Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
euph

Act 2 Release-Date

What is with a date for release Act 2? In the last updates it sounds, as act2 will take a lot of more time. I´m asking me, if I will see Act 2 and my 100$-Tier Box in 2014 :-(

I have no idea but wanted to point out that DFA was successfully funded March 13, 2012 and Act 1 was released January 14, 2014... 653 days.

Assuming that Part 2 takes equally as long that would put it at October 29, 2015.

Hopefully having the engine and basic story and artistic style and workflow/asset pipeline etc. worked out already will cut this down but just wanted to remind y'all that a game like this takes a LONG time to put together.

I could imagine that they target late 2014 and release early 2015.

When asked Tim has said that 2014 is realistic, but not committed to it. So I'd guess they're aiming for late 2014, yes. Hopefully we'll get more in the next doc, which should be soon now.

Assuming that Part 2 takes equally as long that would put it at October 29, 2015.

The engine, much of the planning, reusable art, etc. have all been done. Part 2 should take a lot less time than 1.

The engine, much of the planning, reusable art, etc. have all been done. Part 2 should take a lot less time than 1.

Yes... but by how much? Maybe it takes half as long and we're looking at late 2014/early 2015... I'm just saying "probably not soon".

Also "much of the planning" might be overstating it... in the last video they showed a post-act1-release art-jam... how can you have "much" of a game planned if you don't even have all the writing or concept art yet?

By that I meant that Tim doesn't need to start creating the story and characters from scratch like he did for Part 1. Remember that he originally planned this to be one game.

I thought they said if they released the game in 2 parts the second part would be released May 2014

I thought they said if they released the game in 2 parts the second part would be released May 2014

I think we will be lucky to see the game this year... with grim fandango and all the other stuff going on... I really get the feeling they see act one

Met the kickstarter agreement and so i dont expect too much from double fine until act 2 gets released..

Like to be proven wrong.. but whe emailed greg at double fine i got very much that impression with him stating the updates not happening as no community manager now and it seemed to be well any updates wouldnt be in backing because its live.

I dont feel cheated by act one or the updates doublefine...but i do feel their going quiet and attitude after act one is a HUGE mistake...as they have squandered all the good will they built up from people...and all they need to do is communicate a quick text post explaining what is going on and that would satisfy a lot of people.

. Even if it was something like.

.. look guys and gals..act one didnt sell what we hoped. So we are putting things on ice to do other projects to pay the bills and then do the effort act 2 deserves.. that kind of statement i could respect... straight silence from them for me at least really annoys.

I think we will be lucky to see the game this year... with grim fandango and all the other stuff going on... I really get the feeling they see act one

Met the kickstarter agreement and so i dont expect too much from double fine until act 2 gets released..

Like to be proven wrong.. but whe emailed greg at double fine i got very much that impression with him stating the updates not happening as no community manager now and it seemed to be well any updates wouldnt be in backing because its live.

I dont feel cheated by act one or the updates doublefine...but i do feel ther going quiet and atyitude after act one is a HUGE mistake...as they have squandered all the good will they built up from people...and all they need to do is communicate a quick text post explaining what is going on and that would satisfy a lot of people.

. Even if it was something like.

.. look guys and gals..act one didnt sell what we hoped. So we are putting things on ice to do other projects to pay the bills and then do the effort act 2 deserves.. that kind of statement i could respect... straight silence from them for me at least really annoys.

The last statement we had from them, aside from the iPad release, was a little over a month ago.

In it, they said: "We’ve been in full on production mode for Act 2 for a few months now. The team slimmed down a bit after shipping Act 1 to start pre-production on Act 2, but we’ve been slowly ramping the size back up as more and more work comes online. We started with Shay’s half of the act first and are continuing to rough in puzzles and animations there as we speak. [...] Tim’s nearly done with all the writing for Shay and will soon move on to writing all the dialog for Vella’s half of the act. Until then, he’ll be locked up in his office working to get as much writing done as possible before we get the gang back together for voice recording in early July. As always, all this is being captured on camera 2 Player Productions, and they’re hard at work on the next documentary episode. This one will detail the early days of Act 2 development and should be done in about a month!"

So since it's just over a month since that statement, it sounds like we can expect another episode and another update any time now, and also that they should be recording voices around this time, and also that there doesn't seem to be ANY truth in the idea that they are "putting things on ice to do other projects to pay the bills"

... Not only because of the above, but also because they stated to media earlier on in the year that they already had enough funds to ensure Act 2 would happen, and since about that time have, when asked directly by various people, suggested that the release is being aimed for later this year, now.

Double Fine really is in dire need of a new community manager. The amount of misconceptions everywhere boggles the mind. Some more clarifications here and there, but especially communication on the right channels (like on the Steam forums), would help.

It would really help, yes, they obviously don't seem to have the time to manage an active community without one.

But in this case I'm not even sure where the misconception has come from, all I've done is repeated what they have already said, only a few weeks ago. Sure, people might have missed it, but it's hardly the kind of radio silence that people are claiming.

They took our money. They misspent/squandered it and only delivered half a game. It's truly sad, DF used to be a company that I could respect. Now it's clear they got their PR boost, they got their publishing deals, and forget the kickstarter or the commitment they made. You don't even NEED a community manager to do a damn update. It might take an hour or two, throw together a little information, some screenshots - any blogger could do it.

They took our money. They misspent/squandered it and only delivered half a game. It's truly sad, DF used to be a company that I could respect. Now it's clear they got their PR boost, they got their publishing deals, and forget the kickstarter or the commitment they made.
Yeah that would be a good point if it weren't utter bollocks.

But that hour or two is someone not working on Broken Age. And they have multiple games in development concurrently: Massive Chalice, Spacebase, Hack 'N' Slash, Costume Quest 2, Grim Fandango HD, ports of the catalog titles (though it seems that most of these have happened, there may be more unannounced), and maybe additional projects that haven't been announced yet.

I appreciate being frustrated that Act II won't be available soon - I'm dying to see what happens next - but considering that they're self-funding the development of Act II and just how much they have pulled back the curtain to show the realities of game development (not just the making of the game, but the business side of the industry), I can't find fault with DF.

As for gnashing teeth at no new episodes, 2PP has a Blu-Ray of the Amnesia Fortnight 2014 and will start their Massive Chalice series on top of finishing Episode 16 of the DFA series.

If you want to argue they've collectively bitten off more than they can chew, fine, but I'm happier that they are trying to deliver so much. But they certainly haven't given up or mothballed Act II.

They said they were recording voices this month, right? The voice records for Act 1 happened a few months before it came out. That makes me think that a 2014 release for Act 2 is entirely possible.

It would really help, yes, they obviously don't seem to have the time to manage an active community without one.

But in this case I'm not even sure where the misconception has come from, all I've done is repeated what they have already said, only a few weeks ago. Sure, people might have missed it, but it's hardly the kind of radio silence that people are claiming.

Hi matey where do you see the updates as I am not getting sent anything?

Hi matey where do you see the updates as I am not getting sent anything?

If you're a kickstarter backer, it's on the kickstarter page, otherwise I think there are emails, but I'm not sure how they work. I think a couple of slacker backers said they got emails.

I remember when the two acts were pitched I assumed that the planning for Act II was done they just needed more time/money to get things done. Then the episode came out and it turned out they're still deciding what Act II even is, and that crushed my hopes of Act II getting done anytime soon. Either that or it will be rushed and not be a good conclusion. Which would be terrible since the plot and characters are what I'm invested in.

I remember when the two acts were pitched I assumed that the planning for Act II was done they just needed more time/money to get things done. Then the episode came out and it turned out they're still deciding what Act II even is, and that crushed my hopes of Act II getting done anytime soon. Either that or it will be rushed and not be a good conclusion. Which would be terrible since the plot and characters are what I'm invested in.

I think substantially the planning had been done for Act II. The evidence for that is that in several of the locations there are some hints of future puzzles, if you know what to look for, and also just what they've talked about in the documentary. And the fact that until about 6 months before Act 1 was released, the game wasn't being split, and it's unlikely they were only working on Act 1 up to that point.

What needed doing for Act 2 plan-wise was likely:

a) concept art, etc. for stuff that hadn't been visually designed yet.

b) finalising of puzzles which probably went through a few alterations in design based on feedback on act 1 (just speculating, there)

So they talked about an art jam, and they talked about design stuff, but I'm pretty sure Tim had a fine idea about what act II was, substantially, and even a lot of the puzzle structure blocked out.

Hey guys, really sorry for the lack of updates. As folks have said, we've been without a dedicated Community Manager since Chris left and everyone's attention has been focused on moving the game's development along as fast as we can. We just put up a new doc episode and project update, so hopefully that will give folks a better idea of where we are. We're shooting to get this done by the end of the year if we can! Will definitely try to be better about this going forward!

Hey guys, really sorry for the lack of updates. As folks have said, we've been without a dedicated Community Manager since Chris left and everyone's attention has been focused on moving the game's development along as fast as we can. We just put up a new doc episode and project update, so hopefully that will give folks a better idea of where we are. We're shooting to get this done by the end of the year if we can! Will definitely try to be better about this going forward!

Thanks for this Information Greg.

Honestly I am done with this game. I do not even want it anymore. This project was my first Kickstarter game and in the meantime I already enjoyed or enjoy several other finished games which include 2 fantastic 50-100 hour RPGs...

I lost a lot of trust in this Company and even I really loved Grim Fandango as a kid I do not think I will buy it anymore. Especially with the recent early access and other game events. Double fine needs people who actually can manage budgets and deadlines. Many companies already would have gone out of Business with such a lack management...

So yeah Farewell Double fine.

Honestly I am done with this game. I do not even want it anymore.

Sounds almost like the ending of The Cave ;)

Feels like everyone is more or less "give me everything now" type of person these days. Since when did we lose our patience and can we ever get it back?

Edit: Sorry for the spoiler and I want to clarify that I don't have any problem with waiting for Act 2.

Honestly I am done with this game. I do not even want it anymore. This project was my first Kickstarter game and in the meantime I already enjoyed or enjoy several other finished games which include 2 fantastic 50-100 hour RPGs...

I lost a lot of trust in this Company and even I really loved Grim Fandango as a kid I do not think I will buy it anymore. Especially with the recent early access and other game events. Double fine needs people who actually can manage budgets and deadlines. Many companies already would have gone out of Business with such a lack management...

So yeah Farewell Double fine.

They took our money. They misspent/squandered it and only delivered half a game. It's truly sad, DF used to be a company that I could respect. Now it's clear they got their PR boost, they got their publishing deals, and forget the kickstarter or the commitment they made. You don't even NEED a community manager to do a damn update. It might take an hour or two, throw together a little information, some screenshots - any blogger could do it.

Seriously, how did you guys even end up supporting their kickstarter and becoming fans of Double Fine and adventure games in the first place? Do you even like adventure games and Broken Age? I really don't understand how people with your outlooks could possibly have any patience to play adventure games and be fans of Double Fine.

I think there is no way to satisfy you people. I think if the game was already out, you would say it feels rushed. I honestly think people like you two outgrew adventure games and were never really fans of them or Double Fine. Because any true fan would be so excited with the current status of Double Fine.

Because right now, we've had an amazing documentary, with like 10 hours of episodes, some amazing Amnesia Fortnight experiences, an awesome first Act of a Double Fine adventure game, a whole new RTS game via Massive Chalice, some amazing games like Last Life being published, and to top it all off, a freaking remake of Grim Fandango. And if you don't realize how being a backer has really pushed all that along and possibly even made it all happen, I don't think you ever really cared about Double Fine. You are trying to relive some nostalgia you had and you just like complaining about modern games, chalk this up as a loss and go play Call of Duty or something.

They don't even know, if you watched the last episode, they really want to get it out before 2014 is over, and seem to be trying to do that, but if they miss that probably early 2015

Honestly I am done with this game. I do not even want it anymore.
They took our money. They misspent/squandered it and only delivered half a game.

Seriously, how did you guys even end up supporting their kickstarter and becoming fans of Double Fine and adventure games in the first place? ...I honestly think people like you two outgrew adventure games and were never really fans of them or Double Fine. Because any true fan would be so excited with the current status of Double Fine.

Because right now, we've had an amazing documentary, with like 10 hours of episodes, some amazing Amnesia Fortnight experiences, an awesome first Act of a Double Fine adventure game, a whole new RTS game via Massive Chalice, some amazing games like Last Life being published, and to top it all off, a freaking remake of Grim Fandango. And if you don't realize how being a backer has really pushed all that along and possibly even made it all happen, I don't think you ever really cared about Double Fine.

You're right. You're absolutely right. I am not a "fan" of Double Fine. I don't care a fig about them. I loved Grim Fandango and that's the only reason I ever backed Broken Age. Bad decision. I'm with Terminated and Darji. I tossed some money in the Kickstarter pot for a game...not a serialized game, not a dumbed down candy box game, not a documentary, not for DF to go haring off making a slew of other games instead of buckling down and finishing this one. As for a Grim Fandango remaster...remake, did you say?...I'll believe that when I see it. If Sony lets Tim Schafer remaster this game, they'd better have an army of accountants standing over him to see that he gets it done on time and on budget.

Believe it or not, DF and adventure games are two different things. Being thoroughly put out with DF does not mean you don't enjoy and prefer AGs. Right now, I'm having a great time with the remake of Shadowgate. I wish I had backed that one instead of this never ending story. I'm beginning to see a reason for publishers.

Actually, the documentary was part of the initial offering, it literally is what you paid for. As for game - you will not have to pay for Act 2. You got Act 1 to play before the entire game was finished, but you will get a whole game, probably late this year, maybe early next year. You will not have to pay for parts of a series.

And DF had been a multi-project studio for years. Did you expect them to change to suddenly throw the entire studio on DFA when they already had games in development for publishers and angel investors, ports of old games in development, and had the Amnesia Fortnight system of internal game jams already in place? They didn't redirect funds to those other things, they already had them going, and in fact used them to supplement funds for act 2 to make it good and not have to cut as much as earlier projections demanded for a single act game. The size of the team and length of development, that was dependent on the fundings received.

Now, you might argue that Broken Age took and still is taking too long. You might have a point. But don't argue points that are simply not based on the Kickstarter offering and promise.

You've had nobody to fill Chris's shoes? You really do need someone taking care of the community and getting clear messages out.

Sign in to follow this