Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Permafry_42

The New Steam Interface

What do you guys think about it? Personally i think the changes have been long overdue. Still I'll be interested in hearing from developers on how the new interface will effect sales and notoriety of new games since the new interface only shows popular new releases by default.

It looks like they've pretty much nailed all of the major complaints, so I'm pretty pleased with what I'm seeing. I already went through my "discovery queue" and it wasn't bad. The last 2 or 3 titles were RTS/civ-style games, which made me raise my eyebrow, since I own maybe one game like that and never play it, but the other 11 or so were pretty spot on, and I either wishlisted them or followed them.

I'm REALLY interested to see how this "curator" business develops. Someone get on twitter and tell Tim and the general DF account that they need to get curatin'.

So far I'm following Zeboyd as a curator. =D

I'd still want a tab with all new releases.

Go to the "popular new releases" tab and look for the config button at the bottom that says "all new releases".

Or were you just saying it should be a tab instead of a button?

Loads of recommended games for me were from my visiting the product page of similar games, which I checked the not interested mark on, while going through the queue...

Oh look there is an option that takes you to a search now. And hey! I would have missed Fritz 14. One of the most important chess games we have on PC.
What? There is only one chess game on PC, Battlechess!

I'm REALLY interested to see how this "curator" business develops. Someone get on twitter and tell Tim and the general DF account that they need to get curatin'.

Agreed!

In fact, what I'd be looking for is a more specific "point n click" adventure game curator. Can't find one right now. Anyone know of such a curator?

I've got good hopes that this will help smaller genres such as point n click to find their way to their crowd, but it's a brand new system so I bet it's gonna be a while before they work out the kinks.

Agreed!

In fact, what I'd be looking for is a more specific "point n click" adventure game curator. Can't find one right now. Anyone know of such a curator?

I've got good hopes that this will help smaller genres such as point n click to find their way to their crowd, but it's a brand new system so I bet it's gonna be a while before they work out the kinks.

I've been in the Children of the Adventure Renaissanse group for a while. I honestly can't say if it's good though, since only 5 or 6 of the 10 games they're curating at the moment are games I would have put up myself. And they're also missing some pretty important games that I would easily put there over The Whispered World, The Walking Dead and Dreamfall.

I think these changes might make it easier to discover new Linux releases and older games that have recently been ported, so I think it's a change in the right direction.

Ah thanks for the tip. The stuff that the "Children of the adventure renaissance" are curating is very limited, but it seems to have a living, breathing community going on with a lot of discussions about current games etc. maybe I should be spamming out TJD there too. :D

PS turns out the one I mentioned is curated by Jan Kavan, the maker of J.U.L.I.A.

cool

edit: there's also (a brand new?) adventuregamers.com curator thingie: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6859083/#p1

You could just create your own any time. All it takes is making a Community-Group.

That's true! But that would require actually sitting down and playing a ton of games to evaluate them, which frankly definitely isn't something I have the time to do, however tempting it may be. :)

I have a feeling this thing is gonna blossom. It's growing like crazy already.

I've got good hopes that this whole thing will help our potential buyers find out about our game. But again, it's too early to tell. Ever since greenlight it's been a lot more difficult for us small-time devs to get any real spotlight on steam, we all sorta drown in the noise.

I'm liking the changes so far (and have felt that a customized view of the store has been needed for quite some time), but there are some fundamental flaws in the older features that still exist. Primarily: the review system and how it is used. I seem to recall Newell stating that the review system isn't working as they intended (same with the Greenlight system), yet the new overhaul has left that part untouched while relying on it quite a bit.

My main beef with reviews is that they're plagued by people making silly comments, memes, or sarcasm ("LOADING SIMULATOR 2014, GOTY! LOLOLOL"), which is made worse by the whole "was this review helpful" system that has turned into "up vote because it's funny", ala reddit/etc. nonsense.

Is there a solution? Well, I've thought of several, but I doubt they're feasible. Mainly, a heavily moderated system that allows reporting and removal of pointless "reviews". Perhaps the moderation doesn't necessarily need to *remove* those reviews or punish that person, but instead just force it to be for friends-list-only viewing so that the general public isn't crammed full of junk. This whole system is a prime example of how the popular vote isn't necessarily a good thing... especially not in the online community where being funny trumps being informative.

This problem also compounds the "mostly positive/negative/etc" consolidated view of the reviews, as the more worthless reviews that show up, the more the average gets broken. If the hordes were ruining things before, it's about to get even worse.

---

I'm also not keen on popularity being default to actually *new* releases. It bugged me when they made that change a few months ago, and it bugs me even more now. Granted, as you can probably figure from the above, I'm not a fan of what is considered popular for the most part. A simple fix is just letting the user decide exactly which tab is their default. Crossing my fingers on that one!

---

Still, I do like the changes overall. I kind of wish they had done a Netflix/etc. style algorithm that let you weed out entire genres, but I completely understand why they haven't done that (gaming tastes *do* change, after all... not to mention an algorithm like that is a gigantic pain in the butt to try and perfect).

My problem with the upvote/downvite system is that people upvote reviews they agree with and downvote views they disagree with.

If the general consensus is that a game is excellent and you write a bad review of it, you can expect a flood of downvotes. Try posting a genuine and well thought out negative review of DOTA 2 and see what happens.

My problem with the upvote/downvite system is that people upvote reviews they agree with and downvote views they disagree with.

Uggghhh why do sites like replicating this reddit bullshit. It doesn't work on reddit despite being against "redditiquette" what the heck makes them think it's gonna work anywhere else

It's a broken system

I've spent quite a lot of time today looking into the whole thing and I honestly believe this change is for the better, though I certainly think there are quite a lot of quirks in the system they need to work out. At the top of my page I get a bunch of horribly uninteresting things recommended to me, but now that I've added some curators that I follow, I found that the content already is becoming more relevant to my tastes. (unfortunately I have to scroll pretty far down to get to these more relevant things.)

Here are some adventure game curators I'm currently following, posted without comment:

Children of the Adventure Rennaisance

Owl cave (makers of richard and alice)

Quality Narrative

Awesome graphic adventures

disclaimer: this is a duplicate of a post I just did over on adventuregamers.com, where I'm having the exact same discussion with a bunch of other people.

I wish they'd update the Steam software itself. It's still a mess, and is essentially nothing more than a web browser with a few extra features. Come on, Valve!

I wish they'd update the Steam software itself. It's still a mess, and is essentially nothing more than a web browser with a few extra features. Come on, Valve!

The in-client browser is still awful. I can't stand to use it because of how unbearably slow it is, not to mention how frequently it fails to load the page completely. But there is always just using the regular web as a workaround. They've got much bigger fish to fry these days, I imagine.

What about the Steam Music Player?

It doesn't seem to have clickable playback controls that I can find (and so no way to manually pause music.) [EDIT:] Apparently, I needed to update my skin.[/EDIT] Also, it doesn't have the ability to specify Album Artist instead of Artist, and it doesn't have multi-tiered organization for a large library (Genre>Artist>Album>Track).

Gah. I have played Floating Point and You Have To Win The Game, two free to play games on Steam. So now it's recommending other free to play games, such as Planetside 2, Loadout, Tribes Ascend, Gotham City Impostors. STOP IT! Please! Free-to-Play is not a genre, it is a business model. Those games are NOT alike in any way. Please stop!

Curators aren't really curators, they're just advanced reviewers. They don't stop Steam from letting shit in.

Steam probably uses the word curators as they know people have criticised what they've let in earlier and they want people to think that they're now curating their store, which they're not.

More about curators here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_curation

What? Strategy first actually publishing a playable game on Steam? Get my skates, I need to go to hell to play a bit of ice hockey!

Sign in to follow this