Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untrustedlife

Discussion about the fact that the complaint posts shouldnt have been merged/mixed up.

Yes, a terrible idea trying to condense the disappointment into one thread hoping it'll die there.

Yes, a terrible idea trying to condense the disappointment into one thread hoping it'll die there.

I think that rather than expecting that it would day, the motivation was to bring people who want to discuss similar things together and make sure that this broader discussion doesn't dominate the subforum.

I think that rather than expecting that it would day, the motivation was to bring people who want to discuss similar things together and make sure that this broader discussion doesn't dominate the subforum.

No it wasnt. You know it wasnt. DO you think we are stupid?

That's not necessary. No one is denying your right to be upset. It makes sense to have a single topic for it.

Since certain moderators are so inclined to keep things in one discussion, this discussion is about why those threds shouldnt have been merged, or should have been merged better.

I noticed that the threads are NOT in the correct order, so mods, please fix this.

What do you guys think? (not the mods, normal forumers)

That's not necessary. No one is denying your right to be upset. It makes sense to have a single topic for it.

not when it is out of order (the order it should be in, if they merged it they should have merged the threads one by one, with ALL posts in the correct order, I have noticed that several posts are in fact out of order, and dont make sense that way.

Thank you.

I get that it's unwieldy when it's out of order, but I assume most people have used a forum before, and know better than to start a new thread for a topic that already has one. If people weren't doing that, the problem wouldn't exist.

i think it was us complaining about the incompetence of the spacebase team and the mods came in and went "incompetence? I'll show you incompetence!"

sorry if that comes across as insulting, it is just my objective opinion on what happened, because it is so obvious that is was the wrong decision it has started it's own separate discussion across multiple threads

I think they're trolling us now

the thread saying that people merging stuff together makes no sense and is confusing....just had some posts merged into it

theyre trolling us or something

I think they're trolling us now

the thread saying that people merging stuff together makes no sense and is confusing....just had some posts merged into it

theyre trolling us or something

Well, my op is now gone.... come on guys, perhaps there is just forum limitations.

edit:

its now back..

As I said, the conversation about merging doesn't belong in the 1.0 topic, so I moved them here as that is where the discussion on the matter is happening. Merging and moving posts is done to make the conversation happen in one place rather than having the same conversation happening in multiple places. There's nothing more to it than that.

Jesus, guys. At some point, the righteous indignation just becomes tedious, and begins to say more about you than the people you're upset with.

Jesus, guys. At some point, the righteous indignation just becomes tedious, and begins to say more about you than the people you're upset with.

I hope people actually decide to discuss here.....

I know you guys are just doing your jobs, but man is this confusing.

Just to be clear, I'm not a mod. Just a fan, like you. I don't think most users are too far off in their opinion of the state of the game, just in how angry they are about it. But I don't feel like anyone is trying to stop you from expressing your anger. Maybe trying to temper it with our take on the situation, but not suppressing, and as long as it's discussed in the right topic, I think it will stay like that.

so if you tell someone that something makes it hard to follow the conversations but they insist it doesn't and they continue to do it, even though many people are saying it makes things more difficult to read and follow and asking for it to stop, but they dont stop

they're basically asking you to leave by being rude to you

how about we just leave

we're only here to share our frustration of how betrayed we feel

why not just peace out and come back in a day or so to read what else happened, but as for trying, how about we stop trying because they are literally making it as difficult as possible for us to even have a conversation here.

No. They are asking you to stop making multiple threads for a single topic so they are no longer forced to confuse the topics by merging them.

my thread was about double fine's reputation in general, it was about 1.0 but my thread was about double fine's reputation in general and not specifically about 1.0

if you want to defend some people on the internet merging threads when the people participating in the discussions in the threads were asking for that to not happen, then good for you.

defending some completely pointless thing on the internet. there is no reason for you to defend that. cool stuff :D

the way people are reacting to each other and creating a negative feedback loop of ignorance and excuses is ridiculous and very easy to walk away from. I simply walk away. For the people that have to live around this are why we're spending the time to tell them that what we think they're doing is counter productive. If you want to complain to me about what I'm saying being somehow counter productive as well, cool.

They were forced by nature to merge those threads and it was actually my fault for not keeping every discussion to the same thread. the internet isn't one giant forum thread, it is just a pointless rationalization. it is pointless to argue like children

I'm going to play some AirMech, I love that game!

Attacking some completely pointless thing on the Internet with the anger of 1000 sexually repressed hornets is even cooler, buddy. But not as cool as pretending you don't care at the end of it. Aw, man. You made me go snarky. I promised myself I wouldnt, too. A gallon of ice cream, a box of Kleenex, and my worn out VHS of The Notebook is my plan for the night, I guess!

It is their strategy to try and mitigate the damage. Don't want the whole forums overtaken with rage at the realization that DF are just a bunch of scammers.

It is their strategy to try and mitigate the damage. Don't want the whole forums overtaken with rage at the realization that DF are just a bunch of scammers.

The moderators have nothing to do with Double Fine. We're just volunteers who give up a little bit of our free time to help around the forum. There's no anterior motive between the merging of the topics. They were just merged to make the conversation happen in one thread instead of the same conversation going on in multiple threads. Nothing more than that.

The moderators have nothing to do with Double Fine. We're just volunteers who give up a little bit of our free time to help around the forum. There's no anterior motive between the merging of the topics. They were just merged to make the conversation happen in one thread instead of the same conversation going on in multiple threads. Nothing more than that.

For me it is just making it harder to follow the discussion line, because there are so many posts on one thread. The discussion is more like getting broken, because nobody has the feeling that his posts will get read. So as far as you are not doing this merging thing with an intention to stop the discussion, you should allow all threads to stay open. I think the people here payed enough to get some server activity in exchange...

Typically you'd just close duplicate threads with a link to the original thread rather than merged what is often redundant posts all into the same thread.

Typically you'd just close duplicate threads with a link to the original thread rather than merged what is often redundant posts all into the same thread.

That's one solution and maybe the best course of action when it's the same person posting the same thing across two threads. I think that in all of the cases in discussion though it was a matter of people continuing the discussion from the 1.0 release thread in separate threads and if we were to lock those with a single post most people would probably not bother reading them at all. And everyone here deserve a chance at making their opinion heard as long as the discussion at hand stays civil.

These forums are relatively slow moving compared to others I've frequented in the past but the single thread per discussion topic is a tried and proven method that works exceptionally well in my opinion. And there's always the option to quote the post you're replying to if it isn't clear which post you're responding to.

thanks to the merge, my opinion got burried under lots of nonsense discussions about minor details... great job!

What do you guys think? (not the mods, normal forumers)

One situation, one community, one topic, one debate, one thread.

It's a concentrated rather than a spread out, diluted thing now. Heck, there might actually be some thematic progression.

I think that user mods mostly downgrade a forum because it leads to a) more bureaucracy and b) strengthens certain character issues. This tends to lead to superfluous actions (kill one thread, open another one, discuss why you did so, ...), people get angry, let people vent, needless off topic conversations about those actions instead of discussing the original subject anymore, user mods jumping at upset users or users whose opinions they can't deal with, somehow this often ends up being a more complex third class community.

I prefer to see a forum as a lake. Sometimes the water is just silent and clear so that you almost can see down to the ground, sometime there is a storm and are ripples and waves are shaking things up or after a long hot summer it even might be threatened to tilt but mostly the lake can handle this on its own due to its self-cleaning powers. In 99% of the cases no external help is needed and it's about the same for a forum.

I don't think mods should tell others what to think and how to say stuff (the forum will take care of such things on its own, last but not least there is KestrelPi) and there is so much more to learn from mistakes and insights you're allowed making on your own. If you haven't experienced this on your own, wait until your kids are old enough.

Very good post, taumel. I think you really hit the nail on the head.

The mods are being way too active in completely unnecessary ways.

As a random complaint, this thread: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewforum/58/ was closed specifically because it highlighted something that the user had supposedly pointed out in the middle of another thread.

This link he shared was a great starting-point for a new discussion, and taught me something new as well. I still haven't found the other post he supposedly made in another thread.

"You already made that point buried in another thread" is a really awful policy. How appropriate that it's from the same Cartman mod who I've complained about on other occasions.

Sign in to follow this