Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 21: 10/16/14

A bunch has actually happened since this episode wrapped. Most importantly, TIM FINISHED WRITING ACT 2 AND THE FINALE! Also that pesky design issue that appears to terrify the team in this episode has been sorted. We now have a super clear and detailed picture of how the rest of the game looks. This is a huge milestone for the project and means we are able to push forward with a lot of things that were waiting on those details to be locked in place.

For instance, with the cutscenes now written, Peter was able to write a bunch of new music including a piece for the finale of the game! This was recorded just this week with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, alongside the new live versions of Grim Fandango’s score for our upcoming remaster.

mirAqDB.jpg

It also meant we were able to get back in the studio to start recording the remainder of the voiceover work for the rest of the game. Tim actually was down in LA just this week for that very reason. There will still be another session to cover any new lines needed to address playtesting feedback, but this session covers the last major chunk of dialog. It was great to get back together with Khris Brown and all our amazing voice actor friends.

ZlT3FRV.jpg

As for the rest of the team, the majority of folks are currently focused on the final sprint of taking Vella’s half of Act 2 to Alpha. After that, we’ve just got the finale left and then the entire game will be at Alpha!

Well, in actuality the game will be a bit further than that, and many parts already are! The nice thing about working with our friends at SuperGenius is that it has allowed us to parallelize a lot of Act 2 production. So while the core team at Double Fine is still working on taking things towards Alpha, Supergenius and our audio team are actually running with Beta work on much of Shay’s half of Act 2, which as you saw in the episode is playtesting reaaaallllly well.

The topic of a ship date is still one that’s ongoing at the studio, but now that we have the final writing we’re able to put together a much clearer plan for the remainder of development and are in the process of doing so. Until then, everyone is hammering away on the game and working to get it in your hands as soon as possible. Ultimately we’re going to give the game the time it needs to be something truly special, and we really appreciate your patience while we do so.

So yeah, a lot of stuff has happened since we last talked and the game is really shaping up. We’re confident we will be able to deliver something that falls in line with Tim’s original vision for the game and hopefully will be really satisfying to you the backer. It’s looking like it will be longer than Act 1, continue to build in puzzle complexity from where we left off, and most importantly will wrap up the story in a meaningful and satisfying way. Suffice to say, WE’RE REALLY EXCITED!

For some reason I just get a blank page when clicking the Read on the Site hyperlink. I checked previous episodes and I'm not having this problem. Are other people having this issue too?

For some reason I just get a blank page when clicking the Read on the Site hyperlink. I checked previous episodes and I'm not having this problem. Are other people having this issue too?

I'm having the same problem

The vimeo links don't work from the emails and they never have, I think? You either have to watch it here or from the kickstarter update page.

Anyway thanks for the update Greg! It seems like this half is going smoother than the last.

Hey Greg! Thanks for the update. We've waited almost 3 years don't worry about December, just finish off the game and make it the best it can be.. A few more months polishing will give the game the best chance of success over the long run. Thanks for all your hard work on the game! You've come off really well in the documentary!

Awesome stuff, Greg! Thanks for the update and it's great to hear that these milestones have been reached!

I watch these videos and it makes me to so sad to see all the hostility in these forums. I wish they'd lay down the law a bit more.

Anyways, can't wait for it to be finished, but at the same time January isn't going to ruin my year. Or even Feb. Just make a great game, guys!

Cool Episode :) ... i'm really looking forward to play Act II :)!

Thanks for an awesome game!

My excitement for the game was dropping lately. Some of that was from not hearing much, some of it was from lots of other great games hitting between act one and now. But now I am really energized again. Well done 2PP.

Hey Greg! Thanks for the update. We've waited almost 3 years don't worry about December, just finish off the game and make it the best it can be.. A few more months polishing will give the game the best chance of success over the long run. Thanks for all your hard work on the game! You've come off really well in the documentary!

Agreed. Although the idea that Broken Age turns into a timely Christmas present from Double Fine is really appealing, I would feel SO bad if this came at the cost of massively cutting into the whole team's free time and negatively affecting their health situation just to deliver in time. If push comes to shove, please think of your own health and of quality family time first and just delay the release. Please don't put the game before your own health! (Please, Tim!)

When will the documentary or parts of it be open to the public? I see lot's of people who have a negative opinion of DF and Tim because of the delays on Broken Age. I feel like if other people could see the documentary they would understand that double fine is a business and it has other obligations that slow down the shipment of broken age. As a backer, I couldn't be happier with the process. The video's are great, part one was great, the experience has been worth way more than my $15. I personally think Tim is a badass for doing something no other company is doing.

When will the documentary or parts of it be open to the public?

It's already available. You can see a preview and buy it here: http://adventure.doublefine.com/

It's also sold together with the game and separately here: http://www.brokenagegame.com/buy/

I wouldn't put it past 2PP to get it on GOG as well at some point in the future, now that GOG has started to sell movies.

Will there be a xmas documentary update for 80k backers please ?

Sign in to follow this