Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jasondesante

lets talk about moderators

No. You sound like a child right now, and let the record state that I was patient with the children for a very long time.
OK, everyone stop insulting each other. All of you. Calling each other children is not nice, and it's not acceptable. You can debate all you want, but no name calling. Please be civil to each other.

No. You sound like a child right now, and let the record state that I was patient with the children for a very long time.
OK, everyone stop insulting each other. All of you. Calling each other children is not nice, and it's not acceptable. You can debate all you want, but no name calling. Please be civil to each other.

Oh god, we must be making your life a living hell.

Im sorry, but i will probabbly keep complaining.

But i said sorry at some point, remember that.

I demand a recount! Or something equally unintelligible. Yes, Jenni. I will be a good boy.

Im sorry, but i will probabbly keep complaining.
That's fine, as I said you're free to debate all you want, as long as you keep it civil.

I demand a recount! Or something equally unintelligible. Yes, Jenni. I will be a good boy.

a recount?

It does seem unintelligible.

If you are not, then listen.

If you bought a game, and have been supporting it since release, ( you ARE A LOYAL CUSTOMER)

Then you saw that something you didnt like was happening.

and you posted your opinion on the forums.

Then, a day later you come back, and your opinion has just up and disappeared, would you not feel betrayed.

You then find out it has been merged into a super thread, ok, cool.

Then you try to find your post and cant because it is basically unreadable.

Then you realize, no one will really see your opinion becase the thread is almost completely unreadable.

Then you get upset, because, yet again, you feel betrayed.

This is the second half of that post jenni quoted, just in case you didnt see it...

the bottom sentence, isn't there since I GUESS it could be found insulting if not interpreted the way I intended.

But you can always look back at it.

Right. And my second to last post was a direct response to that. Also, pointing out that something silly I said is unintelligible after I said it is unintelligible was an exemplary use of your time and considerable skills.

This is what I read:

"WHAT DOUBLE FINE?! This is outrageous. I'm going to go online on the official website and complain about Spacebase DF-9."

"Oh, look, a thread about the very topic I'm going to write about. Oh well, time to make my own. I want my voice heard!"

*Thread disappears*

"WHAT?! VIOLATION OF FREE SPEECH! I don't care what terms of service agreements I agreed to, you're not allowed to DELETE my OPINION!"

*Moderators inform that the thread was moved, not deleted*

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALALALALALALALALALA."

Right. And my second to last post was a direct response to that. Also, pointing out that something silly I is unintelligible after I said it is unintelligible was an exemplary use of your time and considerable skills.

I had to do SOMETHING to lighten the mood.

-_-

Some of these people will feel that they haven't been heard, unless JP goes through the thread on his own, looking at each post, one by one taking notes as he goes.

And it doesn't lessen the feeling of betrayl by what used to be (and hpefully stays, but this will hurt), a very reputable company.

This is what I read:

"WHAT DOUBLE FINE?! This is outrageous. I'm going to go online on the official website and complain about Spacebase DF-9."

"Oh, look, a thread about the very topic I'm going to write about. Oh well, time to make my own. I want my voice heard!"

*Thread disappears*

"WHAT?! VIOLATION OF FREE SPEECH! I don't care what terms of service agreements I agreed to, you're not allowed to DELETE my OPINION!"

*Moderators inform that the thread was moved, not deleted*

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALALALALALALALALALA."

well.. looking at it that way.............

the merging is still really really odd. to say the least.

edit:

didnt mean to double post, wish i could delete my posts.

Not if you actually pay attention, it isn't. This is how forums work. You don't mirror threads because it becomes too confusing. If the fix for the mistake that you made is also confusing, well, don't keep making the mistake.

I'll agree that merging is a weird choice. If I was a Moderator, I think I would have just let it go, in my opinion. Though, I can understand the choice to move everything into one giant discussion, as to not clutter the forum.

Not if you actually pay attention, it isn't. This is how forums work. You don't mirror threads because it becomes too confusing. If the fix for the mistake that you made is also confusing, well, don't keep making the mistake.

well, then, we agree that next time something happens that is a huge disappointment, that they don't merge the threads so that this confusion doesn't happen again?

Thanks for agreeing with me, BYE! :)

I don't see the moderators as my enemy, but I don't agree with the decision to merge all the threads, because the different threads were pointing at different directions positive or negative about the situation. TrueStoryGuy is maybe also right, but I think it is not a bad thing that the customers want to get heared and you should be able to have at least 5 threads about this topic open... That's my point of view.

...BUT you moderators made a technical mistake: When you merge a thread with another one, you should probably send the guy who wrote the thread a PM. That avoids a lot of complications...

Agreed?

I don't see the moderators as my enemy, but I don't agree with the decision to merge all the threads, because the different threads were pointing at different directions positive or negative about the situation. TrueStoryGuy is maybe also right, but I think it is not a bad thing that the customers want to get heared and you should be able to have at least 5 threads about this topic open... That's my point of view.

...BUT you moderators made a technical mistake: When you merge a thread with another one, you should probably send the guy who wrote the thread a PM. That avoids a lot of complications...

Agreed?

The forum sends a notification to the thread starter when a thread is merged.

Agreed?

The forum sends a notification to the thread starter when a thread is merged.

That means that either some people can't read, were too angry to see the notification or there is an error with the system. Do you get these notifications via mail or as a PM?

As email, it's an automatic process done by the forum when the action occurs in the backend.

Once things have settled down we will go over our policies for this type of situation. I don't believe merging the threads was a bad idea. The size and speed of the threads' growth feels more like the issue, as when two fast growing threads merge it generates confusion from the entwining conversations. We just need to figure out the sweet spot of "merge now, but after that just lock and put a link at the end."

As email, it's an automatic process done by the forum when the action occurs in the backend.

Once things have settled down we will go over our policies for this type of situation. I don't believe merging the threads was a bad idea. The size and speed of the threads' growth feels more like the issue, as when two fast growing threads merge it generates confusion from the entwining conversations. We just need to figure out the sweet spot of "merge now, but after that just lock and put a link at the end."

Would be a good idea xD Or just sending the messages as a PM, not as an e-mail, because when people are angry about a "deleted" post they are probably not going to feel like checking their e-mail xD

i think the mods replying to every comment that anyone makes about double fine or the recent decision is putting people off , you have done your job merging the thread now please let them have their discussions without any sort of policing till they get their answers , for every 2-3 posts i either see admin or mod throwing rules into people's face or asking them to refrain from stuff.

here is an example look at how many posts normal users have made and the peace keeping team has done

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/14938/

i am not saying they should not express their views but a ton of posts in every discussion , looks like they are out to defend the practices and they are picking a side.

This issue always pops up when users are given responsibilities to handle the forums , it never ends well . Either they get accused for everything they do in situations like this or power drunk sooner later putting them over the normal users.

I request double fine official admins to please keep the user appointed team away from spacebase threads , to prevent more confuse as to whos decisions are being made and so that the double fine team can directly engage with users without middle pillars.

The recent incident with twitch tv comes to my mind when appointed mods and admins got way ahead of themselves in a official issue and it went bad from there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1r64e8/apology_official_twitch_response_to_controversy/

Please do not let this happen , the fans are hurt , mood in the forums is not happy , please just directly reply to the fans instead of moderating the forums and moving things around and rule keeping.

I request double fine official admins to please keep the user appointed team away from spacebase threads , to prevent more confuse as to whos decisions are being made and so that the double fine team can directly engage with users without middle pillars.
We're not official members of Double Fine, we're just volunteers (I and Darth Marsden even have statements in our signatures stating that). Since we aren't part of Double Fine, we're not doing any sort of policing by stating positive opinions, and we'd be posting the same things if this conversation happened before we became moderators. We are just stating our opinions on the matter, which are just as valid as those who aren't moderators (since we're just fans too, since we don't have any inside knowledge on the workings of Double Fine).

Jenni please just stop posting here

cough

anyone getting the hint yet?

We're not official members of Double Fine, we're just volunteers (I and Darth Marsden even have statements in our signatures stating that). Since we aren't part of Double Fine, we're not doing any sort of policing by stating positive opinions, and we'd be posting the same things if this conversation happened before we became moderators. We are just stating our opinions on the matter, which are just as valid as those who aren't moderators (since we're just fans too, since we don't have any inside knowledge on the workings of Double Fine).

sorry but I literally started LOLing. anyone bothering to read each others' posts or is this actually as hilariously awkward as I think it is. :D

Jenni please just stop posting here

cough

anyone getting the hint yet?

Nope, not getting it. As Jenni stated we have as much right to be here discussing the situation as anyone else, even if we might have opinions you disagree with:

We are just stating our opinions on the matter, which are just as valid as those who aren't moderators

You're welcome to discuss the moderators here though, as long as it stays friendly.

Ya'll know Doublefine has REALLY LENIENT moderation for a forum, right? I personally see a lot more that use Something Awful or Giant In the Playground style moderation....

To give some clarity here, one of the factors we looked at when picking out the community moderation team was their level of activity within the community. These people had been participating in these sorts of discussions since before they were invited to become moderators, and asking them to not would be inappropriate IMO.

Yeah, this forum didn't even ban a guy that was literally caught in the act of deliberately coming over here from another forum to troll people.

You are free to talk about what you like - but the Moderators will curtail insulting or illegal behaviour if it arises.

Apart from that, duplicate posts may get consolidated, and moderators themselves are just as free to have an opinion on matters as anyone else.

jasondesante is now on timeout (no posting whatsoever and doesn't get to see DFA backer forums) for the next week. Any further insults or general dickishness after that time period will result in a ban.

Interesting. I was told to come here to post about moderators, and I find that the originator of the thread has been temp-banned.

A moderator with a cocky Cartman avatar popped into another thread to make a roundabout warning to a non-native speaker that his post "had better not have been something mods should have to worry about," as though one is not allowed to be critical in a thread that has a positive OP or one will face the consequences. Why?

All of these we-mean-business crackdowns -- which I consider to be uncharacteristic of Double Fine -- pop up now when Double Fine has royally screwed up in a way that will seriously hurt its reputation as a business. Double Fine saw tons of unrestricted backlash for Broken Age, but I guess the lesson it learned from that is to be less forgiving in the one place it can control dialogue: its own backyard. That is the incorrect lesson to learn. If I could give my own threat: what a shame it would be for you to pay the heavy price for two mistakes when you could just pay for one.

Maybe stick to moderating trolls during the good times, rather than pulling the authoritarian card when you rip-off customers. Good luck.

Sign in to follow this