Sign in to follow this  
Chyron

Recommended Steam Curators

What Steam Curators do you follow, and why?

What games/genres do you like, and how do the curators you follow match up with those preferences?

Jim Sterling, Cynical Brit (TotalBiscuit), JRPG and Anime Gaming and AdventureGamers.com are the four I'm following. Between them, I find I get recommended games that appeal to me without really being confined to ONE genre.

So far:

Zeboyd Games

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I actually probably won't end up following an awful lot of the top curators. Like what's the point of following Kotaku? They review, literally, all games. The range of what they could possibly recommend to you is all games. Any game out of all games liked by anyone on their staff of who knows how many.

When I follow Zeboyd, I know I'm getting the opinion of one or two guys with a specific interest in RPGs of a particular type. That's bound to be pretty consistent.

And RPS has a history of doing a bang up job discovering and talking about games that are a little bit left of center. It's how I found out about Owlboy, for example. I'm gonna give 'me a try.

Update:

Double Fine is apparently now listed, and I am following. (They only recommend their own games and their published games so far.)

Steam probably should have thought of this, but they may need some kind of "verified" system, like Twitter.

I saw a group using John Blow's picture, but then it occurred to me that this doesn't seem like the sort of thing John Blow would give a sh** about, which was the first thing that made me think Steam needs a "verified" system.

He tweeted about it

But having a verification system would probably be good.

He tweeted about it

But having a verification system would probably be good.

Hahaha, the text of all of his recommendations = "It is a good game."

That sounds like the J-Blow I'd expect.

I just looked at Zeboyd's list. Literally everything on it except for one game is already in my library or on my wish list. He even recommended my beloved Recettear!!! It's like we're soulmates.

Also, I just went through the whole RPS list and theirs wasn't too shabby either. Wish listed a hefty handful of new games.

This bodes well for the new curation system. The only negative things I can say about it so far are:

1) Needs a verification system for famous curators.

2) They for some reason went for the clunky "list" organization that has not served them well in the past. Finding a curator with a big name on it (e.g. Double Fine), requires simply scrolling through page after page of curators--some of whom are recognizable names, others of whom are just random internet nobodies with a funny group name.

Right now I'm only following Jonathan Blow, Double Fine and RPS.

Not sure if there will be any point of following Blow, since he so far mostly recommends old indie games that I already own and have beaten. :)

RPS is pretty good so far. They have suprised me with some recommendations, like with Road Redemption Early Access, so I think that one will be a good one to follow.

Not sure about any else. Neogaf has one, but I would assume that their recommendations will be based on price more then quality. ;)

Zeboyd games might be good eventually, but the recommendations so far gives me nothing.

Cynical Brit seems like a bad one. 11 pages already, and few suprises. I might as well just look at the front page instead.

PC Gamer

Jim Sterling

Hardcore Gaming 101

doujinsoft addicts

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Boogie2988

NeoGAF

Anime 1.0

Newgrounds

RetroRemakes

Nintendolife

The good 'ol days

Anime Faction

Indie MEGABOOTH

Zeboyd Games

Giant Bomb

Giant Bomb PC Gaming Hub

ValveTime

Idle Thumbs

Story-driven games

NeoGAF Indie Games

Superbrothers Inc

Double Fine Productions

AdventureGamers.com

Adult Swim Games[Official]

Overlooked Indie Games

The Adventuress

I either like the lists or like the person, but I'm interested in curators that will show me games that I haven't seen that I would play. Pretty simple.

I just figured out you can go to any game you like and see a list of curators who recommend it...

so...

That's a good way to find new curators who think like you.

*down the rabbit hole*

Oooh, I'm actually really liking this one. It works better for folks like me who aren't looking for a really specific game style or mechanic, just an overall good experience

Oooh, I'm actually really liking this one. It works better for folks like me who aren't looking for a really specific game style or mechanic, just an overall good experience

Totally.

On an unrelated note, it's so great to be able to look at lists of games like this now and think "Hey... I can afford this stuff! I could realistically buy each and everyone one of these titles and not put a huge dent in my wallet!!"

Like it's really hard to participate in a forum that's becoming more games-oriented when you can't buy and play games

On an unrelated note, it's so great to be able to look at lists of games like this now and think "Hey... I can afford this stuff! I could realistically buy each and everyone one of these titles and not put a huge dent in my wallet!!"

Like it's really hard to participate in a forum that's becoming more games-oriented when you can't buy and play games

I struggle with this and have accepted that I will never be one of those people that lives on the cutting edge of games and game technology. I pretty much hang out one generation behind. But there are a lot of advantages to that. The games are cheaper, and I already know whether a game turned out great or was all hype. The early adapters clean up a lot of the bullsh*** for me. ^_^

My favorite curator so far is Warp Door, managed by Chris Priestman(formerly of IndieStatik).

Priestman has always had the most *wonderful* uncanny ability to dig up the most fascinating obscure curiosities. Since the titles he picks are rarely big-sellers, don't usually get critical acclaim, and in general are just unheard of, his list holds a lot of power and weight for me.

Another that I'm following that I haven't seen in here is Venus Patrol. Their selection skews way more mainstream, but their reviews are well-written. Their selection is really solid for what it is.

And, finally, RPG Codex. They're incredibly harsh when it comes to modern games, but they have a strong editorial voice that is very strongly "pro" a kind of RPG that I absolutely adore and that has been out of favor with the average gamer since ~2002.

OzwpgmX.png

Went through the Curators again to add some good ones in the first 30 pages, and culled some of the early additions to my list.

I was surprised to not see any ASCII based Rogue-like like Nethack on there - though I guess Steam doesn't carry most of those.