Sign in to follow this  
nicholsonmatt

Dreamfall Chapters

Anyone here as excited as I am to play Dreamfall Chapters? The first part is out on October 21st. The season pass is 15% off right now on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/game/dreamfall_chapters_season_pass_special_edition

The Longest Journey was probably the best of the point-n-click adventure genre outside of the LucasArts games, IMHO. Yeah, of course it's notorious for the most obscure puzzle solutions in the history of the genre but it had so much lore to it that they really did make the world seem real. Dreamfall still had a good story despite being marred by a stupid and unnecessary combat system. I haven't been this excited about a game since the whole DFA/Broken Age saga began.

Anyone here as excited as I am to play Dreamfall Chapters?

Absolutely. That and Broken Age: Act 2 are easily the two games that I'm most looking forward to playing.

The first part is out on October 21st.

I think that I'm going to wait until the whole season is completed before buying. Waiting for the concluding part of Broken Age made for a very disjointed experience. Don't even get me started on the time it's taken for there to be any kind of progress on the continuation of Dreamfall's ending. I'm really not interested in doing the whole stop/start thing again, so I'll just be patient and wait for the whole experience this time.

The Longest Journey was probably the best of the point-n-click adventure genre outside of the LucasArts games, IMHO.

Agreed. Well, that and Gabriel Knight at any rate. Speaking of which...

...of course it's notorious for the most obscure puzzle solutions in the history of the genre...

The only two puzzles that stood out to me as being bad in The Longest Journey were the inflatable duck one and the one involving valves outside of April's home. Neither of which holds a candle to the cat mustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3, in terms of sheer awfulness.

Dreamfall still had a good story despite being marred by a stupid and unnecessary combat system.

Urgh... that combat system (if you can even call it that); don't remind me! Also, it would have been nice if Dreamfall has actually contained some puzzles! It was so puzzle-lite that in retrospect it feels like a prototype for the direction that Telltale's gone in. Still, it was totally worth playing just for the story alone.

To a certain extent I don't even care about puzzles when it comes to TLJ/Dreamfall anymore. I mean, we have one character stuck in between two worlds, another one in prison for heresy, and another stabbed and presumably at the bottom of a lake. It's like if I had to wait 8 years for Return of the Jedi. I just want to know what the heck happens next.

I quite like these games myself. I should really replay and finish them off sometime. (I remember being stuck in a stealth section in Dreamfall, and some puzzle in The Longest Journey)

I actually have the limited edition version of Dreamfall with the art book, soundtrack, and copy of The Longest Journey. It was pretty amazing to see the level of detail the team went into in making this game. You could see from the art that this was something they clearly cared about, and envisioned very largely. I remember looking at that art book often in awe.

Sure, Dreamfall may not have been the best designed game on the gameplay front, but I think it (and its predecessor) were truly games way ahead of their time. And I can wait for this new one either.

I just hope to god they haven't messed it up! :x

Thank God my adblock lets me block that avatar. I'm going completely epileptic here.

I care a whole lot about puzzles! Chapters won't have a plethora of them, but they're still in there... supposedly a notch above Dreamfall (2006), which isn't really that effing difficult.

Good news for Darth Marsden, by the way: Ellie Conrad-Leigh will NOT return to voice Zoë Castillo again. :(

If you have questions, go ahead.

I know everything about Chapters there is to know. ;) ;)

Will the stealth elements be stealthier and the action elements be actionier?

Will the stealth elements be stealthier and the action elements be actionier?

The stealth elements will be considerably less stealthy, bordering on the nonexistant.

The action elements are not entirely nonexistant. There will still be some timed sequences that can actually be failed. Just a little panic button though - nothing too telltaley/quicktimeeventey I guess.

Man, this game is super pretty. I love all the dialog and the dialog system. And all the detail, especially in Europolis. Though the clear sacrifice was in facial and body acting, the characters are all so wooden. I'm okay with it though, it's a beautiful game in all other respects.

I really like how they combine the Telltale choice based system (this character will remember that) with classic adventure game puzzles. I was hoping that Telltale would do that when The Walking Dead was being released when it seemed like they might be open to adapting that way (up to episode 5 at least, where they took puzzles completely out of the equation). While I don't mind the straight choice based games (I did really like The Wolf Among Us after all) I'm glad that someone is doing it.

Their engine isn't as fluid as Telltale's though. Using it is kind of a pain, as you have to get right up to objects before you can interact with them, and your cursor just snaps to them, which isn't pleasant and makes me dizzy.

And I agree, the character animation is quite wooden. The character models look nice though. The story and puzzles are quite fun too, and the voice acting and music is fantastic. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase so far.

I like the internal dialog too, it helps me think like they do and get a good sense of *how* they'll say what I choose. Plus it's just more things to know. The Longest Journey has always been great for lore density.

This is finally getting released? Wow. I really really enjoyed Dreamfall. Such a wonderful game. I was so looking forward to a sequel. But that was so long ago. I eventually gave up hope of anything ever getting made. At this point that I don't even remember much of what happened throughout the plot. But I'll have to check this out now that I know it's finally coming out.

I'm thinking about checking this out, but this would be my introduction to the series. Will I totally be out of place if I skip the earlier games and start straight into the Episodic series?

I'm thinking about checking this out, but this would be my introduction to the series. Will I totally be out of place if I skip the earlier games and start straight into the Episodic series?

You'll be missing out, for certain. If you're a fan of the point and click adventures like many other Double Fine fans, you really should play the original Longest Journey. It's really the game out of all of them that introduces you to the world(s) and the conflict. It's also astoundingly beautiful with painted backgrounds. The second one advances and complicates the conflict as well. They both suffer the problems of their time but I feel like they're necessary to play. Dreamfall Chapters alas wastes no time revisiting earlier events, there's no prologue and very little exposition on who the main characters are, where they are, or how they got there. It's very much a game made for those of us who have been waiting 8 years for the continuation of the story.

I promise you won't feel your time is wasted playing The Longest Journey and if you love the world and the lore like other fans do then you'll want to play the second game also.

I like the internal dialog too

Okay. Thanks. I'm out. This crap is what kills TV series (e.g. Dexter) for me already. I don't need this in games too.

This is a game about worlds and lore. If you're not into that then you shouldn't play it. I read every book in the Elder Scrolls games because I love the lore. The internal dialog is more content, more insight into the characters and how they think. So I see it as a positive and the more detail I can get, the better. This entire series is dense, it is not one for the impatient, for certain. They're not games you "play" or "beat" but rather explore and immerse yourself in.

It's also astoundingly beautiful with painted backgrounds.

The beaty gets dragged down a bunch by the models and missing Anti Aliasing though. (trying to force it lead to errors when I tried to play it) but it's easily one of the best games in the genre.

Like I said, both of the first two games suffer the problems of their time. Yeah 3D models over 2D backgrounds rarely worked right in any game back then.

Then Dreamfall was released at a time that no publisher would accept a story game without combat so it has a crappy tacked on combat system. But I still loved the game and was very glad to have played it.

I didn't play the first one until 2004 and so of course I noticed the problems but I'm not the sort of person that lets minor problems ruin a great experience. For sure though, I agree that The Longest Journey is one of the finest examples of the point and click adventure, it belongs in the pantheon if there were one. Every fan of the genre should play it, even today with our higher technical standards.

The beaty gets dragged down a bunch by the models and missing Anti Aliasing though. (trying to force it lead to errors when I tried to play it) but it's easily one of the best games in the genre.
That actually holds true for entire the series actually. None of them were the most technologically advanced games for their time, but the sum of their parts make them worth playing.

Dreamfall Chapters falls into this category too, it seems. I really liked Book One despite the sometimes bland locations early on and the lack of fluidity in the character's animations, since the story, voice acting, music, and the great combination of puzzles and choice based gameplay made up for what was lacking in some places in the presentation.

Though the animations of the baby were adorable, especially when she ran (not to mention the baby gibberish sounds that went along with it). :)

I'm really looking forward to jumping back into this universe and continuing the story from where Dreamfall left off but there's a few things that are bothering me here. I'd really appreciate it if somebody in the know could clarify some questions that I have about Dreamfall: Chapters...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread; I'm waiting for the whole game to be completed before playing. How many chapters are there left to come? The first is Book 1, right? So, the second will be Book 2 and so forth I presume? How many in total?

Also, is the funding from the Kickstarter enough to guarantee that all the remaining chapters will be released down the line or is there a risk that this will fizzle out mid-story?

There's going to be thirteen chapters released across five books.

I'm not sure about the latter, but now you have me curious. I'll see if I can look up Ragnar Tornquist's answers to the question (since I'm sure it's been raised on the Red Thread Games forum at some point).

EDIT: He stated that the team is confident that it can produce the entire project, it's just being broken into books to give the team more time to properly polish and bug fix each chapter, to make the final game more stable than he feels it would be if they released it at once.

There's going to be thirteen chapters released across five books.

I'm not sure about the latter, but now you have me curious. I'll see if I can look up Ragnar Tornquist's answers to the question (since I'm sure it's been raised on the Red Thread Games forum at some point).

EDIT: He stated that the team is confident that it can produce the entire project, it's just being broken into books to give the team more time to properly polish and bug fix each chapter, to make the final game more stable than he feels it would be if they released it at once.

Ah, okay. That sounds grand. Thanks for the info, Jenni.

You'll be considerably confused for some time at least. They are, however, trying hard to open additional story threads instead of just closing the eight year old ones. In the process, they have declared some central Dreamfall characters to have been red shirts all along, just to create new characters that players can get to know in Chapters, regardless of the formerly played games. The second half of Book 1 is a straight expositional "A day in the new life of..." narrative without that much reference to Dreamfall.

If you're jumping into Chapters, at least know the three and a half minute recap they released this week by heart. And good luck, it really is complex stuff. ;)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread; I'm waiting for the whole game to be completed before playing. How many chapters are there left to come? The first is Book 1, right? So, the second will be Book 2 and so forth I presume? How many in total?

Also, is the funding from the Kickstarter enough to guarantee that all the remaining chapters will be released down the line or is there a risk that this will fizzle out mid-story?

Four chapters to come, presumably finishing next year September/October. The risks are low. They're saying the money to finish the game is there, yet if sales are really bad, the planned content of Books could decrease beginning with Book 3 (they're too far along with 2 to cut that one down...).

I like the internal dialog too

Okay. Thanks. I'm out. This crap is what kills TV series (e.g. Dexter) for me already. I don't need this in games too.

Wait, wait, it's not that easy. Essentially, every comment an adventure game hero utters towards the player is internal dialog to a degree. But, yes, Chapters cranks it up considerably particularly during dialog choice. You don't really have to go with it, you don't really have to listen or read it. Inner dialog starts when you hover over a dialog option with the mouse. Don't hover, just click, and you won't really see much inner dialog (no idea how it works with a controller though). In some cases, the inner dialog has its value though.

Thankfully, Chapters also doesn't force me to go with the statistics nonsense. Quite opposed to Telltale, they're having a clear menu button that says ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY OFF, and you're not bothered with any kind of player percentage or "your Steam friends' choices" stuff.

As to the merits of the writing and the possible merits of the many sequences which are totally devoid of puzzle challenge, watch the giantbomb gameplay video if you're willing to bear heavy spoilers. But, mind you, it shows a sequence that may or may not emerge in Book 1 depending on a choice at the beginning of Book 1. In fact, you could miss these three characters (almost) completely if you choose another path.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dreamfall-chapters-book-one-reborn/2300-9595/

I can almost guarantee that Davies will love at least one of those characters.

Okay, I'll bite. I really don't want to spoil the experience by watching the whole video but you've piqued my interest. Care to give me a time stamp?

Okay, I'll bite. I really don't want to spoil the experience by watching the whole video but you've piqued my interest. Care to give me a time stamp?

9m18s to 14m30s, then continue from 18m54s until you think you've seen enough.

They're, uhm, losing the character in question for a moment and are showing off a lot of Europolis trying to find the guy again. . ;)

They're, uhm, losing the character in question for a moment and are showing off a lot of Europolis trying to find the guy again. . ;)

Thanks for the time stamps. He's an alight character I suppose; amusing enough. However, I don't like the name (I think that 'Crap-Bot' would have been better - it's intrinsically funnier and it also happens to rhyme with 'crack pot'). 'S**t' is just too on the nose for my liking.

But yeah, I like the character and perhaps after getting to know him a bit better, I may end up loving him. Having said that, I'll never love him so much as to have him replace that special place in my heart that's reserved for Crow!

#CrowAppreciationSociety

Thanks for the time stamps. He's an alight character I suppose; amusing enough. However, I don't like the name (I think that 'Crap-Bot' would have been better - it's intrinsically funnier and it also happens to rhyme with 'crack pot'). 'S**t' is just too on the nose for my liking.

But yeah, I like the character and perhaps after getting to know him a bit better, I may end up loving him. Having said that, I'll never love him so much as to have him replace that special place in my heart that's reserved for Crow!

#CrowAppreciationSociety

His name makes a lot more sense in the context of the story. I really doubt the woman who named him would ever use the word crap. :P

I'm not sure whether I like him or the bot you meet on the other path better. Their personalities are miles apart, but they're both fun. :)

'S**t' is just too on the nose for my liking.

Okay, maybe you should watch the first 10 minutes as well... ;)

#CrowAppreciationSociety

You won't get your fill with Book 1, I'm afraid. However, Crow is of course inevitable.

His name makes a lot more sense in the context of the story. I really doubt the woman who named him would ever use the word crap. :P
Okay, maybe you should watch the first 10 minutes as well... ;)

Just to clarify; I don't want to come across as though I didn't like the character from what little I saw of him because I absolutely did. I was just nitpicking at what seemed to be a slightly unnecessary bit of swearing. However, like you both say; I'm missing the context here, so yeah...

Basically, s**ty and unnecessary f**king swearing does my c**ting nut in.

... Oh, f**k!

You won't get your fill with Book 1, I'm afraid. However, Crow is of course inevitable.

Oh boy, oh boy. My favourite talking bird in the whole wide world, let me count the ways...

...Don't let Cockerel hear me say that!

Basically, s**ty and unnecessary f**king swearing does my c**ting nut in.

Basically, you won't like the character who named S-bot, then. Of course, if you make exceptions, like for Burns Flipper for example... ;)

I think that my issue with the name 'Shit-Bot' has a lot less to do with the use of a swear word in of itself and a lot more to do with the crudeness of its humour. I'm sure that it fits the nature of said robot's creator to call it that but to me, it just feels like it's not maximising its full comedic potential.

Shit-Bot's creator lacks wit, I get that but I'm not sure why I'm supposed to laugh at a witless joke. Comedy is all about the careful selection of wording. I think that there may have been a way to keep the naming in sync with the crudeness of the robot's creator, whilst being slightly more witty with it (and therefore ultimately, funnier).

I'm thinking that 'Shitty-Bot-3000' would have been a far funnier name, for example.

Either way, I know that I'm being pedantic. I'm just interested in how slight changes to wording can make all the difference when crafting a good gag. It's fascinating to me (as a person and as a wannabe comedy writer).

...if you make exceptions, like for Burns Flipper for example... ;)

Burnsy is a fantastic character. I always noticed whilst playing The Longest Journey, that the character's dialogue rarely matched up with the subtitles. I'm guessing that the actor who portrayed Burns Flipper is a naturally funny guy and was improvising and riffing off of the script an awful lot. Good for him, if that's the case. It paid dividends.