Sign in to follow this  
Bob Dylan

Release Date for Consoles: Tuesday, October 28th

Yup, it's been in certification everywhere. DF have literally nothing to gain by releasing especially this game later in the EU. Unfortunately, particularly Sony are TERRIBLE and concurrent online releases. You'd think they'd have this mess figured out already.

Of course Double Fine has nothing to gain by releasing this game after Halloween, but I question what caused them to cut it so close. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for future releases. Although, many games aren't tied so tightly to a particular holiday.

That said, loving CQ2 so far.

As far as I know, the games have been in cert for a good long time, now - well in advance of halloween. I would rather question, if all the North America platforms were able to certify the game in time for Halloween, why were SCEE, etc, unable to do it? (actually I don't know - is it out on Xbone or Wii U in europe?)

It's out on Wii U in Europe. I seem to recall reading that it had been sent to certification for consoles a couple of weeks ago.

I apologize to our European fans. I know that the Costume Quest 2 team is upset about this too. We worked hard to finish the game on the date we were told to finish it in order to release on time and it still ended up being delayed.

Downloading it now on the 360! I'm a happy little boy right now.

I apologize to our European fans. I know that the Costume Quest 2 team is upset about this too. We worked hard to finish the game on the date we were told to finish it in order to release on time and it still ended up being delayed.

Thank you for all your efforts, eventually there was no different date for the European release, just a lot of misinformation due to the lack of info about the consoles release on the official pages

Thank you for all your efforts, eventually there was no different date for the European release, just a lot of misinformation due to the lack of info about the consoles release on the official pages

Costume Quest 2 did release in Europe on 360, Xbox One and even Wii U before Halloween, it has however still not appeared on PSN :(

It's nothing to do with Double Fine; it's all down to SCEE (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe) who for whatever reason just have to be different to SCEA.

If Microsoft & even Nintendo can release the game in Europe on the same day as NA then why the hell can't Sony? It's a joke that they still do things like this. It's not just Costume Quest 2 either, they do it all the time. I went with PS4 this gen and I really miss the parity Microsoft have with the Xbox brands in the US & Europe; Sony really do need to pull their socks up and stop being so crap in Europe.

I was going to buy this on PS4, but I was quickly turned off by the lack of cross-buy. It's strange how such a simple feature can dictate a purchase prospect, but I would like to play it on my PS4, and my wife on her PS3. If I'm feeling forced to pay $30 for a game, it better not be digital only.

Any plans to fix this? I'd buy it in a heartbeat the moment Cross-Buy is confirmed/supported.

Ditto.

Sorry, there's no Cross-Buy according to the Playstation blog and I haven't heard any news about that changing.

Sorry, there's no Cross-Buy according to the Playstation blog and I haven't heard any news about that changing.
Is cross-buy determined by Sony or by the publisher?

Costume Quest 2 did release in Europe on 360, Xbox One and even Wii U before Halloween, it has however still not appeared on PSN :(

It's nothing to do with Double Fine; it's all down to SCEE (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe) who for whatever reason just have to be different to SCEA.

If Microsoft & even Nintendo can release the game in Europe on the same day as NA then why the hell can't Sony? It's a joke that they still do things like this. It's not just Costume Quest 2 either, they do it all the time. I went with PS4 this gen and I really miss the parity Microsoft have with the Xbox brands in the US & Europe; Sony really do need to pull their socks up and stop being so crap in Europe.

The same...!

Any chance we'll get Costume Quest 2 on European PS3/PS4 before next Halloween? :-P

EDIT: Sorry, guys! The game's available right now!

Any chance we'll get Costume Quest 2 on European PS3/PS4 before next Halloween? :-P

Not available on the PS4 EU Playstation Store. ^_-

Not even showing as coming soon

Pretty strange, I bought and played the EU PS3 version...

Nope. -_-

I think the European SEN will not release the game on the PS4 Store. Maybe because the first Costume Quest is available only on PS3. However, it's a bad editorial policy from Sony.

The game is still not out on PS4 in Europe, it's almost 2 months since the game launched on PC, this is absolutly ridiculous.

Double Fine could you at least give us an update on the situation?

The game is still not out on PS4 in Europe, it's almost 2 months since the game launched on PC, this is absolutly ridiculous.

Double Fine could you at least give us an update on the situation?

We're doing what we can on our end but we don't have much control over when it's released at this point. We're waiting and wondering too.

Any update on whether the PS4 EU version will ever see the light of day? Been so excited to play CQ2!

Any update on whether the PS4 EU version will ever see the light of day? Been so excited to play CQ2!
It evidently will, but they are at the mercy of Sony as to when, exactly, Sony will push it.

Someone on the PS EU blog wrote the other day:

"I used to work in the industry and still have some friends there who feed me bits of info from time to time. Here’s the basics.

Costume Quest 2 failed QA for Sony Europe for Halloween 2014 as we all know. Double Fine did a quick resubmission to try and get the game quickly, PS3 version passed and was released, PS4 version failed and was blocked again. Double Fine however have taken the decision not to resubmit the PS4 version as it’s a themed game and the time has passed, put simply, they’ve done what Valve did with CS:GO. If SCEE won’t give them a free pass, they’ll simply not release in our region."

Of course this quote isn't official, but is there any chance of getting an official comment on the situation? If it's not ever coming out on PS4, then I'll happily get it on Xbox 360, but without an official word from Double Fine... it's hard to know what to do.

It baffles me how they can have completely seperate cert processes on both regions when the content of the game is the same. In the end, the decision may be publisher driven. Resubmitting takes time and money, after all.

It baffles me how they can have completely seperate cert processes on both regions when the content of the game is the same. In the end, the decision may be publisher driven. Resubmitting takes time and money, after all.

Could it have something to do with the different ratings systems?

Costume Quest 2 failed QA for Sony Europe for Halloween 2014 as we all know. Double Fine did a quick resubmission to try and get the game quickly, PS3 version passed and was released, PS4 version failed and was blocked again. Double Fine however have taken the decision not to resubmit the PS4 version as it’s a themed game and the time has passed, put simply, they’ve done what Valve did with CS:GO. If SCEE won’t give them a free pass, they’ll simply not release in our region."

Double Fine? That's strange. Shouldn't the publisher be responsible for this? Costume Quest 2 is just developed by Double Fine, but Midnight City / Majesco is the publisher. My guess is that Majesco cannot afford to resubmit the game any longer.

Double Fine? That's strange. Shouldn't the publisher be responsible for this? Costume Quest 2 is just developed by Double Fine, but Midnight City / Majesco is the publisher. My guess is that Majesco cannot afford to resubmit the game any longer.

That seems more likely. It would be the publisher's call. It's a crying shame, considering the game passed cert on the exact same platform in other territories.

Hey Kestrel!

RE:Bafflement: The certification process includes making sure the game functions, but mainly it's to ensure that it complies with the console specific features. The PS4 has a lot of new features that don't appear on the PS3. New behaviors, new controller buttons with different features, new ways to interact with friends, online rich presence stuff, different formats of marketing art/text, etc... things that don't really have much to do with the game, but take quite a while to comply with. A lot of this is done by the developer and some of it is done by the publisher. It takes a lot of communication between 3 test departments, developer, publisher and console publisher. Each region has it's own builds with it's own set of rules, and some regions have their own ESRB style requirements on top of that (like PEGI in Europe). That's why each port requires a huge effort aside from just getting it rendering properly. Necessary evils to get on new platforms to reach more people!

This doesn't answer why PS4 Euro isn't out yet, but hopefully de-baffles cert slightly.

Hey Kestrel!

RE:Bafflement: The certification process includes making sure the game functions, but mainly it's to ensure that it complies with the console specific features. The PS4 has a lot of new features that don't appear on the PS3. New behaviors, new controller buttons with different features, new ways to interact with friends, online rich presence stuff, different formats of marketing art/text, etc... things that don't really have much to do with the game, but take quite a while to comply with. A lot of this is done by the developer and some of it is done by the publisher. It takes a lot of communication between 3 test departments, developer, publisher and console publisher. Each region has it's own builds with it's own set of rules, and some regions have their own ESRB style requirements on top of that (like PEGI in Europe). That's why each port requires a huge effort aside from just getting it rendering properly. Necessary evils to get on new platforms to reach more people!

This doesn't answer why PS4 Euro isn't out yet, but hopefully de-baffles cert slightly.

Thanks for the response - however it was really bafflement at how Sony run completely different cert processes as I'm not sure but it sounds like the PS4 EU cert failures weren't region specific?

Believe me, I'm in no doubt over the hidden complexities of porting and I'm sure that carries over to cert :)

Believe me, I'm in no doubt over the hidden complexities of porting and I'm sure that carries over to cert :)

Whoops! I think I misread your comment.

There's no one reason why really. There were a myriad of things that contributed to delays including the stuff in Tim's tweet above. It will be released as soon as possible! No one wants it out more than me!