• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Dylan

Release Date for Consoles: Tuesday, October 28th

Original post: I see this is coming out this Tuesday on Steam. What about consoles? My son and I are planning on playing this on the ol' PS4 come Halloween. Certainly it will release before then, right?

Just saw that this comes out this coming Tuesday on consoles and thought I'd update the thread. Here's the announcement link: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/24/costume-quest-2-out-1028-on-ps4-ps3/

Last update was before Halloween, but the exact date wasn't known. Finishing touches I guess.

Plus certification. I thinka lot of them are in cert right now, if not all of them,

Plus certification. I thinka lot of them are in cert right now, if not all of them,
Right. I always forget about just how long console certification can take.

Right. I always forget about just how long console certification can take.

Luckily I don't think it'll hold things up too much. The people in charge of the PSN/Xbox etc stores will probably realise that sales of this game are time-sensitive, and they will want a piece of that, too.

Damn it. I assumed this was going to be on the 360 tomorrow. Oh, well, just a little longer.

Really looking forward to this. Got a parking ticket this morning, so bashing some monsters tonight will be awesome.

anybody knows for certain when it's due out for 360? is it really coming out on the very 31st?

Oh, is really confirmed for Wii U? I don't know how I missed that.

Assuming CQ2 will be out on Xbox One, does anyone know how many players can go co-op? My son is having his birthday party on Halloween with 3 friends so they can game all night. A 4-player co-op would be perfect!

Yes, it's for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360, and Xbox One but I don't have a release date yet. It'll still be single player on consoles.

I wonder why neither the CQ2 web site nor the double fine one mentioned the consoles release, or at least I haven't found anything about it

I wonder why neither the CQ2 web site nor the double fine one mentioned the consoles release, or at least I haven't found anything about it

I imagine it will be added once they have a solid release date to announce.

normally they officially confirm all the platforms the game is going to be out for, and if they don't have a solid release date they just put a TBA after them, the way it appears now it seems as if they don't plan to release it for consoles, as if the consoles release is only a rumor...

normally they officially confirm all the platforms the game is going to be out for, and if they don't have a solid release date they just put a TBA after them, the way it appears now it seems as if they don't plan to release it for consoles, as if the consoles release is only a rumor...

They've announced over and over again that it'll be out on PS3, PS4, 360, XBox One and Wii U. They've said it'll be out by halloween. They've also said here and elsewhere that they'll be able to announce dates once they're through certification on all the platforms.

In fact, a DF staff member said those platforms in the post just above yours, earlier. How does it appear like the console releases are a rumour?

They've announced over and over again that it'll be out on PS3, PS4, 360, XBox One and Wii U. They've said it'll be out by halloween. They've also said here and elsewhere that they'll be able to announce dates once they're through certification on all the platforms.

In fact, a DF staff member said those platforms in the post just above yours, earlier. How does it appear like the console releases are a rumour?

it appears that they should add logos on the website, not just chitty chatting on a forum, I don't come here often, I don't even know who the staff members are and how they really count in the games development

There are two specific things going on here, the way I see it:

- DF needs to get the word out more or in different ways (not necessarily a release date, but simple confirmation about what the game is coming out on and the fact that there *isn't* a release date yet), as current information sources and advertising that's at least effective enough to let people know about the game aren't getting the message across effectively.

- Those interested in the game itself aren't being as observant or resourceful/self-sufficient as they could be.

In my opinion, and like most things, it's a mix of both. DF can pretty easily adjust some of the bigger advertising/information issues out there (example: with some logos/confirmations in the spots most popular for informing people about the game), and we as an audience can pretty easily take the time to glance around a bit more, do some research, and really pay attention to what we *do* see.

If we can all agree to do that, and agree to communicate about potential issues/suggestions/questions with each other respectfully and without instigation or lazy ignorance, then I think there can be a lot of beneficial outcomes and relationships.

(there's a life lesson in there too)

- DF needs to get the word out more or in different ways (not necessarily a release date, but simple confirmation about what the game is coming out on and the fact that there *isn't* a release date yet), as current information sources and advertising that's at least effective enough to let people know about the game aren't getting the message across effectively.
Having just checked, Costume Quest 2 isn't even mentioned in the 'Games' tab on this very site. That tab also states Hack 'n' Slash as still being in alpha. Their bandcamp and iTunes are missing soundtracks for their newer games (ones that have OST on Steam) as well. They really do seem to be running on skeleton crew for the web, community and anything not absolutely critical. I think the rush for Broken Age before the end of the year has Tim / Justin too busy to look into a new community manager / web guy, as the absence of Remo is really being felt.

There are two specific things going on here, the way I see it:

- Those interested in the game itself aren't being as observant or resourceful/self-sufficient as they could be.

This, although there are only 18 days to halloween if you check both websites there's hardly some information about this sequel, let alone the platforms it's going to be on, not many people have time or knowledge to search on forums (provided that what it's written on forums is 100% true and not just speculations), adding logos on the main website and even a TBA if they're not sure themselves about the precise release date is way far more official and believable than just reading forums or rumors in third parties sites, that's me, and I've been a long time player and news hunter on the net and forums, probably getting oldish to spend too much time on forums and searching for hidden details

It hasn't only been announced on the forums, to be clear. In the very first press release for the game, it was announced for (unspecified) consoles and PC, as well as in the announcement trailer.

Later on they have confirmed platforms and things variously around the internet, as well as in these forums.

I'm not saying they couldn't have updated the website with platform information, but it's going a bit far to suggest the console releases seem like a 'rumour'

To be fair most gamers get their news from gaming/news hubs not from the developers' websites. It's pretty common knowledge there are console versions coming, only thing we need is a release date.

In Double Fine We Trust.

To be fair most gamers get their news from gaming/news hubs not from the developers' websites.
That is no excuse; a developer's website should be the foremost, canonical source for information on a game.

To be fair most gamers get their news from gaming/news hubs not from the developers' websites.
That is no excuse; a developer's website should be the foremost, canonical source for information on a game.

Agree, again, people don't go all out to find "possible confirmations" on forums, they just stick to the websites which is supposed to give out all the major details, on forums you just write comments or speculations after you got all the details aforementioned. Honestly I don't think it takes so long and efforts to add the console logos on the web site, as for the release date I'm pretty sure they already have a precise date, it'll be halloween in 18 days, unless they plan to release it on the next year (which is pointless in the case of CQ2) they must already know whether it's gonna be out a couple of days before the 31st or the very halloween day, so c'mon DF, don't be lazy, update the site and add all this info, you're going to benefit a lot more if you do since CQ is not that popular around gamers

We are aware that the pages have become out of date and hope to update them soon.

Hey guys, all the console ports are just waiting to make it through cert. Once that happens we'll have a date! And yeah, we're working on a big overhaul on the game page, so the live one has fallen a bit behind. Working on an update there now though! As for the CQ2 site, that's Midnight City's and they have a new version ready to go live once we're ready to go live with the console stuff.