Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FearMonkey

IGN’s Impressions of Grim Fandango HD Remaster

IGN: Grim Fandango on PS4 is Pretty Much the Best Thing Ever

You have the ability to toggle back and forth between how the game originally looked, and how it looks now, and holy moly the difference is night and day. Thanks to the new lighting, shaders, and other technical enhancements that flew way over my head, Manny and company now look incredible. Their in-game models appear to be nearly identical to their cut-scene counterparts, which is great. The game is still presented in 4:3, but you have the ability to stretch it to widescreen (for the love of everything good, please don't do this). The borders are black right now, but I was told that the developers are toying with some ideas for what could stand on the two sides of the screen.
The final big change I stumbled across was the awesome inclusion of nodes scattered throughout the world that contain small snippets of commentary from Tim Schafer, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell, and a ton of other folks who helped make the game so special back in 1998.

Sounds awesome. 2015 so far away. :(

P.S. Are we going to get a Grim Fandango HD Remaster section on the forums any time soon? :P

News = hurrah!

No screenshots = boo!

Sounds good, though. Although I hope the game looks BETTER than the cutscenes. Plus, I hope tank controls are still and option.

I don't see the need for the gimmicky ability to switch between old and new modes, (assuming it's like the Monkey Island SEs, and does it real time). Sure it looks nice in reviews, but really how often are you going to do it while playing? It only serves to pull you out of the story, instead of engaging with it. A bit like if the Casablanca bluray allowed you to switch between the before and after remastering. Sure, it's interesting for die-hards, but nobody wants to watch the movie switching between modes.

Wowee, sounds like they're further along than I thought if they're already adding in special features and stuff.

Re: old mode, I know when I've played a remaster of a game where I didn't play the original I've sometimes been curious about how things looked in the old version, so there's that. Also I do think there's something to be said to keeping a version of the game in as close to the original state as possible. The Casablanca BluRay analogy isn't bad, but it only goes so far. Here they're actually making improvements to the assets, which would be a bit like if they could reach into the sets of Casablanca and improve the lighting and makeup and camerawork and fix continuity errors. It might produce a better effect, and be faithful to the original vision, but I'd still want something without those changes.

Sure it looks nice in reviews, but really how often are you going to do it while playing?
I actually flipped between the old and new in every scene in the Monkey Island special editions when I first played them. Granted, I don't anymore, as I just either play through with the special edition graphics or play through the classic versions with voices through ScummVM.

Still, I really appreciate that the option is there.

Polygon has an article up too, now.

"Purists who prefer the game's tank-style controls will have the option to play that way, but analog will be the default."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/10/6960243/grim-fandango-remastered-ps4-pc

From that article:

Thanks to developer Double Fine's efforts and some smart people at Disney and LucasArts — people who can make things happen — players will get the opportunity to play Tim Schafer's classic noir adventure game, now lovingly overhauled.

Yeah, I believe it was Adam Boyes from Sony who got the ball rolling on the whole thing. Thanks for mentioning that, Polygon. :P

I actually flipped between the old and new in every scene in the Monkey Island special editions when I first played them. Granted, I don't anymore, as I just either play through with the special edition graphics or play through the classic versions with voices through ScummVM.

Still, I really appreciate that the option is there.

I just mean it pulls you out of the story and the game. Yes, it's interesting, but when you do it you're no longer engaging with the story or the characters, you're analyzing the game engine. And, as you say, it's something you'll only ever do once. To me it's a gimmick in every sense of the word. In my mind it would work better as a special feature, like commentary mode. But hey ho, I just hope the ability to switch fluidly between versions (assuming that's what is being described) doesn't take too much development time!

Anyways, enough of my moaning. I'm still super happy about the whole thing! So looking forword to finally seeing a screenshot!

EDIT:

I eat my words...

Grim Fandango's pre-rendered backgrounds have been uprezzed and textures for real-time 3D models have been wholly recreated. Players can switch between the game's old 3D models and its new ones with a tap of the DualShock 4's touchpad — the difference in resolution and quality is pretty striking.

Ah, I can't deny it. It does sound cool in the description :) I can't wait!

Grim Fandango's pre-rendered backgrounds have been uprezzed and textures for real-time 3D models have been wholly recreated. Players can switch between the game's old 3D models and its new ones with a tap of the DualShock 4's touchpad — the difference in resolution and quality is pretty striking.

They are uprezzing all the background too?

This almost sounds too good to be true..

I imagine what is meant by that is that they're retouching them so that they look good in a higher resolution. But if they've been able to find higher quality renders of the scenes or even the source files that can be re-rendered, that'd be quite a coup.

I imagine what is meant by that is that they're retouching them so that they look good in a higher resolution. But if they've been able to find higher quality renders of the scenes or even the source files that can be re-rendered, that'd be quite a coup.
They did say that they were able to find CDs of old assets (which are now on a single drive) in the LucasArts archives. It's quite possible the original art assets were there too.

Grim Fandango Remastered also adds a new modern analog control scheme.

This is something I don't quite get. Both articles talk about using the fan-made mouse control mod... What use could that be on the PS4? And really, as Tim has already pointed out in one of his interviews, you *need* the tank controls if you're using a controller. The game was designed to allow you to push "forward" and for Manny to automatically make his way through scenes. This allows for lots of the game's interesting camera angles.

I guess they journalists are seeing a really early demo, and haven't quite understood what was told to them? Or have they managed to create a whole new control scheme??

Sign in to follow this