Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jasondesante

lets talk about moderators

Closer to 5, I'd say. I just went back and counted.

5 isn't really a 'large general outcry'. Even 10 isn't, in a forum that is getting a lot of traffic right now.

So it's really rather considerate of the mods to take the concerns of that small number of people and review policies, don't you think?

5 isn't really a 'large general outcry'. Even 10 isn't, in a forum that is getting a lot of traffic right now.

So it's really rather considerate of the mods to take the concerns of that small number of people and review policies, don't you think?

You can't be serious. There are 4 on the first page of this thread, and I didn't even show up for two days. There are an additional 4 in the last 24 hours. That's 8. I'm sure there were more in the middle. Do you want me to list them?

This is a very low-traffic forum. 10 is a very significant percentage of people actually posting here.

More like a sneeze...

Can we get a moderator in here to address this guy's trolling, which is explicitly prohibited by the Guidelines? [lol badumching]

You can't be serious. There are 4 on the first page of this thread, and I didn't even show up for two days. There are an additional 4 in the last 24 hours. That's 8. I'm sure there were more in the middle. Do you want me to list them?

This is a very low-traffic forum. 10 is a very significant percentage of people actually posting here.

You're right. It is in fact 8 if you look over the whole thread. 8 whole people. Over the course of 5 days.

My goodness.

Look, I'm not saying your opinion is invalid or that moderators shouldn't review their policies - which they are doing. I'm just saying that 8 people in 5 days is hardly a concensus on the matter. The vast majority of people either don't seem to care enough to give an opinion or actively think you're wrong. So calling it a 'large general outcry' seems disingenuous.

You're right. It is in fact 8 if you look over the whole thread. 8 whole people. Over the course of 5 days.

My goodness.

Look, I'm not saying your opinion is invalid or that moderators shouldn't review their policies - which they are doing. I'm just saying that 8 people in 5 days is hardly a concensus on the matter. The vast majority of people either don't seem to care enough to give an opinion or actively think you're wrong. So calling it a 'large general outcry' seems disingenuous.

It's 10. I counted too.

It's like when Cheeseness tried to argue that 3 closed threads was not a lot in a forum that averages 1.5 new threads a day, an argument that also ignores all the merged threads.

Look, as is often the case with the unfailingly consistent "Everything Looks Fine To Me Here" line of argument from KestrelPi any time anyone is critical of anything DoubleFine, this is tedious. This forum is low traffic. Most of the people I see posting on this subforum have posted in this thread in one way or another. "The vast majority of people" don't even post in this subforum. Of the people who do, 10 of them have posted in this thread against bad moderation. That's a large percentage, considering this subforum probably has 20 active posters at any given time. Feel free to count that too. I don't really care. Ciao.

My goodness.

It's 10. I counted too.

It's like when Cheeseness tried to argue that 3 closed threads was not a lot in a forum that averages 1.5 new threads a day, an argument that also ignores all the merged threads.

Look, as is often the case with the unfailingly consistent "Everything Looks Fine To Me Here" line of argument from KestrelPi any time anyone is critical of anything DoubleFine, this is tedious. This forum is low traffic. Most of the people I see posting on this subforum have posted in this thread in one way or another. "The vast majority of people" don't even post in this subforum. Of the people who do, 10 of them have posted in this thread against bad moderation. That's a large percentage, considering this subforum probably has 20 active posters at any given time. Feel free to count that too. I don't really care. Ciao.

You know, one day when I'm far more bored than I am today I'm going to make a big post linking you to all the time I've criticised or questioned something DF is doing. You know you're being disingenuous, now, or you're just wilfully ignoring the times I am critical.

Obviously, I was talking about the majority of this subforum. Is it 10? I don't care. I counted 8 but what it ain't is an outcry. It's a murmur. It's a bit of a bellyache nested within a larger bellyache. But you're right about one thing: this is tedious.

Moving posts to locked topics and demanding others follow rules you do not choose to is rather stifling.

Then go make your own forum. If you're using someone else's forum you have to follow the rules you agreed to when you signed up, plus any other rules they feel like imposing. This isn't your living room.

Moving posts to locked topics and demanding others follow rules you do not choose to is rather stifling.

Then go make your own forum. If you're using someone else's forum you have to follow the rules you agreed to when you signed up, plus any other rules they feel like imposing. This isn't your living room.

This is Double Fine's well-finished basement party room, to be more specific.

There are about 6 new moderators, but bear in mind that we come from all over the world - I myself am in the UK (the very south coast of England, to be exact), while Jenni is, I believe, in Germany (feel free to correct me, Jenni!).

Well, I guess New York's in Germany now. But where... WHERE in Germany??

For the record, there was a large general outcry against the over-moderation

You can't really set a record with a subjective opinion, you know.

10 people is a very small fraction of the activity this subforum has seen since this thread was started, and there have not only been positive comments in this and other threads, but also improvements to the discoverability of opinions/arguments which wouldn't have been possible with the number of original threads that were originally created (as you've seen though, we certainly acknowledge that a couple of people have felt inconvenienced by this).

As you've been reminded many times, our merging policies are going to be reviewed when things calm down. Further discussion on that point is not warranted.

It’s like when Cheeseness tried to argue that 3 closed threads was not a lot in a forum that averages 1.5 new threads a day, an argument that also ignores all the merged threads.

Tried successfully :D

Of course I addressed that separately. It was in response to you listing them separately in your list of things you felt had been handled poorly. If you wanted them lumped together, then you probably should not have done that to begin with (although as mentioned above, that issue had already been addressed as much as it will be in this thread).

Are you trying to suggest that there were less than two threads a day being created at the time those threads were locked? If so, that may explain some of your perspectives.

lol, I love these random people stoking the flames every so often.

Way to be condescending towards people who want to pop in and voice their opinions. Theirs are no less valid than your own.

I didn't see you being anywhere near as demeaning or dismissive when some newcomer came in that had views that aligned with your own.

This is like when there's a massive outcry from Linux gamers.

I wholeheartedly support the efforts of the community moderators. Keep up the good work, guys/gals.

Nowhere did I suggest I shouldn't have to follow the rules. Additionally, it's rather sad that a forum with hardly any posters to begin with is mocking those with complaints because they apparently don't meet the requisite number of voices to take seriously.

There are about 6 new moderators, but bear in mind that we come from all over the world - I myself am in the UK (the very south coast of England, to be exact), while Jenni is, I believe, in Germany (feel free to correct me, Jenni!).

Well, I was close.

Well, I was close.

We all have to start somewhere. :P

However, I will interject to say that even I saw she is American (as am I) going off of some references in her various posts from Telltale.

Well, I was close.

Jenni is in Germany? And she likes video games? Does anybody know where exactly...

*Girlfriend jumps in with frying pan and hits me on the head screaming "FATALITY"*

Actually she is in Bangladesh right now :'(

Well, I was close.

Jenni is in Germany? And she likes video games? Does anybody know where exactly...

Only if New York has indeed relocated to Germany. Otherwise she's in the US.

Well, I was close.

Only if New York has indeed relocated to Germany. Otherwise she's in the US.

Jenni is a minion or avatar of Yog-Sothoth, and thus lives simultaneously in NY and Germany.

I think we're veering off into the weeds a bit here. This thread isn't for the discussion of people's personal lives.

Jenni is a minion or avatar of Yog-Sothoth, and thus lives simultaneously in NY and Germany.

so there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Germany,_Manhattan

Told you I was close.

But yes, we're very much going off-topic here. Let's get back to discussing how the mods are always wrong and should be fired for their incompetence.

..actually, no, let's go back to talking about where Jenni lives. Hmm, New York's not THAT expensive to fly to...

The flight might be a bit of a waste though. I'm moving across the country in a few months. ^_^

The flight might be a bit of a waste though. I'm moving across the country in a few months. ^_^

Hmmmm... interesting... maybe I can help you mo....

*Girlfriend looks evil*

... ehhhh... help you to motivate yourself to write more good forum posts!!!

(Dat save) xD

hey look I can post again.....

what Justin did made no sense.

this thread was meant to be for people that werent moderators to talk about the moderators but no one understood that.

the posts on page 7....is creepy, and sad, and embarassing. Wow you guys. People like you are the reason girls are always scared to admit they are a girl on the internet. Seriously that is some scary stuff. I could go off on a tangent, but how about treat people with a little respect as human beings.

there is nothing else to be said about this. so much facepalming and miscommunication. the way people were arguing with eachother made me laugh a lot but because of how little clue some certain people had. long story short I'm sure the moderators are cool people but if you (cheeseness) couldn't see how the way you were communicating with people was making things worse and worse, you never will. This is similar to why I disappeared from that Bad Golf Community Edition was you, cheeseness. Sorry I mean no hard feelings or to insult you, but it really did seem like Suejak was trying very hard to talk to you and you were purposefully misinterpreting things, choosing to take things in the most negative light. I don't know how else to explain it besides I'm sorry for even bothering with any of it.

When I started the thread it was asking for one thing and it kinda happened a bit, we had a bit of discussion. I agree with a lot of what both sides have to say, but as far as having a real conversation and figuring out where the middle ground is, I don't care at all. This is a mess, and I'm sorry for participating in it. I only talked on this forum because I cared and didn't mean to get banned or offend anyone or stir the pot more. I didn't mean for this thread to have as much activity as Tim's post.

Sorry for upsetting anyone, but Double Fine, how dare you, seriously how dare you. You should have known better.

hey look I can post again.....

what Justin did made no sense.

this thread was meant to be for people that werent moderators to talk about the moderators but no one understood that.

the posts on page 7....is creepy, and sad, and embarassing. Wow you guys. People like you are the reason girls are always scared to admit they are a girl on the internet. Seriously that is some scary stuff. I could go off on a tangent, but how about treat people with a little respect as human beings.

there is nothing else to be said about this. so much facepalming and miscommunication. the way people were arguing with eachother made me laugh a lot but because of how little clue some certain people had. long story short I'm sure the moderators are cool people but if you (cheeseness) couldn't see how the way you were communicating with people was making things worse and worse, you never will. This is similar to why I disappeared from that Bad Golf Community Edition was you, cheeseness. Sorry I mean no hard feelings or to insult you, but it really did seem like Suejak was trying very hard to talk to you and you were purposefully misinterpreting things, choosing to take things in the most negative light. I don't know how else to explain it besides I'm sorry for even bothering with any of it.

When I started the thread it was asking for one thing and it kinda happened a bit, we had a bit of discussion. I agree with a lot of what both sides have to say, but as far as having a real conversation and figuring out where the middle ground is, I don't care at all. This is a mess, and I'm sorry for participating in it. I only talked on this forum because I cared and didn't mean to get banned or offend anyone or stir the pot more. I didn't mean for this thread to have as much activity as Tim's post.

Sorry for upsetting anyone, but Double Fine, how dare you, seriously how dare you. You should have known better.

Sure thing, no problem.

I don't think it is creepy since it is just a simple joke and not even a little bit serious, but it is everyone's choice to make an opinion about it and I accept critic to improve my English or writing skill, since not everyone can probably comprehend my humor (yet).

Besides this, it is actually pretty funny to see you defending a woman who you "criticized" primarily on your first statement on your first post on this thread. And since this post was also "changed by DF Justin", you got a temporary ban and it is optically visible for everybody that parts have undergone a verbal change, I assume that you might have acted more unfriendly or creepy than me and also made fast assumptions about moderators deleting posts... who don't even have the server rights to do that...

made me laugh a lot but because of how little clue some certain people had.

...you think that is funny? Me too.

To sum this up... there is a German saying which is: "Wer im Glashaus sitzt, sollte nicht mit Steinen werfen" (= "Someone who is sitting in a house build out of glass shouldn't throw with rocks"). I think you maybe get the point.

Cheeseness is actually communicating a lot and also behind the scenes and even if he makes assumptions very fast, I don't think he is not acting friendly or totally unreasonable.

If you just wanted to create a thread for forum users to discuss moderators... you probably should have pointed that out, because if you make a thread about a certain kind of people that criticizes them (positive or negative) then you should be able to understand that they might show interest in it... ^^ Saying this afterwards seems more like you are just searching for a juristification to act angry about their posts. Feel free to correct me of course.

And if Justin really called you a dick [del](avoiding to add a little word with 5 letters to this :D)[/del]... [del]I am agreeing with him[/del] some people could possibly agree with him under certain circumstances, because your grammar is grievous bodily harm (sarcastic exaggeration)... and that is coming from a foreigner... :-/

We have people posting from all over the world, so naturally some of them aren't going to use perfect English. This is no excuse to insult them (or to agree with someone else insulting them). Please don't do so again.

We have people posting from all over the world, so naturally some of them aren't going to use perfect English. This is no excuse to insult them (or to agree with someone else insulting them). Please don't do so again.

Of course not, I apologise. Capital letters in certain places are still a common grammar rule in most countries though and not using them is laziness which I can think about negatively.

The general rule is "if we can understand you, that's all that really matters". We're pretty forgiving when it comes to spelling errors and punctuation so long as your basic message gets across.

Anyway. To respond to some of jasondesante's points.

If you were expecting the mods to sit back in silence whole people talked about them (mostly in very negative terms), then I don't know what to say. Of course we were going to try and explain our actions and defend ourselves. ANYONE would. That's basic human nature. Would you want someone talking about you in full view of everyone?
the posts on page 7….is creepy, and sad, and embarassing.
I'm not denying that things went a little too far, but the original idea was to try and bring a little humour into what had been a very negative thread. As you say though, it went too far and... yeah, I for one am happy to draw a line under the whole thing.
there is nothing else to be said about this.
Cool. Let's leave it at that then.

Sign in to follow this