Sign in to follow this  
jasondesante

So long, farewell

Bye Double Fine, it's been great. I'll never forget Painkiller playing during the final boss of Brutal Legend. \M/

I think SpaceBase might end up killing the company :(

You can thank my comment from november 19 2012 for that, don't blame JP, blame me for cursing it

its great this is currently the most voted, but to me its a very open ended description and it seems like the gameplay will be passive and watching a simulation happen. Obviously I know nothing about this game, but yea I dont really understand the idea yet. Will there be anything to do after setting up the world, besides watching a story unfold somehow.

I ended up using mind control and the multiverse to steer reality into making things turn out exactly as I thought. sorry for that

Yep, Double Fine is dead because you don't like one of their games. Its all over.

One thing not meeting your expectations is certainly a good reason to abandon ship and scream at anyone who will listen that the end is nigh. Totally rational.

I'm here because that's where all the cool kids are.

Bye person I don't know.

Bullying at its best, sad to see and suprising that DF allows it.

Jasondesante didn't leave because of bullying directed at him and I don't see anything particularly mean-spirited in this thread. Even so, if there's a specific post you take issue with there's always the option to report posts so that the community moderators or forum administrators can look into them.

Bye person I don't know.

Don't worry, I'm not leaving

Hello person I don't know.

(Directed at the previous page)If this thread is bullying, you went to the lamest school I've ever heard of.

(Directed at the previous page)If this thread is bullying, you went to the lamest school I've ever heard of.

Yarr, in my school they use to hang and quarter me. After they'd killed me, they danced on my grave and forced me to eat shards of glass. Luckily I was dead, so I felt nothing.

Yarr, in my school they use to hang and quarter me. After they'd killed me, they danced on my grave and forced me to eat shards of glass. Luckily I was dead, so I felt nothing.

E0U-6Ep-F3Y

All I have to say about Double fine now:

I'm done with these games that are never finished. Advising whoever will listen to not be suckered into your cashgrabs in the future. Scam company is scammy

...well, that's certainly brought the mood down.

Yeah, it really bums me out when I see a youtube link that isn't embedded :(

I'm done with these games that are never finished. Advising whoever will listen to not be suckered into your cashgrabs in the future. Scam company is scammy

So much stupidity in that TB episode. But he knows how and when to preach to the choir, and stay relevant to his target audience.

He actually takes the Bobby Kotick quotes, about a Tim Schafer game from many years back, and applies them to a game that's not by Tim Schafer.

But yeah, let's listen to smart people like him.

The guy in that YouTube video is the Glenn Beck of the videogame world.

So... Tim Schafer shouldn't let his games balloon and go over budget, but at the same time he SHOULD let development of Spacebase balloon and go over budget. Wait, what?

The guy's central argument also seems to rely on the idea that Spacebase has somehow failed, or has been "cancelled". Every videogame, from Grim Fandango to Half-Life 2, has tons of planned content axed or removed before release. This is normal. The only thing that's different is that with Early Access we get to see the lofty hopes of the developers... instead of just seeing what was produced.

The disappointment that comes from the loss of this content is also normal. It's felt by all developers, filmmakers, etc. etc. They have massive dreams and plans for their project, but if they can succeed at capturing 30% of what they'd hoped for, they've done very well.

The game was always an experiment. If sales kept up (as they did with Minecraft and Prison Architect) then it would have grown and grown, but sadly they didn't -- so we get the limited version of the game.

And now WE'RE feeling that disappointment... thanks to Early Access. If Spacebase-DF9 had been developed privately, we'd just find this cool little space station simulator on Steam. Cool. But since we got to see all their hopes and dreams, some people are focussing on what ISN'T there.

This is the fundamental problem with Early Access in general, and it's got nothing to do with DF or Tim Schafer. Every EA game I've followed on Steam has these issues. If we'd never played the alpha version. If we'd never watched it grow from the spark of an idea. If we'd never read the developers hopes and dreams. We'd all just be taking what is about to be released entirely on its own merits.

The problem here is Early Access, not Tim Schafer, Double Fine, or ballooning budgets.

The guy in that YouTube video is the Glenn Beck of the videogame world.

So... Tim Schafer shouldn't let his games balloon and go over budget, but at the same time he SHOULD let development of Spacebase balloon and go over budget. Wait, what?

The guy's central argument also seems to rely on the idea that Spacebase has somehow failed, or has been "cancelled". Every videogame, from Grim Fandango to Half-Life 2, has tons of planned content axed or removed before release. This is normal. The only thing that's different is that with Early Access we get to see the lofty hopes of the developers... instead of just seeing what was produced.

The disappointment that comes from the loss of this content is also normal. It's felt by all developers, filmmakers, etc. etc. They have massive dreams and plans for their project, but if they can succeed at capturing 30% of what they'd hoped for, they've done very well.

The game was always an experiment. If sales kept up (as they did with Minecraft and Prison Architect) then it would have grown and grown, but sadly they didn't -- so we get the limited version of the game.

And now WE'RE feeling that disappointment... thanks to Early Access. If Spacebase-DF9 had been developed privately, we'd just find this cool little space station simulator on Steam. Cool. But since we got to see all their hopes and dreams, some people are focussing on what ISN'T there.

This is the fundamental problem with Early Access in general, and it's got nothing to do with DF or Tim Schafer. Every EA game I've followed on Steam has these issues. If we'd never played the alpha version. If we'd never watched it grow from the spark of an idea. If we'd never read the developers hopes and dreams. We'd all just be taking what is about to be released entirely on its own merits.

The problem here is Early Access, not Tim Schafer, Double Fine, or ballooning budgets.

Yes, agreed broadly, with the addition that the problem is also, perhaps, in hindsight, that some of this needed to be communicated better. I don't agree with a lot of what is said, but I think maybe I woulda liked to have known the project was winding down a little earlier. Even though I can see their reasons for not doing so.

(edit: whoops, I don't know where I am)

I think anyone for whom being cynical/negative/upset is a hobby or career is inherently sad. Making YouTube videos where you whinge about video games in an angry or frustrated or cynical tone while dropping some snarky cynicism every couple of words is a pastime for the immature. (And honestly? It's almost always young men, isn't it? So much rage in a young man.)

Yes, cynical humor can be funny, as the likes of George Carlin and Lewis Black etc have proven. But those are comedians who talk about ANY and ALL topics.

Imagine if George Carlin had funneled 100% of his cynical humor into deliberately looking for bones to pick with video games. What a sad life. What a waste.