Sign in to follow this  
Jenni

DFAF Forum Adventure Game

Sure. Your pictures did not seem to survive though, so I'll need some reference (or, whatever you prefer... people have chosen everything from cows to extinct creatures, so whatever you want to represent yourself in the game works for me :P).

Eh, those are all too old pictures anyway, my most recent non-neckbeardy picture is my twitter profile pic. Is from earlier this year. My hair looks much nicer than this in proper lighting I swear.

ovg_BDEQ.jpeg

ovg_BDEQ.jpeg.b0e6c71862e5b1c395b53248a4

Wait... when the hell did you get your ear pierced?

Freakin' copycat.

Heh, I've had my ear pieced for around 5 years and counting now!

Bah, and I haven't worn earrings for so long that my holes healed up!

Bah, and I haven't worn earrings for so long that my holes healed up!

14t5tz6.jpg

"Hey, don't worry! Just take a rusty scalpel and carve a new hole right through the flesh. It should be fine, why not."

Something I think would be a good joke is the main character complaining on how many things you need to click to do things like talk, pick up, push, etc.

Something I think would be a good joke is the main character complaining on how many things you need to click to do things like talk, pick up, push, etc.
That's a great idea, and I have just the idea for the joke. :)

A heads up on this: unfortunately it won't be out today, as my mom got tricked by a phisher and I had to move off of the Windows partition. Since the AGS editor is Windows only I haven't been able to get into it and I won't be able to do so until I can get back into Windows safely.

EDIT: The deadline for the MAGS has been extended to March 5th, so I'll take this as a sign. I'll try to get Windows reinstalled and get this finished by then.

Have you considered using Godot for the project? Seems like both the editor and engine is cross-platform on PC.

May I ask the basic plot of the game, or at least how long it is?

May I ask the basic plot of the game, or at least how long it is?
The main character (who has a blend of the personalities and appearance of the three main characters of Day of the Tentacle) comes upon a nondescript building and is abducted. Inside she finds out that someone has been conducting experiments on people, making human/animal hybrids Doctor Moreau style.

The game as it stands is pretty short. It's just two rooms since I'm hoping to get it finished in time for the deadline for the February MAGS.

It's going to have a definite ending, but I'm going to make sure it will be possible to extend it further later (and the ending is going to be in place there in case that never happens).

Have you considered using Godot for the project? Seems like both the editor and engine is cross-platform on PC.
The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça & Pizzaboy kickstarter stated that they'll be releasing tools specific to making an adventure game with that engine. If I do decide to extend this later, and the tools are out by then, I'll definitely be up to switching over.

Well, I obviously missed the deadline. My mom got tricked by a phisher again shortly after the last time she got tricked (this phisher hacked into my sister's friend's Facebook account and got in a conversation with my mom about grants and my mom believed them because she thought it was my sister's friend messaging her and my mom even gave them her passwords -_-), so I've been busy trying to clean all the mess up.

If anyone has any idea on how I can get my mom to stop falling for these phishing scams (beyond lecturing her about googling for scams before believing somthing and never giving out your password) - maybe a link with a story about horrible things that could happen if you do this to try to scare her enough to listen to advice and be more careful - I'd much appreciate it, since this is happening way too often lately.

I'll try to get something out shortly. Oh, and I just realized I didn't draw the last few people who said they wanted to be involved in this. I'll try to get those concepts up later today.

Anything new with this? I mean, I know you've had it tough these last couple weeks, but I was just wondering.

Anything new with this? I mean, I know you've had it tough these last couple weeks, but I was just wondering.
Nope, but I really need to start doing stuff again to get my mind off things (I started my blog back up a few days ago, and wrote a review yesterday), so I'll get back on it now.

I'll make the characters for the last few people and then get into the guts of making the game. I think I'll make this episodic, in small chapters (like how you released Telltale Murder Mystery). That's the best way that I'll actually get this out, I think (plus, episodic can work good, as Telltale showed in their prime, by adjusting the game to be the best it can be based on player feedback). And, I've always worked better when people push me (as I think I've stated before), so I do appreciate the nudge.

Not too late to sign up, right?
Definitely not. :) Just tell me how you'd like to be depicted, or post a picture of yourself, and I'll draw a concept model for you.

I would like to be depicted as a guy with a baseball hat, a tanktop, a cord jacket, jeans (no holes), sneakers, and sunglasses. Oh, and I'm holding a katana and I have a Texan accent.

Not too late to sign up, right?
Definitely not. :) Just tell me how you'd like to be depicted, or post a picture of yourself, and I'll draw a concept model for you.

I still love me as Edgar Allan Poe. So anything new with this?

AnAnemoneInAnonymity's DFAF RPG is inspiring me to get to work on this...

Sorry about the wait y'all. As you all probably know, last year was really crappy for me, as I there were several deaths of people that were close to me, plus I had concentration problems that were pretty serious (it got so bad that I couldn't understand my own code that I had written myself when it was at its worst, so it was pretty scary).

I don't know if I ever publicly mentioned the latter, actually, but it's the main reason why so many of the things I wanted to do last year and early this year were postponed. I don't know if my brain issues are gone now (I hope so!), but my cousin is a nurse and is selling those folk remedy drinks for extra cash. My mom bought some from her, and I figured I'd try them out, even though I don't usually do folk medicine, considering that she is a medical professional.

I think they're working (although I guess it could just be that it's in remission, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not). I've also gotten back into walking everyday, which will hopefully help too. Anyway, I can now understand code again without my brain going all fuzzy, so I finally started coding again.

I'm making a single room adventure game for the business that I started up with my sister and my mom. I decided to use Wintermute, as it's now compatible in ScummVM. I'm going completely retro on this so that I can use it in the DFAF adventure, which is going to be using the original DOTT resolution (or close to it - IIRC DOTT was 320x200, and I'm using 320x240 - I could do 320x200 as Wintermute through ScummVM is super customizable, but I opted for 320x240 instead).

None of the demo projects for Wintermute use such a low resolution (they're all at 800x600), so I'm having to work everything out for it. It's also not natively designed to use a verb menu, but there is an awesome verb menu code snippet that I found (that's dead on the live web, but thankfully was saved by archive.org). I'm working on it now. It's not even ready to show off, as I haven't yet gotten the actor placement figured out, as it spawns under the floor, making the game pretty useless right now as it's below the walkable area. I'll make sure to make updates on my progress as I work things out.

I thought I'd take a break from making the Forum Downtime Adventure Game to work on this. :)

I finally managed to get Wintermute to play properly in 320x240 - plus I managed to adapt a template to have a verb bar interface.

I decided to have us all be NPCs.  Since this is a game inspired by Day of the Tentacle, the main character is a cross between Hoagie, Laverne, and Bernard. Right now her files are located in the molly subfolder. This is a holdover from the Wintermute demo game, but I think I might keep that name.

At the moment, it's just a test room - as the Forum Downtime Adventure was when it first started, but it shouldn't stay that way long.

The sourcecode is here: https://github.com/JenniBee/dfafadventure

Once you build it, you can play it in ScummVM if you want.  I'm not planning on doing daily builds yet, until there's more to play.  But, since the Wintermute devkit isn't available for Linux or Mac, let me know if you're on one of those platforms and want to play it, and I'll be happy to compile it for you so you can play it on your platform through ScummVM. :)

screenshot.png

Hey, @Noname215 you're now in the game in all your pixelated glory. )

I've decided to make a preview build so that you all can try it out:

https://jennibee.itch.io/dfaf-adventure

It's really early days yet, as all that's in place right now is the dialog conversation with Noname215, but it's available now if anyone wants to try it out. :)

dfafscreen.png

If the conversation doesn't involve talking about weapons trafficking or hasenpfeffer, then it's not really me. 

I'm confidant you'll make a game better than those schmucks at Inkagames