Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Homestar Runner To Return This Fall

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

*deep breath*

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

http://cheezburger.com/8249887232

I'm going to do my best to not get too excited I don't think I'd b able to survive this hype train being derailed...

Too late I'm pretty darn excited...

(Please actually happen...)

Here is the good news and the caveat.

THE GOOD NEWS:

It is actually happening. Verified also here:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/homestar-runner-is-coming-back.html

And most importantly by the original source here:

http://jeffrubinjeffrubinshow.com/

That last link is an hour-long interview with co-creator, co-writer, and lord-of-all-voices Matt Chapman. He explains how HR came into existence, why the updates stopped, and then talks about its future.

If you don't want to listen to the full hour length interview, here's is the TLDR:

HOW IT STARTED: Just two brothers messing around and having a laugh. Google analytics and stuff like that didn't exist back then, so they were making it for a really long time just to mess around, for their own amusement, just to make themselves and their friends laugh. They actually had no idea that it was at all popular for a long time. They didn't have even an inkling of an idea that people liked it so much until they got a letter from their host telling them that they were transferring not megabytes of data, but many many terabytes of data and they should consider another service. (These were the dial-up modem days, so that's significant. Matt says he didn't even know what a terabyte was before he received that letter.) So that's when they knew they had, like, AN AUDIENCE. And that's when they opened the store and realized they could quit their jobs and do HR full time.

WHY THEY STOPPED UPDATING: Near the point of the final updates, the brothers chaps were living in two different cities. Then Matt had his second daughter, and so he had to look to his family needs. So those were two small contributing factors. But also they had both wanted to try out TV and movies since they were kids, so they decided the 10-year mark was a good place to take a hiatus. So they both went and dabbled in LA/Hollywood, doing work for Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney. According to Matt, they both liked it, and they learned a lot, which will probably help them with any HR stuff they do in the future, but neither of them liked it as much as they liked doing HR full time.

WHY THEY STOPPED UPDATING FOR SO LONG: The way Matt makes it sound, mostly by accident and losing sense of time. He says they never stopped brainstorming ideas for jokes and episodes for HR. They both always felt like they were going to do their next HR update tomorrow or next week. It was always something they were going to do "soon", but with them both living in different cities and being busy with Nick/Cartoon Network/Disney, and having families, it just kept not happening.

WHY THEY ARE COMING BACK: Well for one thing, as stated above, they have always wanted to. They've been meaning to do it for a long time, but it just kept not happening. Secondly, they both live in the same city again! So working together should be A LOT easier than it was for a long time. And lastly, they weren't sure until recently if it would still be worth it. They did the April fool's update a few months ago, and since they CAN use Google analytics now, they were actually able to watch it, and they were surprised by how much it exploded despite the fact that they haven't updated in years and despite the fact that they didn't alert anyone to the fact that they were going to do it. They just sort of uploaded it to see if anyone would notice. And they did. A lot of people did! And so that let them know there was still a big audience for it, and it made them more excited about doing more HR stuff.

THE BIG CAVEAT

The host of the show, and the two new sources above, use the wording that "Homestar Runner is coming back this fall."

But Matt Chapman never uses that wording exactly. I'm not one to get my hopes up about HR updates, and I think that's true of most people who have been wanting this for years.

What he says exactly is that he and his brother are living in the same city again, and they want to do some more Homestar stuff, are currently working on some more Homestar stuff, and that you should watch the site around late summer or early fall. He repeatedly says that he "doesn't want to get anyone's hopes up" with a very specific announcement. He will only say that the brothers Chaps are excited about doing more HR stuff, and are working on it, and will probably be posting something in the next couple of months.

The thing to note of course, is that he never exactly says, "We are going to start doing regular weekly updates again". What he said could just as easily turn out to mean "we are going to do a couple more cartoons, months apart, and may or may not keep doing it."

It sounds as though the brothers chaps would LIKE to start doing the weekly updates again. But he does not exactly say that they are going to do that. He only says, and is very careful to only say, that they "intend to do more homestar stuff".

So perhaps keep in mind the full range of what that could mean and what it could turn out to not mean.

It seems like they definitely want to revive it and then some, but the way Matt Chapman was clearly very careful about his wording indicates that you should look forward to some more Homestar stuff, but that it is still in a sort of "second pilot" stage, so don't form any solid expectations of what that will ultimately mean.

I just want another Cool Game that I can play while being Attractive. Although I'd want Double Fine to make it.

That would be great. More Homestar Runner is already awesome news though.

The Cheat is not dead. The Cheat is not dead. I'm so glad the Cheat is not dead.

Just the claps!

Why would they bring back Homestar Runner? So they could use it in some kind of witch's brew?

my body is ready [del][/del][del][/del][del][/del]

Edited by mr_nutt

What the people clearly need is another episode of The King of Town's Very Own Quite Popular Cartoon Show!

In case you haven't been paying attention...

Dammit, when I saw the thread get revived, I thought there was a new episode, and yes, I do know that there were three new videos ever since Homestar Runner returned in the Fall.

Rather than make a new thread, I'll just dump these here.

So there was this thread on the Homestar Runner subreddit talking about how good a sequel to SBCG4AP would be. While it is pretty obvious that Telltale would never make it, who should? The best I could think was Double Fine, but then that's probably mostly due to the fact they're the last company I've bought an adventure game from. Still, what would happen if you combine Double Fine's writing with Homestar Runner?

Edited by mr_nutt

Still, what would happen if you combine Double Fine's writing with Homestar Runner?

Twist: homestar runner is just where you end up if you enter the mind of the drive-thru whale.

Twist: A reddit user was right about this:

the toilet spinning

the forehead gem

the generally hostile attitude towards everyone

peridot confirmed alternate-universe strong bad

Also

Not to mention the association with computers, the shortness, and the slowly starting to befriend the star-shirted guy they claim to hate.

Context: I brought up these two gifs.

2MbPvNC.gif

fEthoch.gif

Twist: A reddit user was right about this:
the toilet spinning

the forehead gem

the generally hostile attitude towards everyone

peridot confirmed alternate-universe strong bad

Also

Not to mention the association with computers, the shortness, and the slowly starting to befriend the star-shirted guy they claim to hate.

Context: I brought up these two gifs.

2MbPvNC.gif

fEthoch.gif

I don't know who that other person is. #old

If it helps, I don't really watch the show she's from either. I only really know about the gif because I sometimes saw it on Tumblr. All I know is that she's a gem from space and that she's apparently an ineffectual villain.

YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY =D

"I want you to touch the poop! TOUCH THE POOP!"

The fan costumes thing has returned!

While I'm not sure how they normally do this, it seems they used Twitter this time.

(On a side note, these forums really needs an insert link button.)

Edited by mr_nutt
Had to update the embedded video to the new format