Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
psyrox2k

[Suggestion] Turrets and targeting

I found turrets to be very cool, and yet very annoying in some situations. They definately help a whole bunch with base security, my first real turret test was a hallway around the whole base 3x3, with like 3 - 4 turrets per hall, and more on the corners. this was working pretty well until 3 raiders came, and once haeled butt down a hallway. Since when you tell security to deal with a threat local citizens try to help, about 60% of my base lined up chasing the raider, and my turret pretty much killed about 20 people....

As much as it's cool to try to design in such a way turrets will do their job better and not hurt our own guys, it just seems pretty impractical. It's almost like they can do more harm then good sometime, and upgrades should generally always do good, or do it much more then harm =). I'm a bit torn with good solutions for this, but here goes.

1: Make it do dramatically less damage to friendlies

2: everyone on the ship automatically has a handheld they carry around, and turrets won't shoot at people with these handhelds (an easy way out to make turrets only hit raiders) the cool part of this solution is, you can make turrets not shoot through citizens at all, still making placement matter to a point, because and improper layout means turrets won't shoot at all because friendlies are always in the way.

3: Add tech for turret accuracy, doing the same as above but always hitting raiders automatically, without the shoot animation.

(although I seem to go to tech for a lot of solutions, tech seems to take an extremely long time to learn, I haven't played since the scientist bug was fixed so maybe it's better now, but before I was lucky in a 6 hour game if I got a single item teched. If this is still the case, then teching stuff is a bad solution)

Never bothered with external, I generally have a hard enough time getting 10 of them setup internally with all the other stuff I need before my staff starts beating each other silly.

Sign in to follow this