Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 20: 8/3/14

Huzzah, a project update! Been busy times over here at DF headquarters, so some fun stuff to update you guys on.

Shay's half of Act 2 is officially at Alpha. We did a full playthrough with the team a few weeks ago and were SUPER pleased with how it went. Last week we also had a HOF to playtest this section with the whole company which was great as well. Always fun to show the other teams what we've been working on all this time. Both of these things left everyone on Team Reds really energized and ready to get started on Vella's section. That's what the next couple months will be focused on as we march towards trying to bring the whole act to alpha by early October.

All of the dialog for Shay's half has now been recorded with our fabulous voice cast and implemented in the game, so we've got the SuperGenius folks coming on board to start taking those animations to a beta level of polish. It will be awesome to have this work going in parallel to our Vella alpha work, as things should be looking pretty good when we roll back to Shay beta work.

As for Tim, he's still on lock down as he works to hit his FINAL writing deadline. I'm sure we'll all be celebrating when that happens. So many lines!!

Things are starting to shape up quite nicely! Looking forward to showing you more in the next doc episode!

IT'S GREG! HI, GREG!

*over enthusiastic fan wave*

Thanks for the update! Wishing you guys well and looking forward to seeing the second half!

Nice, thanks Greg! Looking forward to (hopefully) some more Khris Brown shenanigans in the next episode. I'm also curious if/how you're going to change the spaceship now that it has crashed into the ground. Good luck to you all, keep up the good work!

Wow!

Didn't realise how far ahead you guys were!

The documentary does have a tendency to make out that you've barely begun and it'll take 8 years to do Act 2.

But this post has really lifted my spirits!

Greg, thanks for the nice update! So good to hear from the team and nice to hear that the spirits are so well! Keep up the great work, and can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Great update!

Btw can anyone tell me what 'HOF' stands for? I forgot.

HOF = Hour of Fun, basically a company wide playthrough of current projects.

Great update!

Btw can anyone tell me what 'HOF' stands for? I forgot.

HOF = Hour of Fun, basically a company wide playthrough of current projects.

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification! :)

Huzzah! Thanks for the update and lovely to see things are progressing smoothly :D!

I knew there was a reason why Team Reds rhymed with The Best.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that it's still going well!

Any and all updates are appreciated - they're once in a blue moon these days!

Last update: with the new episode on July 9th (a little less than a month ago)

Update before that: May 30th (so a little more than a month)

So... about once a month, at the moment, then. Or once in a regular moon.

I guess it can move a lot faster due to much of the art already being finished, but I wonder on a percentage scale, how much NEW art (backgrounds/locations) will be in act 2?

I ask mainly because the world is so fun to explore and I wanted to know if/how much more there would be.

Thanks for doing a text update. It would be wonderful if you guys could do more of these like you did in act one... I know you guys are super busy, but getting these small updates really helps us backers keep in the loop... After all showing us the end to end process of writing a video game was the main premise for this Kickstarter campaign.

All the best

Didn't realise how far ahead you guys were!

The documentary does have a tendency to make out that you've barely begun and it'll take 8 years to do Act 2.

I was thinking the same thing before I saw your post. The last episode seemed a lot like the previous one in the "let's start working on Act 2" sense.

I can’t believe Tim is still writing this 2 and a half years later…
Wow. Time effing flies.
After all showing us the end to end process of writing a video game was the main premise for this Kickstarter campaign.
I love to see updates too and was bummed to have to wait 3 months for the last episode but at the same time, they've kind of taken a few steps back and repeating a lot of the same processes for Act 2. But I'm sure the last few episodes will be more eventful.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that it's still going well!
Any and all updates are appreciated - they're once in a blue moon these days!

Last update: with the new episode on July 9th (a little less than a month ago)

Update before that: May 30th (so a little more than a month)

So... about once a month, at the moment, then. Or once in a regular moon.

And before that?

And going back to when they were actually weekly, which they haven't been for a looong time?

But thanks for the clarification.

Nice to see an update. Haven't been here in a while, partly because of the lack of updates. Unfortunately I'm waiting for the complete game to play it, so haven't even been able to watch the documentary episodes.

I anxiously await the next episode...!

One thing that worries me from what we've seen so far of Act 2 is that we won't see many new locales and that the old ones will merely be rehashed.

I anxiously await the next episode...!

One thing that worries me from what we've seen so far of Act 2 is that we won't see many new locales and that the old ones will merely be rehashed.

One of my issues with Act 1 actually was that I found each locale less engaging (than older Lucasarts games) because you typically did one thing in a room and then moved on. Not sure if having a new one thing to do in each room in Act 2 will fix that though ;)

I am so prepared.

I'll be here, waiting patiently in excrement.

^this is what I read at first. I was like "what, you're not even going to take a toilet break? You daren't leave your computer in case BA part 2 comes out while you're gone?"

I am silly :)

Sign in to follow this