Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Dylan

Release Date for Consoles: Tuesday, October 28th

And yep, definitely feeling the loss of Remo. There are a lot of projects nearing ship at the studio right now and it's got everyone stretched pretty thin. Please bear with us for a bit while we work to wrap up a few new rad games, and def let the new community moderators (hi thanks mods for the help!) know if you feel anything is being ignored and they'll get ahold of us.

Hey guys, all the console ports are just waiting to make it through cert. Once that happens we'll have a date! And yeah, we're working on a big overhaul on the game page, so the live one has fallen a bit behind. Working on an update there now though! As for the CQ2 site, that's Midnight City's and they have a new version ready to go live once we're ready to go live with the console stuff.

Thank you, I hope it''ll be out before Halloween though, otherwise it wouldn't make sense

I hope this doesn't negatively affect the game's sales too much. Hopefully, I am in the minority with wanting to play it on my console and that most of DF's sales come from Steam. First game was so great and I am ready for the sequel.

I hope this doesn't negatively affect the game's sales too much. Hopefully, I am in the minority with wanting to play it on my console and that most of DF's sales come from Steam. First game was so great and I am ready for the sequel.

It's not Halloween yet; there's still time!

Yes, I understand that but you would have to think being able to push CQ2 since 10-6 would have generated more sales than randomly one day saying 'hey, you can buy CQ2 now on the consoles' just a few days before Halloween. Plus the reviews on game sites are done now. The buzz has to be waning. And that, as a huge fan of the first game, is disappointing to me. I even bought the book for my kids to try and make the wait more bearable.

it'll be halloween in 10 days, and if it has to be out within halloween I really doubt they still have no date nor cert, it makes no sense to announce a console game the very day it comes out, the all thing makes me believe the console port will be out after halloween which is ridiculous

You'll have to believe me that we honestly have no date yet. Yes, of course we would have liked the console versions to be out by now but it's not entirely up to us.

I guess my follow up question is (because I am not in the industry): once CQ2 is certified for the consoles how quickly can it be released? Say it gets certified on Friday, will people be able to play by Saturday or is there another waiting period?

You'll have to believe me that we honestly have no date yet. Yes, of course we would have liked the console versions to be out by now but it's not entirely up to us.

So there's a strong chance it'll be out after halloween right?

I guess my follow up question is (because I am not in the industry): once CQ2 is certified for the consoles how quickly can it be released? Say it gets certified on Friday, will people be able to play by Saturday or is there another waiting period?

If it gets certified on a Friday, it could likely be released the following Tuesday--game releases on PSN and XBL seem to follow the retail schedule, where stuff typically gets released on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

If it gets certified on a Friday, it could likely be released the following Tuesday--game releases on PSN and XBL seem to follow the retail schedule, where stuff typically gets released on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I hope that's not true as that would make hitting a Halloween release completely dependent on whatever this week's cut off date is to hit Tuesday October 28th.

Maybe they are readying some killer Thanksgiving DLC :)

I hope that's not true as that would make hitting a Halloween release completely dependent on whatever this week's cut off date is to hit Tuesday October 28th.

Maybe they are readying some killer Thanksgiving DLC :)

Would be interesting to get some Thanksgiving stuff, like a turkey costume, or a costume of a can of cranberry sauce.

If there's one thing I've learned by playing Costume Quest 1 and 2, it's that Halloween should be a whole season, not just a date on a calendar. :D

Yeah, unfortunately the console manufacturers are the ones who set the dates for digital releases for their platforms, and they only release the games on certain days. But, hopefully they'll set the date for October, since I'm sure they want to get as many sales as possible and realize that it'd be best to release a Halloween themed product before Halloween (November definitely does not set the right mood for Halloween, so hopefully the console manufacturers don't have the mindset (or lack of one) that Fox had with the Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors episodes a few years ago. ;)).

Ouch. I hope this was a matter of unforeseen bugs rather than someone dropping the ball, because cutting it close on a themed game like Costume Quest 2 seems very risky. I am sure the guys are more frustrated than us but I am honestly stunned this hasn't released yet. As a small business owner with deadlines of my own this type of delay would have me stressed and very frustrated.

Hey, thanks for the info, Double Fine peeps. I'm a little worried that our exciting Halloween plans are up in the air right now, but I can't imagine being in your shoes, waiting for certification before releasing a Halloween-themed game this late in October... Ugh...

Anyway, here's to hoping everything works out for all of us!

Costume Quest 2 hits PS3 & PS4 Oct 28th w SACKBOY!! http://bit.ly/1t8MZ6Y

Console exclusives? Bah.

Go back to the first page of this topic:

Yes, it's for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360, and Xbox One but I don't have a release date yet. It'll still be single player on consoles.

So its only limited console exclusivity evidently.

Smiles

Console exclusives? Bah.

Yes, it's for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360, and Xbox One but I don't have a release date yet. It'll still be single player on consoles.

Smiles

My comment was written from the perspective of a PC gamer.

Console exclusives? Bah.

Smiles

Not sure if you missed it or are making a joke; the game is on PC too, and is currently on Steam (but none of the other usual stores as of yet).

Console exclusives? Bah.

Smiles

Not sure if you missed it or are making a joke; the game is on PC too, and is currently on Steam (but none of the other usual stores as of yet).

I must've missed your message; my point is that the PlayStation releases are getting Sackboy as an exclusive character; that's what I was complaining about. The Xbox and Wii U releases may also see exclusive characters as well.

I must've missed your message; my point is that the PlayStation releases are getting Sackboy as an exclusive character; that's what I was complaining about. The Xbox and Wii U releases may also see exclusive characters as well.
Ah, ok. Sackboy is owned by Sony (from Little Big Planet) and has become their mascot of sorts. I suspect it's funded in some way (probably licensing fee reductions) by them. Would be interesting if the Xbox gets a Master Chief costume or something and Link (or Mario?) for Nintendo. I doubt it will happen, just would be cool.

Ah, ok. Sackboy is owned by Sony (from Little Big Planet) and has become their mascot of sorts. I suspect it's funded in some way (probably licensing fee reductions) by them. Would be interesting if the Xbox gets a Master Chief costume or something and Link (or Mario?) for Nintendo. I doubt it will happen, just would be cool.

I'd be more upset if Sony had them create a Toro costume; that'd be great.

Hey neat! I own it on Steam already, but I'll probably pick it up for PlayStation 3 too. I usually buy games for both PC and console anyway, but this helped me make the decision of PS3 over Xbox 360 (unless it turns out Microsoft consoles will get an exclusive character too, then the decision will become harder again ;)).

I don't know if I missed it somewhere, seems like there's not date for the 360 release yet, or is it implied that it's due out on the 28th as well? (honestly I don't care too much about the exclusive costume)

I don't know if I missed it somewhere, seems like there's not date for the 360 release yet, or is it implied that it's due out on the 28th as well? (honestly I don't care too much about the exclusive costume)
Microsoft hasn't yet set a date for the Xbox versions. It won't be out on the 28th (Microsoft releases games on XBLA on different days than Sony does with PSN), but hopefully it will be around the same timeframe.

Sign in to follow this