Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

PAX Australia 2014 Meetup

Hey people!

Gosh PAX snuck up quickly! We're down to under a month away now, and a few people have expressed interest in having another gathering (here's some info on last year's one).

We've settled on having another BBQ this year, this time with a more sensible fallback for bad weather!

When: 2:00pm

When: Saturday 1st November

Where: Docklands Park (southern block) - a short walk across the river from the PAX Promenade

Where: DFO South Warf Food Court (if the weather's bad, which is probably will be) - just behind the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (PAX venue)

Info page with a map!

Since this is outside the PAX venue, people who weren't able to get passes will be able to join us, and PAX attendees will need to keep their passes on them so that they can get back in afterward ^_^

I've put together another countdown/info page here, which can be shared around, and we can use the #DFBBQ hashtag again on Twitter.

Ron Gilbert has also sent word that he's planning to join us again :D

Hey people!

Gosh PAX snuck up quickly! We're down to under a month away now, and a few people have expressed interest in having another gathering (here's some info on last year's one).

We could look at having another BBQ, or we could meet in the evening somewhere for dinner.

Anybody got any thoughts/preferences?

Good idea, last year was cool. Weather should be better than last time. Just don't schedule in conflict with anything to do with Star Citizen, like the Saturday night event at 9! ;)

Ha ha, OK. Saturday evening at 9 is out (Rear Admiral 0005 1147 here :D ).

I got an email from Ron who said he had a great time last year but isn't sure what his availability is like.

PAXAUS! Woo! I'll be there! And I'll definitely make it to whatever meet up is arranged :D

Hey :)

Last year was really cool so I'll definitely be there :D

I'm probably ok with any time within the PAX weekend so I don't really have a preference.

I've sent an email to Ron as well, hoping to organise this meetup again. Let us know what you guys work out!

I've sent an email to Ron as well, hoping to organise this meetup again. Let us know what you guys work out!

We probably should avoid hassling Ron too much (not to deter people from reaching out to him in general, of course! - I'm just keen to keep the signal to noise ratio at a manageable level for organising this thing). I've been in touch with him already and he's keen, but not yet sure what his availability will be like. I'll definitely keep him abreast of what we're planning and he said he'll let us know what his movements are when he gets a clearer picture.

I spent the past couple of days in Melbourne and had a chance to scout out the venue and come up with some ideas. The PAX Aus schedule has also just been announced.

I'm going to post some ideas a little later on this evening and I'll get a new web page up soon as well :)

Okeydokey, so udoncat and I spent Tuesday running around Melbourne, investigating the MCEC (PAX venue) and surrounding areas. The MCEC is massive. I have no idea how many tickets are on sale, but it seems unlikely that there won't be indoor space available for people to gather (so that should be an option if all else fails).

After thinking on it, the idea of booking a restaurant feels less workable, since we don't have a clear picture of how many people there'll be (we definitely didn't have 30 people commenting in the forum thread last year), making a booking would be awkward and a bit more pricey, not to mention working out how to split up the bill or whatever.

There are BBQ facilities in a number of nearby parks. One of the closest is about 700m from the PAX venue (I think it's part of Docklands Park, but it's on the block to the south - here's a map). This one has a number of things going for it:

* It's fairly close by - a shorter walk than we had last year, I think?

* It's got a big piece of public art called Blowhole that makes it immediately recognisable

* It's dead next to the Village Docklands/Harbour Esplanade tram stop, which is also on the free city circle tram route

* It's a couple of blocks away from Souther Cross Station (which has storage lockers and a Woolworths inside)

If we get bad weather, then an option for a fallback could be the downstairs food court at the nearby shopping complex (here's a map). Initially we were thinking that it could work as a primary option, but the space is pretty confined, and if we had a similar turnout to last year (30+), then it could be difficult to find seating that could accommodate everybody.

Looking over the schedule, it's tricky to pick a time. I sort of want to say that if we can do 10:00am, there's more chance that we could set up a Skype call or something back to DF, but that's getting pretty early, and it's hard to find a day where that time slot doesn't start to overlap with a keynote or Penny Arcade event, or some other key item on the schedule.

How do others feel about time/timing? Is there anything in the schedule that anybody specifically doesn't want to miss?

*shakes fists from the other side of the country while crying over $500+ one-way airfare*

(seriously though have fun you guys, if DF's sending any more videos I hope they've gotten the localizing ironed out)

So, I just had a quick look at the PAX schedule and I have a few suggestions for times that might be good:

Fri 1pm

Sat 2pm

Sun 12pm

For about an hour or so?

These are just suggestions, of course. Maybe people could have a look at the schedule and see what time might suit them? :)

*Edit* Fri 1:00-2:30pm would probably be my preference ^_^

Well I know I'm in. Thanks Cheese :D

I terms of times for a meet up. I'm pretty easy in terms of what time people can agree on. If I HAD to choose, it would be either Sat 2pm/Sun 12pm. The only reason I'm not 100% down with Friday is that the only thing that "clashes" with that time that I have the slightest interest in would be the Rooster Teeth panel. But as I said before I'm Ok with anytime really.

Alrighty, that seems like enough time for suggestions. Saturday 2:00pm seems to be the way to go - Saturday has the advantage of being accessible to non-PAX goers. Huzzah!

I'll get the BBQ page updated and a countdown timer and all that exciting goodness going tomorrow :)

Another meetup! Neat! How about some "party games" we can all play together during the event? I wasn't able to get tickets for PAX and I'm a bit occupied with my Thesis Animated Film for University, but I'll try to make it!

Oh man... really wish I could have gone down to PAX, if only for the DF meetup :) Have an awesome time guys!

Ah, it would've been great!

Alrighty, so the weather for Saturday isn't looking very promising at this point. It seems to have been jumping back and forth between high and low likelihood of rain. We'll make a call Saturday morning on where we'll end up meeting up.

Is there anybody local who's in a position to bring some BBQ gear (tongs, spatula and maybe some oil)? I don't mind grabbing some gear if we need, but I won't be carting it back to Tassie :D

VU3J9ahmONs

Here's a special message from the DF team. Thanks to everybody who showed up today.

I managed to get some of [url-https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheeseness/sets/72157646830657523]my photos[/url] up (I didn't end up taking many, unfortauntely). I'll update the BBQ page with a recap at some point next week or the week after (depending on how much spare time I have alongside 7DFPS).

15721499611_af47c8e893.jpg

The BBQ area where we were planning to meed before the weather played tricks on us. I was getting rained on when I made the call to fall back to the food court, but apparently it cleared up straight away, leaving a sunny unused BBQ area.

15104255994_335aec5240.jpg

The food court was a little noisy, cramped and not very photogenic, but it wasn't too bad. We had a slightly smaller turnout than last year, but it was still great to see so many new and old faces. It's hard to spot in the picture, but the fellow behind Ron is wearing a Bad Golf t-shirt :D

15538777138_d1fa49df2c.jpg

Jenn dressed as an awesome Elaine with the crochet Guybrush voodoo doll that udoncat made for Ron last year (he brought it with him ^_^ ).

15721506041_31ccce99fc.jpg

Gratuitous "here's a shot with Ron" picture.

15538241507_7838cfa788.jpg

This year, udoncat made Ron a LeChuck doll. He was super cute.

15103469944_9a8689b89c.jpg

Ron, udoncat and LeChuck.

15104039713_3dd1426227.jpg

LeChuck and Guybrush.