Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 20: 8/3/14

I was listening to NPR earlier during work, and between a story about Ukraine fighting and Wyoming wind farms, they played a few seconds of the end of Terrence Lee's "Everything Can Happen" (http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com/) -- which closes the title credits for every episode. Like Pavlov's dog, I thought about a new episode.

Smiles

I am so prepared.

I'll be here, waiting patiently in excrement.

^this is what I read at first. I was like "what, you're not even going to take a toilet break? You daren't leave your computer in case BA part 2 comes out while you're gone?"

I am silly :)

If there was a game release camping queue outside of Double Fine HQ, they would have that exact problem.

not even a reply to gamecreator :/

2PP responded on the documentary front a couple of days ago in another thread: basically they don't want to wrap up the next episode until a couple more things happen to make the episode make sense, but that there's also another sidequest on the way.

Usually they coincide the project updates with the episode releases, but it would be nice to hear from the developers. I do know that a crazy amount of changes have been made to Act 2 in the last month, because Anna Kipnis tweeted about that, and I think Tim has finished the Act 2 dialogue now. Sounds to me like they're still aiming for that year-end release.

It would be nice to get an update on all of this, I agree, but hopefully that at least provides a bit of info that I've gleaned from following folks on Twitter and such.

This is coming a little late to this discussion, but would it be possible to make posts like the OP also on Kickstarter - I just don't always have access to the Internet in order to go on forums, but when I have the Kickstarter automatically send me emails I'm able to keep up to date on developments like the ones shared in this thread. It's a little late in the project, but I know I'd appreciate it if you were able to do this in the future.

This is coming a little late to this discussion, but would it be possible to make posts like the OP also on Kickstarter - I just don't always have access to the Internet in order to go on forums, but when I have the Kickstarter automatically send me emails I'm able to keep up to date on developments like the ones shared in this thread. It's a little late in the project, but I know I'd appreciate it if you were able to do this in the future.

This.

I would prefer weekly little updates (even if just to say hi) that a normal update every 3 months...

Just post this, the 2PP and Anna tweet as an KS update.

Hey Guys, sorry for not reading the updates in a while. I have been super busy working on stuffs. I will do my best to keep up-to-date on more frequently basis moving forward. I read about some challenges DF has been facing; bummer. I continue to support every little project on Steam, voting for DF with my wallet. Chin up. You have a lot of people cheering for you. I count myself among that number.

Hey guys, we'll have another Kickstarter update and documentary episode soon. For now, the production update is the same, still working on taking Vella's Act 2 to alpha and getting close to going back into the recording studio for both VO and live music. Will have more to share when the doc is ready and we hit some big milestones on the horizon. Just sit tight for a bit and we'll get you info when there's concrete news to share! Luckily we'll have Costume Quest 2 to tide us over til then!

Hey guys, we'll have another Kickstarter update and documentary episode soon. For now, the production update is the same, still working on taking Vella's Act 2 to alpha and getting close to going back into the recording studio for both VO and live music. Will have more to share when the doc is ready and we hit some big milestones on the horizon. Just sit tight for a bit and we'll get you info when there's concrete news to share! Luckily we'll have Costume Quest 2 to tide us over til then!

Thanks for the update Greg... although how soon is soon? :-)

Thanks for the update Greg... although how soon is soon? :-)

is it maybe like this evening or something? ^^ haha (just in some desperate need for some visuals or stuff xD ... nooo i'll be waiting patiently ^^ .... ahrg, nothing more uploaded yet ;D )

But yhea, i totally get that getting act II done is kinda a priority there too ^^ i wouldn't mind having it later but more updates / documentations. But i guess that would only be good for my entertainment, but less for the game or the company ^^ so don't listen to me ^^

I would assume from his wording that it'll be sometime after Costume Quest 2 (Oct 19).

Do you mean that you're guessing 19th October for the Kickstarter update? Because Costume Quest 2 comes out tomorrow(!).

On twitter Tim has been describing the next episode as 'very' soon which in Tim speak usually means within a week or two. I think I first saw him say that about a week or so ago, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it at the end of this week or beginning of next. Here's hoping!

Ah, here we go

yrend.PNG

The most recent reference I can find for the Doc release and the Act 2 release. They're still talking about year end (but not committing to it), and doc 'very soon.'

Ha, Greg is here again! Nice to hear something from you. Can't wait for the new doc and good to hear everything's going well!

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that it's still going well!
Any and all updates are appreciated - they're once in a blue moon these days!

Last update: with the new episode on July 9th (a little less than a month ago)

Update before that: May 30th (so a little more than a month)

So... about once a month, at the moment, then. Or once in a regular moon.

Not anymore huh? I want to use expletives ... a lot of them ... DF has been a huge disappointment these days...

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that it's still going well!
Any and all updates are appreciated - they're once in a blue moon these days!

Last update: with the new episode on July 9th (a little less than a month ago)

Update before that: May 30th (so a little more than a month)

So... about once a month, at the moment, then. Or once in a regular moon.

Not anymore huh? I want to use expletives ... a lot of them ... DF has been a huge disappointment these days...

Sure, they've been a little too quiet lately, I've said as much, multiple times... so why are you dredging up this over 2 month old forum post?

That said, I find it difficult to get particularly mad. We're expecting a doc episode next week, which should come with the status update, and then it won't be too long before the game's out. We're at the endgame here, and I'm just looking forward to playing the rest - I don't see what anger over a longer than usual lull in forum updates will achieve us at this stage. Even if it would have been nice to have a bit more.

Fun fact: the dialogue for Vella's Act 2 is being recorded this week (source, Tim + Khris Brown tweets).

My guess is that Vella's Act 2 has significantly less dialogue than Shay's, because the only characters there are likely to be are Vella, Mom, Dad, Yarn Pals, Marek, sacrifice girls, Maybe SpaceWeaver. Maybe the knife?

I would also say that the animation committment will be less, not only because there are fewer characters, but because several of those characters like Mom and Dad only really have faces (unless there's more to them) or have simple faces and movements (SpaceWeaver)

So they've probably roughed out a lot of the Vella act 2 stuff already and are waiting to put in the final animations with the dialogue, and we know that they've been working with the Shay Act 2 dialogue for a while which means this is the home stretch!

Once they've done the necessary animations for this bit, it's just fixes and polish, which ought to be easier this time around.

If I had to guess I'd say that Act 2 could be in Beta in about a month and finalised in about 2. I think there's a very good chance we could see it by the end of the year, still.

Fun fact: the dialogue for Vella's Act 2 is being recorded this week (source, Tim + Khris Brown tweets).

My guess is that Vella's Act 2 has significantly less dialogue than Shay's, because the only characters there are likely to be are Vella, Mom, Dad, Yarn Pals, Marek, sacrifice girls, Maybe SpaceWeaver. Maybe the knife?

I would also say that the animation committment will be less, not only because there are fewer characters, but because several of those characters like Mom and Dad only really have faces (unless there's more to them) or have simple faces and movements (SpaceWeaver)

So they've probably roughed out a lot of the Vella act 2 stuff already and are waiting to put in the final animations with the dialogue, and we know that they've been working with the Shay Act 2 dialogue for a while which means this is the home stretch!

Once they've done the necessary animations for this bit, it's just fixes and polish, which ought to be easier this time around.

If I had to guess I'd say that Act 2 could be in Beta in about a month and finalised in about 2. I think there's a very good chance we could see it by the end of the year, still.

I really hope you are right about this.

Sign in to follow this