Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sswift

Manny Calavera cosplay

Does cosplay count as fan art? :)

VicRKuD.jpg

61bukGt.jpg

Hey guys,

Full disclosure: Usually, I make my costumes completely from scratch, but in this case I decided to do Manny the night before the con using a suit I already had, so in the interests of not screwing it up, I used a template for the mask which I found here:

http://www.monsterandmonster.com/2012/03/paper-face-friday-manny-calavera/

Making the mask wasn't as simple as printing it out of course, as I didn't have access to a large format printer to print it on the two sheets of 2x2' posterboard I used. Instead, I printed each side out on six sheets of card stock, taped them together, and cut the shapes out with a razor so I could then trace them onto the posterboard. I then filled in the black portions with paint marker. I also modified the design by cutting out the eyes and gluing some black fabric in their place. It was still really hard to see though. I could make out the environment well enough to walk around, but I couldn't recognize people or read signs until I was right on top of them.

The pan de muertos (bread of the dead) was made using a couple foam half loaves from Hobby Lobby that I glued together. They promptly broke in half again at the con at which point I had to resort to clear tape I had on hand to repair the mask. And boy did that thing need repairs. It kept tearing, mostly at the seams around the base of the neck.

The gloves too needed constant care. I used adhesive foam and a little fabric glue to attach the bones to some nylon gloves but neither held very well. Next time I think I'd use non-adhesive foam and be a little heavier on the fabric glue.

I also had a Robert Frost balloon, but it ended up being blue because it was my first attempt making balloon animals and I ended up bursting my only five orange balloons after my first successful attempt making the blue version. Doh! Pro-tip: after you inflate the balloon all the way, let half the air out. Oh, and it's impossible to create the shape seen in the game, the balloons simply won't stay in that kind of shape. Who'd have thought they'd put an impossible balloon animal in a video game?

If I'd had more time I'd have probably attempted to make the scythe as well, but alas, it was a last minute costume idea. Maybe next time!

That looks seriously cool*! :-) Thanks for sharing.

*though it would have been infinitely more awesome with a foldable scythe.

I also dressed up as Manny on a recent cosplay party. Although I went for a more high poly/remake look. ;-)

cosplay_manny.jpg

cosplay_manny.jpg.247975c58617a05e7b5fc3

Haha that's beautiful!! Really digging the bread as well xD

haha yhea, the bread right out of the inventary ROCKS ^^ awesome stuff ^^

Sign in to follow this