Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jethro

The 1.0 Release: Lack of Communication and Disappointment

We were never promised those things. They were listed as features that they were considering for the game, and it explicitly said that portions of the list were never going to happen.

Excuse me for being dissapointed, but by portions you mean more then half the list right? because they skimped out on WAY MORE THEN half the list.

I bought the game, I have a right to be dissapointed.

I bet, if you looked on any other game of the same kind, you would find lists of features that were considered but not implemented that way outnumber the number of features that eventually ended up in the game, and cut parts and features are extremely common.

The real problem as I perceive it is lack of communication and early access adopters not realising how much game devs are all the time forced to drop and move on when they have lofty goals and no limit on the imagination.

Im not super angry, I got like 70 or so hours out of the game. Not too shabby.

Doesn't mean i cant pick on doublefine a little. I am still dissapointed.

We were never promised those things. They were listed as features that they were considering for the game, and it explicitly said that portions of the list were never going to happen.

Excuse me for being dissapointed, but by portions you mean more then half the list right? because they skimped out on WAY MORE THEN half the list.

No one said you don't have the right to be disappointed, but you and a few others have claimed that you were promised things that you were not promised.

You are disappointed that the game didn't meet your expectations. And maybe it's not entirely fault that you were led to have those expectations. But to say you were promised specific things that you didn't get and therefore DF lied or broke a promise seems like stretching the truth.

I would wait to hear more.

I bet, if you looked on any other game of the same kind, you would find lists of features that were considered but not implemented that way outnumber the number of features that eventually ended up in the game, and cut parts and features are extremely common.

The real problem as I perceive it is lack of communication and early access adopters not realising how much game devs are all the time forced to drop and move on when they have lofty goals and no limit on the imagination.

No. All the other games I've bought pretty much that the list 90% filled. This is a crock of horse shit and they know it. Literally fuck this company.

No they didn't. I actually counted. At least half of the list was implemented in some shape or form (some of it mutated into other features as they said it would.)

Several features not on the list were also implemented.

A big chunk of what wasn't implemented was some of the more fanciful items down towards the bottom of the list.

A few of the more prominent things that missed the cut were: multi-level bases, teleporters, and yes, trash/janitors. But none of these were promised, they have always been clear that the development would last as long as they had time and resources, and they'd have to make tough decisions about what to cut.

But if you're saying they left out way more than half the lists well... I've counted, and they didn't.

No they didn't. I actually counted. At least half of the list was implemented in some shape or form (some of it mutated into other features as they said it would.)

Several features not on the list were also implemented.

A big chunk of what wasn't implemented was some of the more fanciful items down towards the bottom of the list.

A few of the more prominent things that missed the cut were: multi-level bases, teleporters, and yes, trash/janitors. But none of these were promised, they have always been clear that the development would last as long as they had time and resources, and they'd have to make tough decisions about what to cut.

But if you're saying they left out way more than half the lists well... I've counted, and they didn't.

DARN YOU AND YOUR LOGIC!

-_-

If you can, go ahead and do it.

you should spike at least half of them though...

Why would you spike a beer? It already has beer in it.

or pull a shanghai.

It would be quite funny.

Maybe. We have to get Psychonauts 2 somehow.

They sent SBDF9 and Hack n' Slash to 1.0 so that they could put together the Psychonauts 2 team.

I hope this is true.

Though I don't think I want JP working on Psychonauts 2 if he can't finish his own game first.

Also, none of this would have happened if Oliver's Redbot's Reboot had won the Amnesia Fortnite instead. Just sayin'... >_>

I got this on sale last week and I see why it went on sale for 50% off now. I am disappointed because this game is really a skeleton. It was my gamble and I realize that I've gotten burned on this one. But games like this one are the reason the EA system is broken. You can get money and then abandon it. DoubleFine is going to get a lot of ill will for this and I am sure it will turn off a lot of people because of the perceived vision that never happened.

They sent SBDF9 and Hack n' Slash to 1.0 so that they could put together the Psychonauts 2 team.

I hope this is true.

Though I don't think I want JP working on Psychonauts 2 if he can't finish his own game first.

Also, none of this would have happened if Oliver's Redbot's Reboot had won the Amnesia Fortnite instead. Just sayin'... >_>

I have a feeling that it's nothing like this. It could be they're gearing up for a bigger project - lots of releases happening at once, after all. But Tim is still too tied up with Broken Age for Psychonauts 2 or another Tim Project to be in Pre-Production.

What we do know is that development is wrapping up in the next month for several teams, and that's gotta be replaced by something. It's too early for Amnesia Fortnight, which means... new announcements soon?

I think we should have a tiny bit more patience, here. We still don't know what features and bug fixes will go into 1.0, or how well documented the code will be for modders. DF will probably fill us in with more info in the next few days.

I think we should have a tiny bit more patience, here. We still don't know what features and bug fixes will go into 1.0, or how well documented the code will be for modders. DF will probably fill us in with more info in the next few days.

What is this? REASON?! ON THE INTERNET?!

I am very sad ... I paid full price for some prototype :(

That's a particularly unfair statement considering that actually the prototype for this game was developed in public, and made available for people to play via Humble over a year ago. The version we have today has had over a year of development put into it.

I hope this is true.

I have a feeling that it's nothing like this. It could be they're gearing up for a bigger project - lots of releases happening at once, after all. But Tim is still too tied up with Broken Age for Psychonauts 2 or another Tim Project to be in Pre-Production.

What we do know is that development is wrapping up in the next month for several teams, and that's gotta be replaced by something. It's too early for Amnesia Fortnight, which means... new announcements soon?

Tim should be finished writing Broken Age Part 2 by now so he only needs to oversee development of the rest of the game.

Meanwhile he could begin writing Psychonauts 2 and it'll be a lot easier process this time since he's had the story in his head since before Psychonauts 1 came out I would suspect.

(i.e. I reject your reality and substitute my own.)

That's a particularly unfair statement considering that actually the prototype for this game was developed in public, and made available for people to play via Humble over a year ago. The version we have today has had over a year of development put into it.

It's close to 2 years, isn't it? It was an AF2012 project.

AF 2012 isn't when production started. That's just when the prototype was born.

The incredible irony of all this is that no more than a month ago they were defending claims that they were pulling the plug and running with the money. That is exactly what they are doing now.

They made a source code and have now washed their hands of it.

They have done a fantastic job at making EA titles on steam, kickstarter projects, indiegogo projects and indeed Double Fines reputation utterly questionable and the whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth. The fact that they slapped such a high price tag on what has become little more than a flash game is ridiculous. Perhaps thats a bit of a harsh statement as it clearly isnt a flash game but the amount of content this game has is appauling. There are demos for games that have more content available and frankly the whole thing stinks of the devs being completely uncapable of doing their jobs and releasing a finished game.

Can you honestly suggest to ANYONE to buy this game in its current state? Its an absolute rip off and a mockery of the gaming industry.

Im pretty certain this is my last purchase from DF and frankly what I once recalled as being one of the best developers out there will now become one of the worst. Sure again you could say its harsh but frankly even EA havn't done anything like this.

Its an insult to everyone who bought the game and supported it, its an insult to our intelligence to make it that its complete and its an insult to any other developer out there who will now struggle to get funding because of shady tactics like this cash grab.

Double Fine is not a random fly-by-night indie dev and we are not going to silently pull the plug on Spacebase or any other in-development project. Doing so would be disastrous for our reputation and it would kill us emotionally ;____;

This is how you flush all your goodwill down the toilet in one fell stroke.

Now, I've watched the Double Fine Adventure documentary episodes, and this is perhaps a case of over reaching (feeding the beast) which ended up with probably some pretty harsh economic realities behind this decision to pull the plug (sorry, sorry, I mean, finalize the game... after an alpha...), but there has been brewing doubt around both Kickstarter and Early Access lately, and now the pioneer, the poster child, the fan darling, does this?

I think I have to revise my first statement:

This is how you flush the entire new indie gaming development scene down the toilet...

All I can say is good luck selling anymore copies now with all the negative feedback (rightly so) and general distaste you guys have managed to throw upon any form of early access/kickstarter program.

We’ll be releasing the game’s full Lua source code a short time after 1.0, which will allow the community to create potentially far-ranging mods that add content
.... I CAN'T PROGRAM! HOW THE **** SHOULD I MAKE MODS FOR THIS GAME? Besides this: Releasing the full code means that EVERYONE WHO PAYED FOR THIS GAME HAS PAYED FOR SOMETHING THAT WILL NOW BE AVAILABLE FOR FREE AND WASTED HIS MONEY!!!

Releasing the Lua codes doesn't mean that you get the whole game for free you idiot. Stop whining about things you don't have a clue about.

Its an insult to everyone who bought the game and supported it, its an insult to our intelligence to make it that its complete and its an insult to any other developer out there who will now struggle to get funding because of shady tactics like this cash grab.

How do you know that it was a cash grab? What makes you think that they did this on purpose as some sort of plot to steal your money and run away with it while cackling and twisting their mustaches?

You have no idea what happened. You're just angry and saying hurtful things because you are angry on the internet.

The guy who made banished also started around that time. Think about that for a second.

One guy.

No kickstarter

No EA

Constantly updated everyone on his progress.

Had a list

Completed his list.

COMPLETED HIS GAME

In one part!

Provided updates after the game came out.

If you don't disown Double Fine company after realizing this then there is no hope for you.

We’ll be releasing the game’s full Lua source code a short time after 1.0, which will allow the community to create potentially far-ranging mods that add content
.... I CAN'T PROGRAM! HOW THE **** SHOULD I MAKE MODS FOR THIS GAME? Besides this: Releasing the full code means that EVERYONE WHO PAYED FOR THIS GAME HAS PAYED FOR SOMETHING THAT WILL NOW BE AVAILABLE FOR FREE AND WASTED HIS MONEY!!!

Releasing the Lua codes doesn't mean that you get the whole game for free you idiot. Stop whining about things you don't have a clue about.

Get some manners if you want to prove yourself smarter xD You are maybe right about the code, but you just proved yourself to be what you called me.

How do you know that it was a cash grab? What makes you think that they did this on purpose as some sort of plot to steal your money and run away with it while cackling and twisting their mustaches?

You have no idea what happened. You're just angry and saying hurtful things because you are angry on the internet.

Well they decided to cancel the development without telling us a proper reason and this smells like money stuff to me. Emjay may be angry, but his point is right as long as nobody proves the opposite...

Get some manners if you want to prove yourself smarter xD You are maybe right about the code, but you just proved yourself to be what you called me.

I might have no manner, but at least I'm not flipping out, shouting on the internet, making up shit while I'm crying about the game.

You are writing that Double Fine is lying to you, that LeBreton shouldn't fear DF, and tell us the real reason behind this move. And he is probably handled worse than us costumers. What are you talking about? What do you expect? That DF comes out in a statement and says "sorry, whe are in a very difficult financial positions and have to cut some features, and release the game" Because that is the truth, everybody should see that. But no company will make a statement like this. And believe me, Breton is not hurt at DF, he probably knows the positions the company is in, and understands what must be done. There are devs in the industry, whose project is cancelled before release, so I think Breton can live with this decision.

Well they decided to cancel the development without telling us a proper reason and this smells like money stuff to me. Emjay may be angry, but his point is right as long as nobody proves the opposite...

See, you talk stupid things like this again. What is DF, the mafia, they steal the customers money and run away with it? I think if that was the case, they wouldn't have spent monts and millions of dollars in a project, before running away with the money, don't you think?

The guy who made banished also started around that time. Think about that for a second.

One guy.

No kickstarter

No EA

Constantly updated everyone on his progress.

Had a list

Completed his list.

COMPLETED HIS GAME

In one part!

Provided updates after the game came out.

If you don't disown Double Fine company after realizing this then there is no hope for you.

Yup. But I guess you can't argue with fanboys since they will still defend a failed game.

*cough* KestrelPee *cough* ;D

Somehow... I love this... People here are either - like me - complaining about the fail of this game while the fanboys like Kestrel and Anemone try/have(?) to defend the company...

And... Double Fine... says nothing.

Says enough for me and I think some of us are too blind to see this.

Sign in to follow this