed to Wogling

(Growth Large)

Wooden Ogre/Wogre to Wood Ogre/Woge

That took longer than expected.

I've only got one. For the corrosive demon, the way it runs, it kinds of reminds me the way an animal might run, so I'd call them 'Mutts' -- since you can't quite tell what kind that would be. Here is a link to a teamstream where the creature is running at 35:35 http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/c/4268589

Smiles

Fizzler/Sizzler (or Leaker)

(Exploding)

Cadence5.png

Stalk(er)

(Growth small)

Cadence6.png

EDIT:

(The) What

(Forget Cadence)

Cadence3.png

Something a tad more exotic and less literal would be cool. Seeing as the art-style was taken (partly) from Mongolia I've just stolen a few names from Turkic mythological creatures;

Cadence6.png

Orek - In Turkic folklore it is an animated corpse brought back to life by mystical means such as witchcraft.

Cadence7.png

Yuxa - Queen of serpents. According to popular beliefs, every 100-years old snake is transformed into Yuxa. In fairy tales, Yuxa is described as a beautiful damsel who would marry men in order to beget offspring.

Cadence3.png

Khyrtyq - A female swamp demon. In Turkic mythology she is known for being malicious and dangerous./ Cadı - A woman who practices witchcraft.

Cadence4.png

Ubir - A monster like vampire. It is a mythological or folkloric being in Turkic mythology who subsist by feeding on the life essence (generally in the form of blood) of living creatures, regardless of whether it is undead person or being.

Cadence2.png

Yarbogha - A creature like bull. Yarboghas are half-man, half bull; having the torso of a man extending where the neck of a bull should be. They were said to be wild, savage, and lustful.

Cadence5.png

Alaz - God of fire in Turkic mythology.

Although hopefully these dudes already have names or they have plans.

Something a tad more exotic and less literal would be cool.

Well to be fair we ARE talking about nicknames, so often "obvious" is a good staring point. ;-)

e.g. the "Wrinkler" name mentioned in the TeamStream.

Wrinklers will definitely make it in. In some form or another.

re:Stalkers for the beanstalk guys

that name crossed my mind also, I was initially hesitant because of it's recent prevalence (the class in Wildstar and the Stalker series). But considering it's a pretty generic term, I think it fits.

And I mean they do look like beanstalks and they look like they would stalk you . So yeah, seems natural.

Cadence7.png

Watching these guys in action. I think Hydras or something similar would be appropriate.

Aside from the multiple arms (could look like heads) on top. The fact they can seemingly spawn allies/reporduce via quasi-budding makes it feel even more appropriate. And that whole quasi grenade thing they have, which could be like breathing fire :)

Cadence3.png

How about Myo --> Maya, (myos and mayas in plural) after the forget-me-not family of flowers? It's got a sort of feminine vibe to it as well. I really dig the idea of seeing some hints of the language/nicknames evolving over time!

I could see "Willow/s" for the feminine-ish ones. Aside from the tree/plant reference , you have willowy which kind of fits with their appearance. Also a nod/reference to Will-o-Wisp , which I feel like they have some things in common with. Granted it might just be color and how modern interpretations appear in video games (mainly attacks).

Suppose Wisp could work also.

Bone armor dude - Bloater, turtler, pumper

Small growth dude - spawn, branch

Big growth dude - fondler, mama-spawn :D, trunk

time mage - whisper

exploding dude - noiser, filther, stainer,

switch place dude - blinker, kidnapper, 'napper

Edit: put a few more in there.

Actually, first thing I thought of when the idea "nickname for Cadence" came up was 'caddies' then I just laughed.

As for each one though... Hmm...

7xUnXIurCgPypZMNZbPxk8JCK9awVBIX8Pb5OSSVKPA=w656-h606-no

Fist

Cadence2.png

Cone

Cadence3.png

Frost

Cadence4.png

Scythe

Cadence5.png

Carapace

Cadence6.png

Seed

Cadence7.png

Kingus

Scythe

Err if only Reapers weren't so synonymous with Mass Effect. It would fit with the weapon and the fact they age you.

That's actually a shame. Would've been great to call them Reapers.

Looking at the animations (possibly placeholder) for the big Growth cadence, a name like "Twitcher" would be nice. (And a nice homage to the teamstreams.)

I really like the name "Swapper" for the forget brute. It's placeholder, but it works. It's what heroes would nickname a cadence that swaps places with them!

The time mage looks like it has the coolest possibilities. "Dreamkiller" goes off something other than time, and focuses more on its 'forgetful' nature. But I like the name "Haze". Your memory of encountering one is hazy, it looks like haze or mist. "Mistmancer" is also acceptable!

Sign in to follow this