Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowBroker

Lets talk about developers... and their abilities. [Non-rage-thread]

So since Tim Schaefer seems to have stopped answering questions in the "Tim Schaefer answers questions"-thread I wanted to ask the developers for something.

I don't wanna ask about refunds, game keys or anything of that in this thread.

You have mentioned that you will release the "full LOA- or LUA-code" and that you will create a tutorial to get easier into the game.

So... as a non-programmer and noob/newbie, I wanted to ask you, what the LUA-code actually is, which parts of the game it can change or can't change, how you use or work with the LUA-modding-code (programs or editors? Costs for those?) and most important:

Can you please make a few videos of how we can create modifications for the game with the LUA-code?

I would be also very happy to see how your artists creates the visual components (for example: "This is how I make a visual layer for how the spacesuit looks like"). I think DF Burger is probably making those...? ^^

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know that the discussion about refunds or game keys or your anger is not over yet, fellow forum users, but please write in the threads where they belong, so that we can talk about the possibilites, opportunities and traits of the LUA/LOA-code here. If you are helping me to keep this thread clear of these off-topic posts: Thank you!

Lua is a scripting language. Basically, when a game has a scripting language, there's the code for the engine itself that loads on a specific platform (Double Fine's 2HB, based on Moai in this case) and reads the scripting code that tells the game what to do (which is the Lua code). The reason people use scripting languages is because they can port the game to other platforms easily, since you only have to adapt the engine for each platform rather than having to worry about the entire game code. Basically, having the Lua code means that you'll be able to change pretty much everything in the game that isn't hard coded to the engine (it's hard to say what that is without seeing the code, but it's probably just stuff like screen resolution). The actual game logic will be able to be modified to your heart's content.

When the game is released, I'll be diving into the code. I have a little bit of Lua experience, since I wrote an adventure game using Moai and Lua earlier this year, but I'm not by any means well versed in it. If you want to prepare yourself for the game release, it certainly wouldn't hurt to practice with Lua before hand. Since it is a scripting language, you'll need to learn it (although since it's a scripting language instead of a programming language, the syntax is easier to learn than something like C++, as it's based more on English than most programming languages).

Try these tutorials if you're interested. Or, if you want to try your hand at game making before the game comes out, you can take a look at Moai (which is the engine that 2HB is based on, and uses Lua as it's scripting language). There's some tutorials for Moai you might be interested in here.

Having browsed through the compiled script directory tree... it looks like ALL of the game... is in LUA... the engine portion is just the mundane things like acquiring audio and video rendering targets and figuring out how best to render to them... finding input devices... finding and managing files... all of the boring stuff that is exciting to some... but everything from the Front Menu to the Life Giving O2 are all implemented in LUA.

Very interesting for me, thank you! :)

Now I just need to know about how to make graphical artworks with a certain quality from the devs :)

Sign in to follow this