Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saoirse

A Two-Tiered Internet?

Has anybody read this yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6983375.stm

How ridiculous does that sound??

This should never, ever be allowed to happen... surely...

I doubt it would though... I mean, surely Google and Microsoft would just deny their services to any ISP who did this... that means no hotmail, MSN, Youtube, Gmail, Google... etc... for any ISP that charged in this way...

Priority traffic? A lot of sites already do that, charging you money for faster download speeds and extra content. It is pretty stupid but it's likely gonna happen.

Right but this is ISPs doing it, not individual sites.

I don't think it'll happen either to be honest... but how could anybody even think it was a good idea????

Yeah I was skimming through the article, but now I read the whole thing and know what you mean. And if it happened, nothing could really stop them because ISPs have total control over who accesses the internet.

I would have thought (though could be wrong) that the internet is nothing without services like google, microsoft etc... so if those guys refused to supply their services through any ISP that has this two-tiered businessythingamejig, then there'd be no point. 'Cause who wants the internet without google, gmail, google maps, hotmail, MSN... erm, probably lots of other stuff... and other companies would do it too... maybe... and so they'd force the ISPs not to adopt it... right?

At least, that's my understanding of it. I'm probably wrong though :)

I don't know lol, probably something like that. But the ISPs would still have the upper hand, anyway.

Why?

(I have no idea where the internet comes from BTW, you're almost definitely cleverer than me)

I've followed the whole net neutrality debate for a while now, since I'm a pretty big online gamer, and just one of the many ways this'd hit me and a lot of others is literally forcing us to pay more for the same speeds we have now.

But in fact its a lot worse than that. In effect each ISP would have power over which websites load fast, and which slow. So any ISP, like BT for example, who is partners with Yahoo could make sure traffic to www.yahoo.com was prioritised over www.google.com, thereby making sure more people use yahoo search over google. More users means more ad clicks, means more money.

The reason movements like this have any sort of support is simply because of how powerful these corperations are in America, and America is the internet police.

Meh, I sound like some nasty activist, but anything which threatens my ability to enjoy the awesome of the internet is pure evil.

More info if anyone's interested:

http://www.savetheinternet.com/ -Basically the biggest site supporting net neutrality. Little preachy (Understandably), but some nice info on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality -A very thorough article on the whole issue. Including some nice examples of companies and people for and against it, and their reasons.

I'm hoping that if some companies started charging for priority access that the consumer base would vote with its money and go with one-tiered ISPs. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it, and if no one buys it, it won't stay in the market very long. But if all of the ISPs go for it, we're probably screwed for awhile.

If this happens, it's only a matter of time before said ISPs begin receiving mail bombs.

It will be tried, just because it looks like a good business model. Hackers, however, won't stand for it. It couldn't last long.

It will be tried, just because it looks like a good business model. Hackers, however, won't stand for it. It couldn't last long.

Fortunately, economics allows issues like this to resolve themselves.

Who'd stay subscribed to an ISP that restricts you from a site you want to see/ limits your speed, when you have so many other internet options?

Some other provider could come and and actually give people what they want, if it's a problem.

I guess it makes things a little more legal. Maybe. But I doubt it'll happen. And if it does, it'll change surely. Surely. Because if it does happen, we'll probably have to pay several houses to access the awesomeness of this site!

(Anyone else ashamed of the... failureness of that compliment?)

Ha, not likely! Our American Congressman aren't old coffin fodder types devoid of technical know-how! They're hip, savvy, and fully aware that preferential treatment to specific sites or even the whims of lobbyists just is NOT cool.

Who'd stay subscribed to an ISP that restricts you from a site you want to see/ limits your speed, when you have so many other internet options?

Some other provider could come and and actually give people what they want, if it's a problem.

You forget, sir, that the pandas over at formerly SBC own the vast majority of what we consider to be the "internet backbone." This means that the data that you transmitted when you hit the "Quote" button, and then the "Submit Post" button, at some point ended up on formerly SBC's network (even if it only passed through). If they tier, then everyone who rents cheapo bandwidth from them tiers.

Note that there is a coalition of pandas forming to oppose the tiering of the interforest. This is new, but it is rapidly gaining popularity. Stay tuned for updates.

Ha, not likely! Our American Congressman aren't old coffin fodder types devoid of technical know-how! They're hip, savvy, and fully aware that preferential treatment to specific sites or even the whims of lobbyists just is NOT cool.

Let's blame this guy!

This is the premiere solution. The backup solution is nuclear war.

Don't worry, I know a panda who knows pandas.

Let's blame this guy!

This is the premiere solution. The backup solution is nuclear war.

Don't worry, I know a panda who knows pandas.

I thought that he was the side effects to a nuclear war.. those socks..!

As long as there are pandas, wolverines, ostriches, and DFAFers, the world will remain a nice place.. two tiered internet or not.

Sign in to follow this