Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

I'm watching too much Hollywood movies. Help me find alternatives.

I kinda realized that I've been on a roll lately when it comes to big budget Hollywood movies. Guardians of the Galaxy, Man of Steel, Hobbit 2, Captain America 2, Godzilla, etc.

And I need to get back to watching other kind of movies also. We had a great movie magazine here in Sweden some years ago, that listed short reviews of pretty much all DVD releases, no matter what their origin was, and that really helped me finding other good movies. But they of course changed that by mergin it with another movie magazine and refocused on Hollywood movies.

I don't really value Hollywood movies any more or less then other kind of movies, it's just that it's the movies you hear the most of. But I feel that I should try again to broaden my perspective again.

Some of my favorite movies are:

Bladerunner

The Stuntman

Lost in Translation

Life Aquatic

Coffee and Cigarettes

Clerks 1&2

Chasing Amy

Pulp Fiction

Monsters

Batman Begins

Office Space

Hot Rod

I really like movies that are....movies. I like fantastic scenery like in Bladerunner and Monsters, and I like good dialogue like in Pulp Fiction and Clerks. That's why I dont really care for movies from my country, Sweden, since they most of the time have neither. But I would like to watch movies from other countries, and more american/english indie movies.

Anyone care to share their favorites from those parts, that can help me discover more? I have access to the american Netflix through a proxy plugin, so if it's available there, it's even better. :)

Few of my favourite european movies

La Vita e Bella (life is beautiful)

La Meglio Gioventu (the best of youth)

Loft

Le Fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain

Leon the professional

The Pianist

Melancholia

8 femmes

Ex drummer

4 month, 3 weeks and 2 days

Persona

Antichrist

One of my absolute favourite arthouse films is David Lynch's 'Eraserhead'. It's not for the weak of stomach, mind. Having said that, there are few finer films in terms of allowing an individual interpretation of its meaning. Also, there are also few other films that will burn themselves into your memory and nightmares quite like it. It'll scar you for life (in a good way, in my opinion).

Also, check out Ben Wheatley's films ('Kill List' in particular). Just don't go expecting to particulary enjoy them upon your first viewing. His films demand repeat viewings. They demand that you earn their respect, not the other way 'round. They're well worth the investment though.

Um, other than those... 'The Host' is an interesting watch. As is 'Cheap Thrills'.

If you're looking for a halfway point between arthouse and Hollywood, then these are some great flicks...

* There Will Be Blood (or any of Paul Thomas Anderson's films... don't mix him up with Paul WS Anderson though; he's one of the very worst directors upon this planet)

* A Clockwork Orange (or any of Kubrick's films)

* The Road

* Sexy Beast

* 'Blood Simple' (it's by the Coen Brothers, so of course it's brilliant, like most of their works. I chose this one because it's not only utterly brilliant but it's probably their most 'arthouse' flick)

I'd love to recommend many, many other films but sadly, I've not got my film collection to hand at present and I have a memory like a sieve! There's a couple of really out there Japanese films that I simply can't, for the life of me, remember the titles of.

Beautiful smaller budget movies:

Adam's Apples (Adams æbler)

A Midwinter's Tale

Persepolis

Les Triplettes de Belleville

Son of Rambow

Title: Ink

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071804/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Why: Excellent fantasy. Cool themes. Indie.

Title: Out Cold

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253798/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Why: A brilliantly funny movie about a backwoods snowboarding town in Alaska. Stars Zach Galifianakis just before he got famous. Lots of other cameos as well.

Title: Boondock Saints

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Why: This one isn't going to blow your mind with its story (and in fact, a lot of critics consider it trashy for that reason); but it is a good action flick, and it has some pretty good dialogue. If you're into the Pulp Fiction-ish stuff, it's worth checking out. An awesome B movie.

Title: Donnie Darko

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Why: An Eerie and surreal sort of movie with some very high concepts about time. Some people have to watch it twice before they fully understand everything that happens. Weird cameo by Seth Rogen as a high school bully before he got famous as a screenwriter.

Title: "Leon" aka "The Professional"

Why: I second this nomination

Title: The Count of Monte Cristo

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245844/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Why: It has a different ending from the book, but still a great film. The Count is THE best vengeance story ever told, and it is worth your time to check out.

Title: V for Vendetta

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Why: Speaking of vengeance! You've probably already seen this, but just in case, there it is.

Title: Donnie Darko

Title: "Leon" aka "The Professional"

I can vouch for the sea urchin. These two films are very good.

Look into Korean, French, Japanese, Chinese, and Italian cinema then.

For October, watch Suspiria, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, Opera, Inferno, Phenomena, Deep Red, Demons, The Church, The Host, The House by the Cemetery, The Beyond, I Saw the Devil, and Planet of the Vampires.

Well, Iron Sky was a film. Finnish Kickstarter film. With an awesome director who has been holding great talks about crowdfunding and filmmaking. That was pretty good. Though dark.

Also, Indian film Endhiran was hilarious, though the cuts to massive dance scenes in entirely disconnected areas are somewhat jarring most of the time. It's an over-the-top Sci-Fi Special-Effects-vaganza.

Also, to disabuse you about the quality of Swedish films, check out short film

And finally, if you want a rather long in the build up but well choreographed martial arts film, not filled with overly long fight scenes unlike most Chinese MA films, I recommend Legend of the Fist. Sadly the ending should have stopped on the floor of the Dojo, the last minute of that film takes a huge amount of enjoyment out of it compared to if it had stopped in the Dojo, I think.

The Boxtrolls (an amazing stop motion animated movie from the movie makers of Paranorman, Coraline, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, which are all must watches)

O Menino e o Mundo (A simply amazing 2d hand drawn animated Brazilian film unlike any other movie I have ever seen in my life)

The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya (the most recent of Ghibli Movies; be sure to see all Studio Ghibli Movies if you haven't already since they're fantastic)

The Madoka Magica Anime Movies (All amazing films based on an amazing anime series)

Neon Genesis Evangelion Movies (also must see movies)

The Wolf of Wall Street (ok so this is cheating since it is american, but it is on american netflix and is one of the most engaging movies based on a true story that I've ever seen from hollywood)

The Lego Movie (Another cheating selection, but it is a must watch and is also on american neflix (I think))

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Another excellent anime movie)

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (ANOTHER another excellent anime movie)

Anything made by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvain_Chomet (All amazing animated french films, near the same level as Ghibli)

Or anything by this guy while he was still alive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Kon

Waltz With Bashir

Chicken with Plums

Kirikou and the Sorceress

Also if you're interested in tv shows on netflix, check out ghost hound, breaking bad and house of cards.

Also +1 for Persepolis. The comic is amazing and the movie itself is a masterpiece

Lots of answers and suggestions, thank you for that. :)

The Wolf on Wall Street is kinda part of my definition of a Hollywood movie. That said, I do like movies like that, so I am planning to watch it. And it also exemplies the problem I having; I want to give all kind of movies a proper chance, but I think it's really hard to find movies like that from other markets.

Vainamoinen: Son of Rambow looks fun :). Persepolis is a title I know remember I have seen discussed before at other forums. Need to look that one up.

Donnie Darko, Leon and V for Vendetta are movies I have seen. Great movies. :)

AnAnemoneInAnonymity: Good post :). I will have to take a look at Ink.

Secret Fawful: I should have written that I usually don't watch horror movies, sorry about that. But when I googled those titles they looked that interesting that I am going to try and watch at least one of them.

liorean: I watched Iron Sky, it was great! I would love to find more movies like that! :) Legend of the Fist is available on Netflix, so that's in my "to watch"-list now. Thanks.

Permafry_42: Yes, Boxtrolls! Need to watch that. I'm unfortunately not a big fan of the style of japanese/asian animated movies (I have watched some Ghibli movies though), but like with the horror movies, I am going to make an effort to watch at least one the suggested movies.

I can post some suggestions myself btw!

Drinking Buddies - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2265398/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A really nice drama/comedy movie with Jake "New Girl" Johnson and Ron "Office Space" Livingston.

The Stuntman - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081568/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A fantastic action movie from 1980 with Peter O'Toole, about an escaped convict who stubbles into a movie set and gets hired as a Stuntman.

Oh! Your mention of the Stuntman reminded me of another movie I'd highly recommend, but I warn you that it is one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen.

Title: The Wrestler

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1125849/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Why: A fictional story based on the real stories and experiences of American television's championship wrestlers. It looks at the whole thing very honestly, candidly showing the parts of it that are fake and the parts of it that are not fake. (There is a scene before a fight with Mike Foley aka Mankind where the two wrestlers discuss in very business-like terms exactly which weapons Mike Foley is allowed to use and exactly how many staples he is allowed to put in and where he is allowed to put them, etc.) But the important part is that it depicts what life has been like for a lot of them outside the ring once they retire, and it gets pretty depressing. I watched it alone while drinking, and that made it even more depressing, haha.

Title: The Wrestler

Ooohhh, wrestling; big men in tights! That reminds me of another Coen Brothers film that I can't recommend enough...

'Barton Fink'

It's a great film about a playwright who moves to Hollywood to write Wrestling movies.

No, no, no... that's not a decent summary of what the film's really about. Okay, so there's this guy who's a guest in a hotel, that's actually a metaphor for Hell. Um, it's also literally Hell, kind of. Also, his neighboring resident is sort of, genuinely the Devil but not really. Except that the film's not actually about any of that at all. It's more about one man's disconnect with reality. It's about isolation and loneliness, not necessarily literally so but rather in one's own mind. No, that's not the best description either. It's a film that features arguably John Goodman's greatest performance of his career. Well, that's not a description of the plot, is it? Right, it's a story about a serial killer. No, that doesn't really do it justice. It's actually more like a...

You know what, forget the description. Just watch it! It's a brilliant film.

WK0WjWlVO9w

A brilliant existential film that will admittedly be, in all likelihood, a bitter disappointment to kids looking for cheap R-rated thrills...

1CNyzdmXhe0

I just had another recommendation pop into my head, hence the double post...

'The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover'

This is an extremely dark, almost ethereal film which, surprisingly enough, focuses on the four characters featured in the film's title. It's a nearly faultless film but if you need a specific reason to watch it, then that reason should be the sadistic character of the titular 'thief', as played to grizzly perfection by the sublime man-grump that is Michael Gambon.

It's also an incredibly intelligent film, in the way that its director, Peter Greenaway uses colour to subtly emphasise the various characters' emotions at different stages of the narrative. There's a quite frankly genius scene, where the characters outfits change as they walk from one room to the other, to reflect their change in mood. It's especially clever because you don't even notice the change until it's pointed out to you by somebody else, just as I'm currently pointing it out to you right now!

On the subject of the film's directorial genius; the whole thing is laid out as though it were a stage production and we as the viewer, are sat front row and centre, privy to all of the finer details of the unraveling debauchery, perhaps uncomfortably so. Also, the soundtrack is powerful to the point that when it builds to a crescendo, upon reaching the film's disturbingly repugnant (yet satisfyingly justified) act of vengeance during the finale, I never fail to feel a shiver of creative appreciation travel down my spine.

Two words of warning though...

1/ Be sure to watch the British cut of the film (124 minutes), as opposed to the butchered American release (95 minutes).

2/ Don't eat your dinner whilst watching the film. No seriously don't (and if you do, then have a sick bag to hand). The film's ending is notoriously grim (and also one of the greatest moments in cinematic history). I won't spoil it for you here, just in case you're unaware of how it ends. Suffice to say; a meal cooked to perfection isn't always a good thing!

I think that this short clip from the film, perfectly demonstrates everything that I've been talking about; the use of colour, the theatrical staging, the soundtrack and Micheal Gambon's terrifying and captivating performance...

gkqOgFGle_c

Still not convinced? Okay, how about this; 'The Curse of Monkey Island' parodied the film's title when it came to naming one of its chapters (namely 'Part IV: The Bartender, the thieves, his aunt, and her lover'). If it's good enough for 'Monkey Island', then surely it's good enough for you. Speaking of 'Monkey Island' and related films; 'The Princes Bride' has been cited by Ron Gilbert as one of his main inspirations when creating the original game. I'm assuming that you've seen that already though? If not, sort it out! It's only the single bloody greatest love story ever told (makes 'Romeo & Juliet' look like 'The Love Guru' by comparison).

=======================================================================================

EDIT: One more film recommendation for good luck...

Withnail and I

This is one of the greatest comedies of all time and in terms of quotable dialogue, it's up there with 'The Big Lebowski' (another must see, if you haven't done so already). This is one of those films that only gets better and better with every repeat viewing. It ages like a fine wine, which is rather appropriate considering Withnail's alcoholic love of a fine wine (or any wine for that matter). The soundtrack is comprised from a selection of belting music, reflecting the decade which the film takes place in (the late 60's) and the ending has to rank as one of cinema's most tragically ironic moments.

xT5qhPoRS9g

If I still haven't talked you 'round to watching any of my recommendations, then I think it's a case of that old saying; you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Don't die of thirst at your local multiplex, watching Hollywood junk. Quench your thirst with the cool, icy refreshment that my recommendations offer. Your yearning for a deeper form of cinema shall be satiated, I guarantee it.

Dunno, thinking of movies i liked, maybe ...

The Graduate

Matchpoint

Head-On

A Hijacking

Jackie Brown

Aguirre

Wait until Dark

Y Tu Mama También

The Curse of the Jade Scorpion

Frost Nixon

Heaven

Yojimbo

Point-Break

Ronin

Soul Kitchen

Festen

Efter brylluppet

Down by Law

Indien

Le grand bleu

Logan's Run

Le prénom

Grizzly Man

Rushmore

:

The Illusionist by Sylvain Chomet. It's such an amazing movie. I just finished watching it for the second time and it's just as good as the first time.

Look no farther than the Italian spaghetti western.

Particularly those with Mario Girotti and Carlo Pedersoli.

Ah, more suggestions, nice to see :).

Dunno, thinking of movies i liked, maybe ...

The Graduate

Matchpoint

Head-On

A Hijacking

Jackie Brown

Aguirre

Wait until Dark

Y Tu Mama También

The Curse of the Jade Scorpion

Frost Nixon

Heaven

Yojimbo

Point-Break

Ronin

Soul Kitchen

Festen

Efter brylluppet

Down by Law

Indien

Le grand bleu

Logan's Run

Le prénom

Grizzly Man

Rushmore

:

Gonna check them all out on imdb/youtube. :)

Rushmore, yeah, I pretty much love everything Wes Andersson does. :)

SNL did a brilliant "Wes Anderson does a horror movie" trailer.

gSEzGDzZ1dY

Look no farther than the Italian spaghetti western.

Particularly those with Mario Girotti and Carlo Pedersoli.

Let's not forget Franco Nero, Lee Van Cleef, Gianni Garko and Clint Eastwood.

All this talk of Westerns is making me crave some spaghetti...

Let's not forget Franco Nero

...and a latte for some reason.

Franco Nero did the original Django with Sergio Corbucci, the movie that inspired Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained.

Franco Nero did the original Django with Sergio Corbucci, the movie that inspired Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained.

He also went on to open a franchise of Italian Caffès. True story*.

21dfzft.jpg

* Not actually true.