Sign in to follow this  
geoffpaulsen

Discussion about puzzle issue from 2 Player Production Episode 17

2 Player Productions posted Episode 17 on Kickstarter Update October 16th. In that video, the team discusses a play through issue where a player might play as the boy or the girl all the way through to the end, but in doing so, they might miss (or not “learn”) the solution to something needed by the other character.

I’m not sure if Tim and team have solved this yet, so I thought I’d start a forum topic to discuss the community’s ideas for getting out of this.

My idea… This reminds me of good old Maniac Mansion’s basement jail cell, where a character would go if they got ‘caught’. There was a non-trivial way to get back to the rest of the game if 2 of the 3 characters were there. So in DFA, perhaps if character A gets all the way to this limbo state, without the player learning something, then it’d be possible for character B to go to either that same limbo state area to release character A, or get to an equivalent limbo area (with some story element linking limbo areas) to release character A, so that the player can learn what they need.

Greg mentions in the written update that a solution had already been agreed on, "A bunch has actually happened since this episode wrapped. Most importantly, TIM FINISHED WRITING ACT 2 AND THE FINALE! Also that pesky design issue that appears to terrify the team in this episode has been sorted."

I'd still love to brainstorm, but I don't think I have enough details to contribute anything interesting.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I missed that... (it's a lot to read) ;)

Perhaps Tim's next adventure will can be completely crowd sourced in a way that we each just work on a small portion of the game. :) that'd be amazing!

I'd still love to brainstorm, but I don't think I have enough details to contribute anything interesting.

You, sir, lack imagination! :P

We actually know the limbo state they are describing because you hit the same state in Act 1... extrapolating based on their comments it seems like they are relying on information "gained" by one character to be "used" by the other character... that seems like bad "writing"... imagine if you were watching a movie and Joe was depicted shooting a zombie in the knee and it exploding before being overwhelmed by zombies and eaten... and then later a bunch of characters are discussing the fact that Joe had discovered the zombie's weakness... we know this information as the audience but the characters shouldn't.

What I'm saying is that I can only assume that they solved the problem by figuring out a way to prevent it from having happened in the first place, like, having a scene where information is shared between the two characters (depending on who get's to the moment first you would have a variation on the puzzle to figure out how to find and communicate the information or figure out how to request the information)... see, wild speculation is easy dude!

The original problem seemed to be that solving a puzzle in one world was contingent upon looking at something in the other world, but not the other way around. What they probably did to solve it was to make a mutual contingency.

What I mean is something like this : For Shay to get into a secret room, he needs to match a pattern which is found on the spaceship. Vella is in the spaceship, so the player can bring her to a room with the pattern and use that knowledge to help Shay. Since nothing in Vella's story was contingent upon Shay, the player could just finish her world up and then forget about the pattern before encountering the secret room with Shay.

The solution is to make it so that Vella now cannot progress past a certain point unless Shay does something in his world, something he cannot do until he matches the pattern and gets into the secret room (e.g. in the secret room is a button that opens a door in the spaceship, allowing Vella to progress). This means that the player cannot beat Vella's world and lock themselves out of seeing the pattern before Shay encounters the pattern puzzle.

All works out, and it even makes the game more complex. Yay!

Any reason why the 1080p file for Episode 17 is an MOV file and not an MP4 like all the others?

"Discussion about puzzle issue from 2 Player Production Episode 17"

Any reason why the 1080p file for Episode 17 is an MOV file and not an MP4 like all the others?

While this might be an issue for you and it might also puzzle you and it is admittedly about Episode 17, it is still off-topic.

"Discussion about puzzle issue from 2 Player Production Episode 17"

While this might be an issue for you and it might also puzzle you and it is admittedly about Episode 17, it is still off-topic.

1. His question was answered (it was a discussion but it was pointed out that the issue at hand has been solved) 2. Who shaved and made you beard king?

Sign in to follow this