Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

MASSIVE CHALICE Update #53 - Premium Backer Beta Goes Live on 10/21/14, Teamstream Tuesday, Drunk Caberjacks!

Hey MASSIVE CHALICE backers!

Premium Backer Beta Coming Your Way Tuesday!

The beta release of any game is a big deal and ours is just a few days away! This Tuesday, October 21st our $50+ backers will be receiving Steam keys for the MASSIVE CHALICE Premium Backer Beta! This will be the first time that you, the people that supported us from the very beginning, will be playing MASSIVE CHALICE from the comfort of your own gaming rig! :D!

Receiving Your Steam Key

On Tuesday you will receive an email from our friends at Humble Bundle with a link to your personal Humble Bundle page. You’ll be able to get your Steam key there as well as future digital backer rewards as they become available. Oh and if Tuesday comes and goes with no sign of your email and you’re positive that you backed at the $50 tier or higher (Slacker Backers included!) then make sure to contact Humble support here: https://support.humblebundle.com

Report Bugs and Provide Feedback!

This is a true beta build and there are a lot of bugs and imbalanced things running around in there! We’d love to have your help destroying these bugs and tuning the balance of the game. The MASSIVE CHALICE Steam Community page and forums won’t be live during this beta period. This is a secret time just for you guys. :D!

We’ll be collecting bugs exclusively through the MASSIVE CHALICE forums here (massivechalice.com/forums). If you don’t have an account on our forums then please head over and set one up! It only takes a minute. Once logged into the forums you’ll have a chance to talk about the game with other MASSIVE CHALICE backers, report bugs, and interact with the team directly. We’re really looking forward to your help in making MASSIVE CHALICE a better game for everyone! :D!

Teamstream #28 Tuesday!

Come join us at 4PM Pacific (23:00 UTC) Tuesday, October 21st at http://twitch.tv/doublefine! We’ll be celebrating with all you guys by livestreaming the Premium Backer Beta! We can’t wait to show you the state of the game but we really want to hear about YOUR playthroughs! Oh and speaking of your playthroughs...

Streaming Policy

A lot of people have been asking us if they’ll be able to stream the game. ABSOLUTELY! One of the best things about developing MASSIVE CHALICE has been sharing the development of the game with you guys on Twitch. We want that to continue! So please stream away and share some of your favorite moments with the community!

Extra Life

One special way to share MASSIVE CHALICE is through Extra Life (http://www.extra-life.org/). If you haven’t heard about Extra Life it’s an amazing charity drive that raises money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Tons of gamers and organizations are going to be streaming games for 24 hours next weekend on Saturday October 25th! You can join in by streaming and raising money or just by donating to any number of people that are running a stream. Please head over and sign up (https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=register.start&eventID=520) and stream some MASSIVE CHALICE to help out! :D!

State of the Game

The beta is just about ready to get in your guys’ hands! The team has been firing on all cylinders and we’re super stoked to get your feedback! Here’s just a quick reminder that the MASSIVE CHALICE FORUMS are going to be the primary method of collecting feedback about the game, so head on over to create an account if you don’t already have one.

Caberjack Armor Upgrades!

We have linear upgrades for each class’s human armor that are available as you progress through the game. Geoff’s been creating full new suits of armor for each class. The Caberjack was first on the list. Here’s a preview of what the armor upgrades look like in-game! :D!

CaberjackArmor_updated.gif

VO hookups!

I spent last week hooking up a ton of VO! The entire game makes a lot more sense when the Chalice is explaining things to you. The samples that we shared last time were a bit more flavorful, so here’s one that’s really mechanical and helpful. This scene plays out the first time you spot one of the vicious Wrinklers! :D!

http://massivechalice.com/assets/downloads/update53/WrinklerIntro.wav

Age Buffs

Early on in the project we decided that we’d cut a hero’s life into 3 distinct chunks: Young, Prime, and Old. We’ve had various bonuses and penalties for the 3 phases implemented for a long time but we just realized that we do a pretty poor job of conveying it to players! Chad took it upon himself to convert these under-the-hood bonuses into explicit buffs that get added to a hero’s character sheet.

AgeBuffs.PNG

Here’s a small chart of what the bonuses/penalties are for age! These are still being tweaked, but we wanted them to be as dramatic as possible so that you really feel it when one of your heroes crosses a threshold to the next phase of their life!

AgeBuffTable.PNG

One of the benefits of breaking out primary stats for each class is that we can mess with how effective each class is at each phase of life. It made a lot of logical sense to us that Young heroes would have high Dexterity, Prime heroes would have high Strength, and Old heroes would have high Intelligence. Giving the 3 core stats different curves like this make the game a lot more interesting!

Drunkenness

Chad is really going the extra mile and implementing some crazy traits! My favorite one by far is called “Reveler.” Heroes that are really into imbibing are marked with this Personality, and it has various effects when you launch into a tactical battle.

If you choose to deploy a Reveler into a tactical battle they’ll start the fight with one of the following buffs:

• “Hangover” - reduces movement Speed, HP, and Evasion.

• “On the wagon” - increases Resistance.

• “Drunk” - reduces Dexterity, Intelligence, and Sight, but actually increasing Strength! Caberjacks don’t mind hitting the sauce. :D!

Chad also put in some crazy pathfinding for these intoxicated heroes as they do their best to defend the Nation while tipsy! :D!

DrunkRun_updated.gif

Region Destruction FX

Panya’s been jamming FX into the game at an alarming rate! One of the coolest effects that he’s done is for REGION COLLAPSING! If one of your regions receives its third corruption strike you’ll be treated to a super sad, gassy destruction of 10% of the Nation!

RegionCollapse_updated.gif

Backer Beta Final Punchlist

Brad played the game for about 8 hours last Saturday and made a huge list of tasks. We prioritized them and have been chewing through them all week long! It looks like we’re going to get to most of the high pri items before we ship the PREMIUM BACKER BETA out on the 21st! :D!

BackerBetaPunchlist.PNG

The Indie Box!

The Indie Box, a rad subscription service that ships custom boxes for indie games right to your door, is running a special promotion featuring Brütal Legend! Quite a few members of the MASSIVE CHALICE team put in a lot of years on that fine heavy metal video game, so if you still haven’t played it this is a great way to check it out at https://theindiebox.com/brutal/! :D!

brutal-legend-promo-page.jpg

Back This! Human Resources

Our friends at Uber Entertainment in Seattle launched a Kickstarter a little while ago for their new apocalyptic RTS Human Resources! As a huge fan of Command & Conquer I’m incredibly stoked that they’re using the Planetary Annihilation engine to make an RTS with a bunch of crazy units where tiny people are the resources. You should really check out this “Cthulhu vs. Skynet” inspired strategy game from a bunch of super talented industry vets! :D!

HumanResources.jpg

I mean, did you see the part where the giant monster picks up the building and smashes it into the robot’s dumb face??? :D!

HumanResourcesSmash.gif

Thanks so much for backing and see you Tuesday!

- Anthony

Chad's work on traits is quickly becoming a highlight of these updates for me. Long live developer-designers! And pity the hero that goes into battle drunk and wakes up the next morning with a hangover and aged a decade by a wrinkler...

That Human Resources game looks nuts. While we're talking about epic strategy Kickstarters, I'd also like to note that That Which Sleeps, a game in which you play as an ancient evil force plotting in the shadows of the world, is nearing its end. It's already reached its goal (and many stretch goals), but there's still time to join the bandwagon.

Oh and please if possible without too much time investment could you show the other Armors in a .gif as well?

we will probably be able to see them ingame soon but i would really like to see this close up comparison on the other armors :)

WOOOOH, TOMORROW. Too bad I think I am too busy this entire week until the weekend to play. Doh.

Smiles

oh damn another question when on the day will the download be available ?

since we live in different timezones (germany here) it would be cool to plan ahead (or i will sit around refreshing the site all the time :P) the time difference is just so big to america .

just an rough estimate would be fine i can convert the time myself :)

since we live in different timezones (germany here) it would be cool to plan ahead (or i will sit around refreshing the site all the time :P) the time difference is just so big to america .

I think the plan was to release the beta in the USA Pacific morning (I think that is -7 UTC), so when the team stream happens in the USA Pacific afternoon, they can get some impressions from people -- at least, this is what I think I remember!

Smiles

I think the plan was to release the beta in the USA Pacific morning (I think that is -7 UTC), so when the team stream happens in the USA Pacific afternoon, they can get some impressions from people -- at least, this is what I think I remember!

Smiles

thanks for the heads up :) if thats the case i will be able to play it right after work, sweet :D

We're targeting 10am Pacific tomorrow for the codes to go out! :D!

But the internet can get clogged sometimes so please be patient as the codes go out! :D!!!

@tthompson243 - We'll never show the end of the game on the stream! Promise! :D!

But other than that the game is not super spoiler-able? I guess the random event outcomes are some of the other things that can be spoiled. Do you want us to just quickly avoid those?

I'm open to suggestions! :D!

We're targeting 10am Pacific tomorrow for the codes to go out! :D!

But the internet can get clogged sometimes so please be patient as the codes go out! :D!!!

I just noticed that if you 'Claim Past Purchases' on your Humble Library, you will find Massive Chalice there. Any chance those of us with a keen eye might see it before 10am?

@Geek95 - I don't think you will! Humble is a well-oiled machine of efficiency. If you try to get your keys early they will come after you and your family.

(ok that last part probably isn't true)

:D!

I'm super excited for some MC BETA!

I'm super not excited to have a 10 hour day tomorrow before I can play it :(

I may not sleep tomorrow.

ALSO

Do we have a posting that I missed in my absence of PC specs? I'm currently in the process of moving and don't have my gaming rig setup, so I'm hoping it'll run on my laptop (Which may just kill my work productivity. Such are the casualties of war when fighting the Cadence!)

I know in the team stream you mentioned that we had to have higher end rigs, but is there any chance to talk a little bit about how high end? Like any decent desktop can handle it or a real gaming rig to be able to handle it?

I know in the team stream you mentioned that we had to have higher end rigs, but is there any chance to talk a little bit about how high end? Like any decent desktop can handle it or a real gaming rig to be able to handle it?

Their mention of higher rigs was for the beta, since not everything is optimized yet I think. When the final version is released, it sounds like you if you have a decent desktop or laptop, and most should be able to run it pretty easily.

But we'll learn more in a few hours probably!

Smiles

Regarding the corruption strikes, once a territory is gone, it's gone for good? Is there any way of winning it back, or at least trying to get rid of a strike before you get three? It could make for an interesting random event: Do you lead an attack to try to decrease the corruption, or save your strength for the next Cadence attack? (Possibly gaining personality traits with either decision). Just a thought.

Based on the teamstreams, I think once a region falls, it is done for good. But I am not 100% sure.

Smiles

Sign in to follow this