Sign in to follow this  
Jenni

Injokes

Some of my favorite things from Double Fine games are the injokes that reference their previous games. I love the Middle Manager of Justice costume, complete with the Middle Manager of Justice main theme when the special move is used (and the name of the move - Sweet Justice ^_^).

Did anyone notice any other injokes? :)

Some of my favorite things from Double Fine games are the injokes that reference their previous games. I love the Middle Manager of Justice costume, complete with the Middle Manager of Justice main theme when the special move is used (and the name of the move - Sweet Justice ^_^).

Did anyone notice any other injokes? :)

I don't remember the exact wording, but I think at two points, the kids were addressed as "Little child" or "Human child", and my brain read those words to me in Linda's voice.

Also, I swear, the teeth on that clown model are pure DF; they look so familiar. Edit: Just remembered--they remind me of the actors in the theatre level of Psychonauts.

I picked up on a lot of connections and references to CQ1! I got a warm and fuzzy feeling inside when I recognized all of them. :D

I just noticed Curtis the Lumberjack from Broken Age as a child in the past (complete with a funny reference to the game when you talk to him). I'm loving looking around for hidden stuff like this. :)

I've probably missed a few, but I noticed at least Curtis and Raz (as a cutout in the warehouse). And Redbot upgrade to Robot, if you bought the pre-launch pack.

In the bayou area there is a kid dressed up that looks a lot like Manny Calavera. I don't know if it's intentional but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw him.

Yeah, I thought of Calavera as well, until I saw his eyes start glowing after eating a ton of candy :gulp:

One of the cardboard cutouts was Vella too, surprised nobody mentioned that one yet! I remember spotting quite a few in-jokes, but I can't recall them right now.

Oh, and of course Redbot makes an appearance when you upgrade the regular robot! That's some deep in-joking.

There are a Bee and Puppycat plywood cutouts in the warehouse.

2014-10-09_00001.jpg

2014-10-09_00001.jpg.b19f9c15ef149ed8add

One of the Amnesia Fortnight pitches from earlier this year made it into the game:

ndXCLCK.jpg

Heh, I just noticed the pharaoh does Bobby Zilch's mocking dance when you win a fight. :) That one went right over my head quite a few times because it looks like a standard Egyptian hieroglyphic pose. Then I noticed that the head and hand movements line up, and started hearing Eh, eh, eh... in my head, and it became obvious. :)

I found a character named Mongo, and if you use the Thomas Jefferson costume on him, your character says "Candygram for Mongo!", to which he replies "Mongo like candy"; both are quotes from Blazing Saddles.

Also, Downtown rooftops: Dropchord song playing on the candy corn dance floor, Spin Ready; and, later, in Crestwailer Cove, Final Set is playing.

Ghost Dog gets my vote for most obscure reference!

I can think of at least three more that haven't been mentioned yet.

Edit: Two more after reading the edited posts.

The upgraded Wolfman costume is an obvious reference to the Teen Wolf film series.

Kronoculus proclaiming "I'm so DISAPPOINTED!!!" sounds like a reference to Hercules: The Legendary Journeys:

And the green ghost reminds me of Slimer from Ghostbusters.

And the old CQ1 costume cutouts in the warehouse, both Raz outfits, and the pumpkin scarecrow, which also appears as normal models in the credits area--which has the Invasion of the Candy Snatchers, and a Zac Gorman model!.

Lastly, is what happened in this thread about the bedroom an obscure reference to The Prisoner (Requiring the Mummy's crook to get out of a room that you are otherwise trapped in), or just a freak, awesome coincidence?

One of the cardboard cutouts was Vella too, surprised nobody mentioned that one yet! I remember spotting quite a few in-jokes, but I can't recall them right now.

Oh, and of course Redbot makes an appearance when you upgrade the regular robot! That's some deep in-joking.

One of them was Shay as well!

From what I could see, the cardboard cutouts were the costumes from CQ1, Shay, Vella, Raz, Bee and Puppycat.

Another reference I noticed at the end was one of the kids in line at the Block Party looked like they had a Kermit the Frog costume on.

As far as I'm concerned, the Curtis reference wasn't a kid in a costume, it was the real Curtis. Born with a righteous beard, it is his gift, and his curse. Yeah, I'm just being silly now, carryon.

EDIT: Now that I read nmalinoski 's post, i can't tell if the Cutout I thought was Shay is actually Raz's second costume (unless I just missed raz's second costume somewhere else). The computer I'm on currently can't run CQ2, so I can't check now.