Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AlfredJ

Hacked my way out of the dungeon early (act 3)

Posted this on another forum, but there wasn't a lot of discussion going on there so I might as well drop this here. My apologies if this has already been discussed to death while the game was in production, I just got the game a couple of days ago.

I think I just hacked my way past a significant part of the game. It's in Act 3 - I think I escaped from the dungeon too early.

I still had a couple of puzzles I didn't complete:

- The monster that eats you after you enter a gate. I did get a glitch there: I was messing around with that part, and somehow I could move around after it killed me. I was invisible, my health was zero and nobody could hurt me. Leaving the room made me visible again, but trying to make the guards heal me by setting there damage to a negative value did nothing. I went back to an older savestate to make sure that wouldn't create problems later on though. I have such a ridiculous amount of health that I never have to worry about dying anyway. I'm not sure that there's a way to get through that gate though, the exit is somewhere else, and in my 'zombie state' I still couldn't get to another screen, even though the monster stopped attacking me. Couldn't hack the monster either.

- The tile puzzle with the weird icons. My fairy hinted that I should find a cheat to be able to read them, so I figure I should do something somewhere else before I can solve that one.

- The item you get from that woman who doesn't speak. Using it gives a lot of text with those same symbols, and I need to enter a value at some point, but because I can't read that text yet I don't think I can solve that one yet either.

- I found a magic lamp, and using it gives me a genie, but he also speaks in those weird symbols. Haven't found a use for it yet.

I think that's all the loose ends I had left, I think I explored and solved everything else.

Now, what I did: the main puzzle you need to solve to exit the dungeon is to find a way past the guard that recognizes you from the wanted posters. I think I need to either change my name or appearance, or the poster, or all of them. I think that's connected to finding a way to make the 'script language' readable in English. However, I found out that I could hack myself by throwing the boomerang and let it hit me in the back of the head. I could change my state from 'good' to 'bad' (which I think prevents guards from attacking me, but I'm not sure) and my walking speed. I just set my speed ridiculously high and ran past the guard before he could attack me, and to my surprise that worked. There were a couple of (easy) puzzles after that, and now I'm out of the dungeon.

I think there should be more to the dungeon section though, especially since being able to read those symbols seems very important for the rest of the game. It also seems weird to me that all that is needed to escape the dungeon is the boomerang, making a lot of the puzzles in there unnecessary. I'm probably going to reload to an earlier point. On the other hand I think it's pretty cool how there are multiple solutions to these things, and I might just go on like this to see how far I can get.

So yeah, did I miss anything important there?

You did indeed. Go back to the tile puzzle. The cheat sheet is actually in the same room.

The "getting past the warden by hacking yourself" bug is pretty annoying. This wasn't happening during Early Access. I hope it gets fixed soon for the sake of new players.

Is it a bug, though? Sounds like a valid solution after all, though also like the worst kind of noob trap. :P

I did the exact same thing. I somehow missed the Glyph Room in prison and made it all the way to the end of Cracker Cavern (the Code Stash room) without translating the symbols. I even got through one of the puzzles in Cracker Cavern (the 2nd puzzle where you have to concatenate the two strings on the door to change the word 'random' to something else) by downloading a lua script editor and finding the answer in there. That should have been a hint to me that I missed something, I guess.

Are you guys talking about the same dungeon where you get the magic hat & boomerang? Because I escaped that (back to the overworld) without translating the symbols. I just ran past the warden and with so much health (regening at 10 a day with time at the max setting, so every second or so) and got past him.

I couldn't find anything else to do in there, I came across a room with spinning walls so I couldn't use the boomerang to hack the thing in the middle.

Where should I look?

Are you guys talking about the same dungeon where you get the magic hat & boomerang? Because I escaped that (back to the overworld) without translating the symbols. I just ran past the warden and with so much health (regening at 10 a day with time at the max setting, so every second or so) and got past him.

I couldn't find anything else to do in there, I came across a room with spinning walls so I couldn't use the boomerang to hack the thing in the middle.

Where should I look?

That's exactly where you should look. You have to figure out how to hack that thing in the middle. You have the means to do it.

I managed to beat the game without solving the tile puzzle. Actually, I DID solve the puzzle, but I just didn't press E again to "activate" the rune translation mode. So I assumed I had something else to do and exited the room!!!

I didn't even get the lamp and the pyramid! I just set my speed super-high to get past the warden and that was it.

Reading the forums I realized I skipped those things, so I got back and solved the whole section. :-)

I don't know if all this should be "fixed" (although the rune translation mode should be activated automatically when the player solves the puzzle, IMHO).

On one hand, the whole point to the game is giving you the freedom to cheat and/or break it. I even discovered how to skip the whole final confrontation with the wizard in Tower Level 5: I just deactivated the battle trigger and I simply got on the DRMRoof. That's strange, but it's also pretty rewarding, because you have the feeling of controlling the game flow itself. Of course, in this particular case I knew I was skipping the confrontation, so I got back and faced the wizard. I am not a coward! ;-)

On the other hand, nice sections of the game could be skipped by some players, and it's a pity.

I guess the decision is up to Brandon.

In the case of the Warden I got the impression that this additional solution was by design, since they could easily have avoided it by moving the item that lets you hack the behaviour of the boomerang past the warden. I can't remember anything in that area requiring that ability at least, though it's handy to change your fraction to bad to avoid the guards.

Sign in to follow this