Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tytbone

Double Fine, please talk to Disney about bringing LucasArts' classics to GOG.com...

(...Or if Disney won't do it, please see if you can license the games from them and publish them on GOG.com.)

A portion of LucasArts' classics are in limbo right now, never published as part of the Steam collections back in 2010 nor released on any other service. Yet, based on GOG.com wishlist entries (http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games), tens of thousands of people would buy these games again. (The highest one is Grim Fandango at 43,000+ votes.) I believe there is a decent profit to be made in bringing these games back on digital distribution, specifically on GOG.

Search the wishlist and notice titles like Curse of Monkey Island with 20,000+ wishlist votes, Full Throttle with 19,000+ wishlist votes, The Secret of Monkey Island with 18,000+ wishlist votes, Day Of The Tentacle with 14,000+ wishlist votes, Sam & Max Hit the Road with 8,400+ wishlist votes, etc. It's true the wishlist might not perfectly represent people who would buy the game day 1, but I do believe it accurately reflects the idea that these games would sell exceptionally well on GOG.

I singled out GOG because, besides the fact they helped provide some data on how many people wanted the games and are still working to resurrect classics, the staff have implemented gamer-friendly policies I believe deserve support - DRM-free, fair price package, 30-day money-back guarantee (one of the most important, imo), and soon an optional client that you can for things like multiplayer and updates but aren't forced to. I would like to see GOG grow to be reasonable competition for Steam, so Steam is forced to make more gamer-friendly policies too.

So Double Fine, please talk to the right people at Disney and see what can be done to get the LucasArts classics onto GOG.com. You are already a publisher on that service, maybe you are the "mediator" that GOG needs to help get these classics back into the hands of gamers.

Apparently, Sony was after the rights to all of the LucasArts adventure games, not just Grim Fandango. No one knows for sure if they were successful, but Sony is one of the biggest media companies in the world, so it's certainly possible they were. I don't know what that means for the games in the future, but any re-release at this point probably hinges on whether or not Sony plans to make a remake of any particular title.

Apparently, Sony was after the rights to all of the LucasArts adventure games, not just Grim Fandango. No one knows for sure if they were successful, but Sony is one of the biggest media companies in the world, so it's certainly possible they were. I don't know what that means for the games in the future, but any re-release at this point probably hinges on whether or not Sony plans to make a remake of any particular title.

Interesting, I was certainly not aware of this.

To me it seems like maybe Double Fine could bring about PC re-releases of the games after Sony has a period of exclusivity on their console. Of course I could be completely wrong, but it's worth bringing up the concept. I just know as a GOG fan and somebody who likes to see highly-desired titles come to GOG, I wanted to bring up the subject.

I really don't mind the remakes but getting the old games back online would be great. There is already the lucasarts classic pack on Steam, I really don't understand why they didn't add more games to that pack.

GOG.com would be a great site to add all those games but Steam would be a first step I guess.

There is already the lucasarts classic pack on Steam, I really don't understand why they didn't add more games to that pack.

As far as I'm aware, the guy who was president of LucasArts at the time (Darrel Rodriguez) was basically the reason that classic pack happened, as well as the MI remakes, but he didn't stay president long enough for the other adventure games to get any attention. As soon as he was gone, LucasArts went back to their previous status quo of only making/publishing Star Wars stuff.

I really don't mind the remakes but getting the old games back online would be great. There is already the lucasarts classic pack on Steam, I really don't understand why they didn't add more games to that pack.

GOG.com would be a great site to add all those games but Steam would be a first step I guess.

Hopefully the new remakes will be like the Monkey Island remakes in that they remake the game on top of the original, meaning that the original data is included and can be extracted and run with ScummVM or ResidualVM.

That's really the best of both worlds, since buying the remakes would give you both the new version along with the original (or at least the PC CD remake in the case of Monkey Island).

As far as I'm aware, the guy who was president of LucasArts at the time (Darrel Rodriguez) was basically the reason that classic pack happened, as well as the MI remakes, but he didn't stay president long enough for the other adventure games to get any attention. As soon as he was gone, LucasArts went back to their previous status quo of only making/publishing Star Wars stuff.

Yeah, basically as soon as MI:SE, MI2:SE, TMI, and that tiny pack of adventure games had all released, he mysteriously "resigned"

(i.e. the board didn't like that he was spending resources on low margin projects, regardless of how successful they were)

(...Or if Disney won't do it, please see if you can license the games from them and publish them on GOG.com.)

A portion of LucasArts' classics are in limbo right now, never published as part of the Steam collections back in 2010 nor released on any other service. Yet, based on GOG.com wishlist entries (http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games), tens of thousands of people would buy these games again. (The highest one is Grim Fandango at 43,000+ votes.) I believe there is a decent profit to be made in bringing these games back on digital distribution, specifically on GOG.

This might be why Disney was getting shitty press over trying to create a trademark on day of the dead. (I Spanish I'll butcher English not Spanish)

ref. http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/digging-into-disneys-day-of-the-dead-problem-82956.html

At least this was what I heard through the digital-grape-vine ?TM?... and if Grim Fandango was the reason they where seeking that Trademark and they stopped seeking because of the shitty press I'm sure that has been shelved for at least a few years.

It would be awesome if Double Fine, maybe in partnership with Sony, could finish this HD version of Day of the Tentacle, that was in the works, when Lucas Arts was shut down: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-28-lucasarts-had-been-working-on-a-day-of-the-tentacle-hd-remake

Also I think it's very possible that Sony bought the rights for more Lucas Arts adventure games, like DOTT or Full Throttle. Because why would they only buy Grim Fandango, if they could get their hands on all of those classic IPs?

Huh, the first feat to accomplish for Double Fine would be to bring the Grim Fandango Revamp to GOG. That at least is the issue where they might possibly even have a modicum of influence.

As to the LucasArts classics on GOG, that really is only up to Disney to decide. I guess the people begging and nagging can only be the customers - I'm rather certain that the GOG guys do that all the time anyway.

You can already buy most of Double Fine's catalogue on GOG - Brutal Legend, Pshychonauts, Stacking, Broken Age etc. - so my guess is that the Grim Fandango remake, will probably also be available on both GOG and Steam...

And if any of the other Lucas Arts classics are getting remakes, they'll probably also be there...

You can already buy most of Double Fine's catalogue on GOG - Brutal Legend, Pshychonauts, Stacking, Broken Age etc. - so my guess is that the Grim Fandango remake, will probably also be available on both GOG and Steam...

And if any of the other Lucas Arts classics are getting remakes, they'll probably also be there...

What about the non-double fine published titles? The decision is usually made at the publisher level, and we don't know the nature of that deal.

Sony might be the publisher for Grim on all platforms. Or it might be Disney, and Sony are just involved because of their console exclusivity. Or it could be joint. Or maybe Sony are the publisher on PS4 but Double Fine are the publisher on PC, and Disney are just licensors.

Too many unknowns to speculate successfully on what might be possible with releases.

You can already buy most of Double Fine's catalogue on GOG - Brutal Legend, Pshychonauts, Stacking, Broken Age etc. -

Those were all self published (most of them at least).

The Grim Fandango Remake is published via Sony/Disney... and that is the problem.

You can already buy most of Double Fine's catalogue on GOG - Brutal Legend, Pshychonauts, Stacking, Broken Age etc. -

Those were all self published (most of them at least).

The Grim Fandango Remake is published via Sony/Disney... and that is the problem.

It depends on what the licensing contract entails. If the computer versions are published by Double Fine themselves and just licensed by LucasArts/Disney, it's possible that it could be released DRM-free at some point. After all, Telltale has Tales of Monkey Island available for sale on GOG.com.

Well if they get those IP, i would suddenly have a new found respect for Sony, i gotta say.

So sad to see good IP's just sit and rot somewhere not being used.

Well if they get those IP, i would suddenly have a new found respect for Sony, i gotta say.

So sad to see good IP's just sit and rot somewhere not being used.

I agree. I really don't care who gets the rights, as long as that means the classics are going to be available for sale again.

After the recent awesome announcement regarding Grim Fandango coming to PC as well I would like to request you guys to please bring to GOG.com as well apart from just Steam. Apart from that I hope you guys manage to get the rights to the other great Lucas Arts classics from Disney and bring all of them to GOG.com as well. A lot of folks including myself would buy all these games in a heartbeat when they become available for sale on GOG so please do consider it.

Attached is an image of the GOG community wishlist which gives you an indication of how much people love and want these games on GOG. I hope you guys read the forums enough to find this and act on it accordingly, thanks. :)

Lucas Classics-GOG.jpg

578d007c5136c_LucasClassics-GOG.jpg.d4c7

I currently have my Double Fine Collection on GOG. I would love to see new games and (if possible) classics show up there. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this