Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

Why no big announcement yet?

I thought it wasn't due until tomorrow because of a tweet Tim made, but I see he sent out another tweet correcting that first one now. That's pretty neat. I hope they do something to gain a bit of publicity for the release.

Gotta say I was very surprised by that but it fits with the theme of the game and it's an awesome thing to do.

Congrats on releasing 1.0!

I hadn't played the game in quite a while, and it feels a lot more polished now. I decided to replay the first part of the game, so I haven't seen the final stages yet, but I'm really looking forward to those. The workshop support and release of source code is also pretty exciting; I don't have much time to play with it at the moment, but there's a lot of potential for making awesome stuff. Good stuff!

Now I'm going to go and file some more bug reports...

Do we think that maybe Early Access turned out to not be a great idea since upon full release there are no reviews of the game, and none of the gaming sites are really talking about it? Not that Double Fine should have known it would be like this, but I can't imagine that the lack of a conversation about the full release is good for sales.

p.s. I really want to buy the game, but I do not currently have a way of playing it. I'm hoping to get a pc that I can play games on at some point, but for now, my piece of crap is able to run Microsoft Word, and not much else.

Hard to say, hard to say. If the game's already found it's player base though, it would be absolutely lovely to cut news sites out of the picture. They're dissemination middlemen in an era where communication is more accessible than it has ever been.

Of course, if it hasn't made enough to recover costs and keep things moving forward, then a lack of exposure at launch is not so good.

One would hope though, that word of mouth stuff from people who were supporting via Steam Early Access would help get the word out.

It might be more to do with the fact that the reviewers got 1.0 the same time we did, and so they have to play and hopefully finish the game before coming back with a verdict.

That could definitely be it. I'm still hoping that we'll see reviews start popping up.

I hope so too. It's tricky from another perspective as well though. Hack 'n' Slash doesn't really present itself in a way that's friendly toward the kind of shallow play that many gaming press people engage in. A cursory half hour run probably isn't going to expose a lot of what makes the game unique.

There are also other opportunities for interesting/different types of coverage as people discover the stuff hidden in the game (I'm super excited to see what people are able to dig up in the assets and source files) in maybe a similar way to how Valve's ARGs have caught press attention.

I hope to see reviews up, since I am curious to see what they will say. But I look forward to playing it nonetheless.

Smiles

OK, I think I'm really close to the end [DRMRoof] and it was fun, but now I really have no idea what I'm supposed to do LOL. So I'm taking a break from it.

While I managed to hack 98% of the stuff on my own, sometimes I had no clue where I was supposed to go without checking out youtube videos.

The game only crashed once, probably because I messed up one of the scripts, otherwise graphics were cool, framerate was smooth. Hated the music, or whatever that was. :(

It was nice to see a truly challenging game, it's probably in my DF Top 3 after The Cave and Broken Age.

I had no idea this game was released. I almost didn't even notice it at all.

I watched the amnesia fortnight 2012 videos and played the demo through the humble bundle. I was a fan of the idea of the game. Can kind of remember when they made a site and first announced it was in development as a full game. But then I feel like I didn't hear anything about it.

I vaguely remember seeing it on a steam page for what i thought was the early access or beta program. But I didn't want to play through a beta and then have to play again to see the full content once it was released. Then I set it aside in my mind and didn't hear or see anything about the game since.

It was only a fluke that I noticed the Steam store no longer had the early access stamp on the game's banner anymore. Apparently it was released over a week ago now. Never having heard anything about an announced release date or the fact that it was released. Even when I come around to follow the backer forums for DFA and kickstarter updates for Massive Chalice.

It's hard to say as a single data point, and anecdotal story, how that fits in line with everything else. But from my point of view it's a problem that the game went so easily unnoticed for me. And an interesting problem from a design, behavioral, and marketing perspective.

Sign in to follow this