• Announcements

• Spaff

New Forum software & theme display issues   07/20/2017

The latest forum update has caused some readability issues with our themes!  This was unexpected, so might take a little bit of time to fix, sorry about that. I think we've fixed the main ones though. We could have a bunch of new features too, I just need to look at those and see what we have enabled etc. More on that soon! If you spot any issues or things we need to tweak, please post them here:   a
The Milkman™

DRM-free option on Humble Store?

Unfortunately I'm not seeing reference to a DRM-Free version anywhere, except as a "you'll have to wait and see" sort of thing from several reviewers.

There are Mac and Linux versions... maybe that's what you saw?

Unfortunately I'm not seeing reference to a DRM-Free version anywhere,

Yeah, it's not there anymore (if it ever was, that is).

There are Mac and Linux versions... maybe that's what you saw?

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember seeing it. It was the reason for why I was planning to keep an eye on it and buy it later on.

Oh well, hopefully it will be made available that way soon. Thanks for the help.

The final version of the game uses Steam Workshop now, right? Doesn't Steam Workshop effectively have DRM properties? So for a DRM free version they'd have to cut that stuff out...

As of this moment, the Official Hack 'n' Slash Wiki still says,

Hack ‘n’ Slash is a hacking themed puzzle action game for Windows, Mac, and Linux from Double Fine. The game will be on Steam and DRM-free and is set to be released in the first half of 2014.

(Emphasis mine!)

But… that sentence has also proven misguided about the release date, so it seems unknown whether plans changed, or whoever wrote it had a reliable source in the first place, or a DRM-free release is still (silently) planned.

Was it me, or there was a DRM-free option on Humble Store when it was released?

I saw that on the humble store on launch as well (it had the DRM-FREE icon). I'm guessing it was a mistake from humbles side? not sure if double fine will make the game DRM-Free in the future.

The Steam Workshop integration probably negates a DRM-free release, unfortunately. The core game code is mostly straight Moai from what I've read, so it ends up being a partial open source release.

I bought Hack 'n' Slash on the 11th through the Humble Store. I remember buying it through the store instead of the widget because the store advertised having a DRM-free version, with both the DRM-free icon and in writing. Since the download wasn't included, I immediately wrote an email to them. I'm still waiting for an answer.

The DRM free builds are still being worked on at the moment. There are a few bugs that Brandon are wrangling with and it should be out soon.