Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Feelings on Steam/GOG

Once Galaxy launches, I think I will find Gog preferable, the only advantage to Steam is getting a huge amount of games for the change in the couch cushions. I like the idea of DRM-free better though.

As it stands right now, I have 1,165 games on Steam and only 78 on Gog, so it's got a ways to go to catch up.

a place to buy games of any kind, managable through the Steam app.

I would define Steam as a place to rent games of any kind, since you actually don't own the copies you pay for.

a place to buy classic/indie games,

GOG is not limited to classics and/or indies.

Anyway, I only buy DRM-free, so the choice is pretty obvious.

GOG has the huge benefit of having actual curation - even the bad games on GOG are there by deliberate choice, while Steam curation is left up to publishers, so publishers of awful games can put them all up on there. Also, Early Access with no quality control whatsoever makes for really, really bad standards.

But the worst part of the Steam store is that it takes absolutely no customer rights seriously. There's laws about reclamations, reimbursements for hidden faults, right of first sale, misleading advertisement and not disadvantaging customers for using customer services that are all taken a big shit on by Steam.

GOG is, if nothing else, extremely customer friendly. You have a 30 days money back guarantee, you get DRM free copies that don't require a separate client to run, you have lots of side content to most games bought there, you have a reasonable international pricing, you have them doing their best at making sure their games are not just runnable but actually running well. But you don't have linux support (yet)...

As it stands right now, I have 1,165 games on Steam and only 78 on Gog, so it's got a ways to go to catch up.

Same here. I have 366 games on Steam and 16 on GOG.

Frankly the sheer convenience of being able to have all my games (and friends) in one place massively outweighs concerns about rent/ownership. To me it's far more likely that a DRM-free game I've downloaded will go missing on my HD, or my entire HD will corrupt and I'll lose it forever, than Steam suddenly disappearing or banning my account for no reason. The sheer convenience of not having to manually back-up every multi-gigabyte game download is worth that slight chance to me.

I do wish Valve would do something about Steam's interface, though. New features have been shoe-horned in over the years, and now its UX is a hideous, unsightly mess. You can tell it was "designed" by a developer. There's really no excuse for someone with an eye for good user experience not being hired over there and sorting it all out.

GOG is not limited to classics and/or indies.

Really? What modern, non-indie titles do they have there?

Really? What modern, non-indie titles do they have there?

The Witcher 2, Rayman Origins, Outlast, Alan Wake, Grid, Assassin's Creed, Divinity, Brutal Legend, etc...

I buy all new games on Steam, mostly for the convenience.

Much for the same reason though I buy all old games on GOG, because I trust them better to have working and easily customizable versions, and since you often often mod or tweak them it's nicer than having to rummage around the Steam folders, or worrying about them inserting the Steam launcher code into the exe that's going to break some fan patch etc.

The only time I buy old games on Steam are when they've rewritten the game code as opposed to just dumping it or wrapping it up in Dosbox or similar.

Just want to point out that there is no "I don't like GOG" option. Not that I would select it since I'm a huge fan of GOG myself, but I find this omission rather revealing. :)

Lately I've been kinda spoiled by the Humble Bundle people and developers like Double Fine who provide me with the "I can have it all" Steam + DRM free option. I'll always take that if it's there. Definitely love Steam, but I shop at GOG too.

I tend to buy about equally at GOG.com and Steam. Except, usually if a GOG.com sale comes before a Steam sale, I'll spend a bunch at GOG and just a little at Steam. I prefer GOG.com because of their DRM-free policy, but I do purchase games at Steam (especially now that I have a computer that doesn't require me to load some of the newer games under compatibility mode and outside the Steam client in order to make it work).

These days I prefer Steam because of the convenience, the community features and the Linux support. I do own 45 games on GOG though, and I'll likely start using them more once they start supporting Linux. It's even likely that it will be the best "Linux store" because of their dedication to providing support for their entire library.

I would have voted for them both being great if that was an option, so I went for Steam great GOG good. Even with GOG's outbranching to modern games, I think their legacy of getting old games playable again is admirable. I'm just annoyed that I discovered they have the non-Boen/audio issues version of one of the Monkey Island episodes but then completely forgot that a year later when I impulse bought it from them.

Just want to point out that there is no "I don't like GOG" option. Not that I would select it since I'm a huge fan of GOG myself, but I find this omission rather revealing. :)

It may not be as revealing as you think. There's no conspiracy here, I've just never read anyone complain about GOG on these forums. The poll is really about the alleged evils of Steam/DRM. Giving a "I don't like buying games" option, which, if you stop and think about it, is what you're suggesting, would be pointless.

Lately I've been kinda spoiled by the Humble Bundle people and developers like Double Fine who provide me with the "I can have it all" Steam + DRM free option. I'll always take that if it's there. Definitely love Steam, but I shop at GOG too.

For me, if a game on the Humble Bundle doesn't have a Steam option, I probably won't bother downloading it. Every Humble Bundle steam key I've ever bought (which is probably nearly all of them) has been redeemed.

I would have voted for them both being great if that was an option, so I went for Steam great GOG good.

No need to get bogged down worrying about the difference between Good and Great. The top option is basically saying: "Steam and GOG == Yay!".

nHMBkNL.gif

Though I'm especially fond of the games sold on Humble that give both Steam keys and a DRM free copy.

GOG is, if nothing else, extremely customer friendly. You have a 30 days money back guarantee, you get DRM free copies that don't require a separate client to run, you have lots of side content to most games bought there, you have a reasonable international pricing, you have them doing their best at making sure their games are not just runnable but actually running well. But you don't have linux support (yet)...

Scratch that, they just announced Linux support with a bundle of games. Far from their full library however.

As a Linux person, I really feel indebted to Valve for pushing the envelope there. Nowadays being able to follow TI4 in-game or playing XCOM without mucking about with Wine or booting into Windows is really, really good for me. Major kudos there.

I know GOG has Linux support too now (and I've already purchased some of their Linux games) but Valve/Steam was really the prime mover there.

I'd say I really appreciate both services.

Also a major shout-out to Double Fine for their impeccable Linux support. Keep makin em, I'll keep buying em :)

Sign in to follow this