Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 17: A Deadline for Tim

I too am getting the "Sorry Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here" message on the videos.

I'm in the US (Arizona) so I doubt it is a regional issue. I've tried both Chrome and Firefox. I've discovered that older backer-videos from the forums that have played fine for me in the past no longer work. I've tried this both signed in and logged out of my Vimeo account.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem, I just clicked on the text that read "Video not showing up or not playing? Click here to try the other player." directly below the box where the affected embedded video was located.

whoawhoawhoa, is Greg wearing a The Locust shirt @16:47?!?!?!?
Wait, what is that?! I got that shirt at a thrift store and people are always asking me what it is, but I have no idea!!

They are a hardcore punk...erm...thrash...erm...metal...uuum...'somewhere in between there' band from your neck of the woods!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Locust

Fast-driving-music. :D

awww man, I got super excited too and came here to ask the same haha. the art is from plague soundscapes and they're a very fast pace/aggressive punk/noise band

http://criticalmassesmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/plague-soundscapes.jpg

- awesome update nonetheless. I've been dying for some new information for the past couple of months. also just got an ipad and rebought the ipad version which is fantastic ;)

Great episode. Thanks for the update. :)

Also, I know the problem was figured out already and I don't know the context of the problem and don't want to because spoilers, but I'm really curious to find out why there was a problem with Shay and Vella's quest structures crossing over each other. Day of the Tentacle had a similar thing where a character in one timeline would need something from another timeline and if the person in one timeline didn't have it and you didn't know you needed it, then you could get stuck pretty easily. Not sure why you couldn't just leave it open-ended so that you can always go back and forth. Unless you're talking about getting Vella to the end critical point and then when that happens you can't switch back. Then to me the obvious solution is to not let Vella get to that critical point until Shay gets to a certain part of the story. Dunno. *shrug*

Hopefully after the game is out you can do a sidequest fully explaining the issues you had and the solutions you employed. Would be very interesting to hear the whole story on that one. :)

I never noticed that shirt on you Greg! Plague Soundscapes is one of my favorite albums to listen to while working.. It's some good relaxing tunes to keep the energy mellow and light.

I too am getting the "Sorry Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here" message on the videos. ...snip ...

I had the same problem, I just clicked on the text that read "Video not showing up or not playing? Click here to try the other player." directly below the box where the affected embedded video was located.

@desanite, thanks for your suggestion! I didn't even note that link before.

Unfortunately, when I try it, all that happens is the background alternates between black and a picture of some trees with a door. Still no videos.

I'm open for other suggestions?

Clearly they're just going to split the game again. Act 3 coming 2015!

I kid; it's impressive how much effort you guys are putting into this.

It's almost disturbing how closely Tim's deadline troubles parallel my own thesis-writing problems. Except that he's apparently finished now, which I am of course deeply jealous of inspired by. Great episode as usual!

I thought exactly the same thing! Writing is hard, folks..... You might like to think you can sit for hours and hours and just crank it out, but that just doesn't happen 100% of the time.

You mean "100% of the time that doesn't happen", right?

Anyway, I finished my thesis a couple of months ago so I'm way ahead of you, Tim ;) ... But I definitely can relate.

Awesome to see an update, I was really hoping to see Tim walk around using his spleen on a stick as a puppet. (as he was tweeting for him)

The Middle of development "funk" that is being addressed in the start of the video (as normal) seems to be the same as Team Meat is experiencing in "Indie Game the movie". (Just a theory: The initial adrenaline and endorphins petering out, combined with the pressure of a deadline.)

Question time: (Right?)

- Do you get any data on how many people actually use the translations of your games?(or is this just a setting change that isn't tracked?)

- What are the plans regarding the MOAI/Lua tools you are developing? I know/heard you've sent over MOAI code fixes, so I'm wondering more about the GUI stuff. ex. the 2 Headed Baby dialog program Anna was using in the second video or is that a different in house thing?

- When DFA is over will you try the same thing again? (Sell a game on the genre alone and (this time) streaming or podcasting the development more freely.)

Have you tried a different browser or incognito mode in a browser such as Chrome will disable most or all extension old cookies will be disregarded, you'll just have to login again.) (I get the same issue like 1/20 times but I just refresh the browser tab.)

I'm really hoping they hit this December deadline. I understand if they don't... but selfish me is "The best birthday month in forever!"

I can just see it... "CHIKARA wrestling season finale. Then a week or two later Broken Age. Then mysteries and surprises!"

But hey if it turns into "What a great way to start the new year" then it does.

All, much thanks!

The "Sorry Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here” problem doesn't show up in Incognito Mode (once I figured out how to do that. In Chrome: Hamburger Button > New incognito window).

Greatly appreciate the help, thanks again!

Thanks as always. Keep up the great work. And, as always, fun pills and sleds for everyone!

Smiles

Hooray new episode! This one was awesome you guys :D! Haven't listened to Lifeform in forever, and I love the random shot of Ray and his lolli.

EDIT: watching the episode again. What flavour is that blue candy? HMMMMMmmm

this update rocks! And i have learned so much from this update.

Even though you can't rush creativity, it is only on the brink, that brilliance and awesome occurs.

Great job Double Fine. I know opinions vary, but I'm so excited to hear that Act II will be longer and more difficult!

We waited 3 months for a 30 minute episode? What a jip!

Woe is me, I paid 15 dollars for a full adventure game, a (so far) 16 episode in-depth documentary series on the making of the adventure game, a huge number of in-depth posts to the forums about the making of the game, and regular updates about the production status. Come on, this is by far the best value for 15 dollars I've *ever* spent on *anything*. I hope the doublefine people reading the forums don't get upset when they see comments like this.

Still enchanting every time that intro sequence and music rolls out. Having been along for the ride for a couple of years now following what you've been through, still excited to see what you're cranking out despite all of the difficulties of managing a mid-sized studio in San Fransico. Much appreciation! As an aspiring creative person, your resolve and hard work even through the turbulent times inspires me.

And as always, appreciate the way you cut the videos to avoid spoilers while still capturing interesting discussions. Looking forward to Act II, and probably see you all again at Day of the Devs!

Woe is me, I paid 15 dollars for a full adventure game, a (so far) 16 episode in-depth documentary series on the making of the adventure game, a huge number of in-depth posts to the forums about the making of the game, and regular updates about the production status. Come on, this is by far the best value for 15 dollars I've *ever* spent on *anything*. I hope the doublefine people reading the forums don't get upset when they see comments like this.

Agreed, thanks.

For those having trouble with videos: Privacy Badger was the culprit in my case. vimeo.com and www .vimeo.com need to be allowed (yellow) and video.vimeo.com unrestricted (green). I don't know what livepassdl.conviva.com is, I haven't noticed any downsides to blocking it.

Incognito mode allows you to watch the video since all extensions are deactivated by default.

Well hang on, I spent $110 for a game that was meant to be released October 2012, and it is now October 2014 and the game is still far from complete. I don't think you can just dismiss backers who have concerns about this..

Great episode. It created a great feeling about the game, while still showing of the complexity of the project. It's been a while since I played through Act 1, watching this episode reminded me about a lot of stuff I loved about that.

If I have to be THAT guy about something, then I must ask Greg or 2PP about what the point of showing the comment about difficulty level in the end, after the credits, was about, when we just have had an episode about the team discussing how satisfied they were with the more complex puzzles?

@the team: Keep up the good work! Really enjoyed Act 1 and I'm looking forward to Act 2. December or January doesn't matter for me, just do the best game you can :).

I really like the idea of the puzzles interweaving between Vella and Shay, and I hope they don't have to comprimise on that. They were struggling over how to communicate it to the player when they hit a wall, but surely just popup or some loading screen text saying 'if you get stuck try the other character' would do the job?

Well hang on, I spent $110 for a game that was meant to be released October 2012, and it is now October 2014 and the game is still far from complete. I don't think you can just dismiss backers who have concerns about this..

Wow, may I remind you that the Kickstarter was in March 2012? And you expected the kind of game we got to be made in seven months? I don't even ... I mean ... WHAT?!

Wow, may I remind you that the Kickstarter was in March 2012? And you expected the kind of game we got to be made in seven months? I don't even ... I mean ... WHAT?!

Yeah, they were clear from the start that that October estimate went out the window as soon as they got the much bigger budget. Also the game is not "far from complete." Act 1 is 100% complete and act 2 is mostly complete, some of it close to alpha, and some of it already in beta.

I really like the idea of the puzzles interweaving between Vella and Shay, and I hope they don't have to comprimise on that. They were struggling over how to communicate it to the player when they hit a wall, but surely just popup or some loading screen text saying 'if you get stuck try the other character' would do the job?
As far as I know, they did solve this problem. I myself was thinking of suggesting an idea along the lines of, "I need to rest for awhile" and then switch to the other character once all that could be done on one characters path for the moment was done. I did see that they didn't want to force changes until the whole path was done though, so that might be out. Myself I am okay with puzzles that one character can't do until the other does something else, as that really connects them. Day of the Tentacle did that (lots of puzzles require help from another characters chain) and although it really amps up the difficulty, was pretty cool. If this game had some hints that you needed something from the other character so you'd go over to them rather than head bang against wall, it would manage to be somewhere in the middle. (I did think act 1 was way too easy, but DoT and Monkey 2 are pushing a bit the other way.)

Sign in to follow this