Sign in to follow this  
nicholsonmatt

Dreamfall Chapters

I'm thinking about checking this out, but this would be my introduction to the series.

Any success yet? ;)

I'm thinking about checking this out, but this would be my introduction to the series.

Any success yet? ;)

I'm debating on either checking out the earlier games as you recommended, or just going straight into the new games. I'm still pretty interested in the game, though. I skimmed the series' story premise on Wikipedia and it seems pretty unique.

How long is a typical play through of the two earlier games in the series?

10-15 hours max for each. They're worth playing. Heck, look up the walkthroughs on Gamefaqs to get you through the puzzles quicker, it'll cut down on the time you spend. The stories and the characters are the most important part. I even replayed them this year in anticipation for Dreamfall Chapters. I dunno, see, I played the previous two and I found that I'm actually emotionally invested in the characters, which makes the events of Chapters even more impactful. Seriously, I got weepy, it's a stiff punch right in the feels but I know that it wouldn't have as much impact if I had never played the previous two. Chapters is "better" in some ways, such as its focus on dialog and choice and of course newer graphics, but it's not like deciding if you want to play FIFA 14 vs 15 where you can boil it down to purely technical matters, compare, and decide. The technical differences aren't what matters, it's the story and it's fantastic all the way through.

I've probably said this twice already on this thread, you will not find that your time is wasted after playing the previous two games. I promise. If you're a point n click adventure fan and you missed out on The Longest Journey, you will LOVE IT.

Remember how long we had to wait between LeChuck's Revenge and Curse of Monkey Island? It was like 6 years, it was agonizing, and when it finally came it was glorious. This is very similar, Dreamfall ended with a huge cliffhanger and we've had to endure 8 years without answers.

Really, if you're not convinced by now you probably shouldn't play any of them. Those of us, like myself, that have been on this crazy journey for 14 years have a completely different perspective on it.

I have at this point exhausted everything I have to say on the topic.

How long is a typical play through of the two earlier games in the series?

TLJ is one of the longest adventure games around, and you'll easily hit 20 hours if you don't skip a lot of dialog and don't use a walkthrough. Puzzles are generally rather easy, but there are two odd puzzles that may wreck your brain, one of which is known as one of the most iconically devious in the genre.

Dreamfall is about 11 hours long. It contains next to no puzzles and as there's not that much to explore, chances are that you'll need pretty much exactly 11 hours for the game.

I’m debating on either checking out the earlier games as you recommended, or just going straight into the new games.

If you want to play a great adventure game, play The Longest Journey, which was somewhat of a genre... swan song, hommage or rejuvenation, in 1999. Don't play TLJ as a way to 'get into' the series, that would be doing it injustice. Don't play it with the mindset "I want to get through this, I want to continue". Play TLJ when you really want to take your time for it, that's the rewarding way.

Dreamfall was more of a TLJ "spinoff", and although there are recurring characters, the story works on its own, pretty much. If you just want to leap into Chapters, you could maybe start here. I really hated what they did to the gameplay back in 2006, but the story is still absolutely wonderful. It might even be one of those games that are better served watching on youtube.

However, I'd be interested in the opinion of an adventure game fan who HASN'T played Dreamfall and TLJ before jumping into Chapters, let alone someone who accepted 'new Telltale'. It's easy for TLJ saga fans and reviewers to say "not a chance to understand anything for the uninitiated", but I don't think that's entirely true. The story is indeed of a somewhat baffling complexity for a game, but the slow pace of the first Book is partly because they are trying to reintroduce their story threads. There will be open questions at the end, but that experience is universal. ;)

If the confusion gets a bit too overwhelming, try the TLJ wikia. Chances are you'll read some of my stuff. ;)

@Davies:

Crow is finally confirmed for Book 3, and his voice actor too. And it seems like release is not too far off.

...any word on April?

NO SHE'S NOT DEAD SHUT UP THEY WOULDN'T KILL HER OFF SO PATHETICALLY SHE DESERVES BETTER WAAAAAA!

The ingenious thing was that they didn't kill off April in Chapters. They killed her in Dreamfall already, it was just that no one could believe it.

However, April is "guest starring" in Book 2, heard twice in Kian's mind, which pulled my heart strings with quite some force. Also, of course, Sarah Hamilton voiced Etta in Book 1 and may or may not voice Saga in future books... depending on how much April Saga is, I guess...

Anyway, I assume Sarah will leap at any opportunity to get into the franchise, she's now even considering to go to some cons. The Longest Journey fans, uhm, helped her out a bit last year.

I kickstarted it. I played the intro video and realised I should at least replay Dreamfall before I play chapters. Probably Longest Journey as well. But I just haven't found the time or energy to get into them.

:madface: