Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leminnes

Re: Recent Events in Gaming Culture

I dunno... but the fact that the court proceedings favored Quinn makes me inclined to believe that there was enough verifiable evidence there for the order to be put in place. Judges are generally pretty good at detecting BS when a cop isn't involved.

My trust in the US judicial system is... not great. The "Zoe post" blog is still online; had the court judged it as active harrassment, it wouldn't be. So it would be interesting to know what exactly it was that was brought forward and led to the restraining order. It would be interesting to know what tipped the scale – but not because that would probably be the verifiable evidence. In my book, Gjoni's continuous stalking, vengeful hate mob orchestrating and blatant harrassment are plain as day and should have been punished with some jail time. Still, what convinced the court? It sure wasn't the evident stuff. :(

EDIT: But I wasn't really trying to make a point about homosexuality.

Maybe so, but you did. In fact, early research suggests there is no developmental disadvantage to having two same gender parents: http://www.govtoday.co.uk/local-government-news/37-adult-children/15107-children-in-gay-adoptions-are-at-no-disadvantage

And the one disadvantage they do suggest could crop up for older children with further research (bullying in secondary schools) seems like a problem that society needs to fix, not a reason not to give gay couples a chance at raising a family.

That's all I'm going to say about it, since you did after all say you weren't trying to make some point. Let's just have the facts straight.

EDIT: That said, obviously this is going to vary from culture to culture. But I would say that if an ideal exists, it's a society that is shaped in such a way that prejudice of this kind is rarer, and so that many different kinds of families can exist without fear that children will be subjected to bullying.

early research suggests there is no developmental disadvantage to having two same gender parents

And the one disadvantage they do suggest could crop up for older children with further research (bullying in secondary schools) seems like a problem that society needs to fix

OzCVWT0.gif

Well, okay then.

And I totally agree about bullying. Kids can be straight up mean. And by kids I mean people, because a lot of adults are just old but still immature as crap.

Hey, thanks for taking that post as intended. I didn't want to start an argument, just wanted to provide something you might not have been aware of :)

I dunno... but the fact that the court proceedings favored Quinn makes me inclined to believe that there was enough verifiable evidence there for the order to be put in place. Judges are generally pretty good at detecting BS when a cop isn't involved.

My trust in the US judicial system is... not great. The "Zoe post" blog is still online; had the court judged it as active harrassment, it wouldn't be. So it would be interesting to know what exactly it was that was brought forward and led to the restraining order. It would be interesting to know what tipped the scale – but not because that would probably be the verifiable evidence. In my book, Gjoni's continuous stalking, vengeful hate mob orchestrating and blatant harrassment are plain as day and should have been punished with some jail time. Still, what convinced the court? It sure wasn't the evident stuff. :(

She wanted a restraining order, not a libel lawsuit. Libel lawsuits are really, really hard to win in the US, unless you're suing in a state without SLAPP laws and have a metric crapton of money to throw around. Libel lawsuits either have to be really fucking clear cut (publishing an article about someone eating babies and pillaging churches or something, for instance), or the other person has to back down because they lack the time or resources to fight it.

The US also lacks anti hate speech laws, and harassment laws are patchy and difficult to enforce at best. So giving her the restraining order is the court's way of saying that Gjoni is a bag of dicks and Zoe is right that he's harassing and stalking her.

Psst.

I'm not claiming anything about them. I'm making fun of YOU.

Because everything I posted? That's what Gjoni thinks. And that's what you're supporting when you believe him. Oh, he also thinks that because he got fired from his job for spending too much time harassing Zoe, it's her fault if the medical stuff he was building doesn't get built. She's now a MURDERER for having the audacity to not be quiet while being attacked.

But I don't just take Gjoni's word for it. There's the matter of the logs which seem pretty convincing evidence for me and there have been other people who have come forward and their stories corroborate Gjoni's portrayal of Quinn. Like Quinn's photographer who told the story about how Quinn claimed to have killed a rapist.

Also, where does he blame Quinn for losing his "job"? Apparently, this was a volunteer position on a project. And he complained because someone (notice how he doesn't blame Quinn) called the workplace:

Here’s the other thing about my current situation. I work on medical robots. I do this for free because even if grant funding is tentative, the project is important. Saving people’s lives is important. It’s important enough to keep me working for free for pretty much for as long as it takes for the project to come into its own and be less dependent on the whims of grant sources. It would be very sad for this project to languish in the world of life saving research that almost was.

So when you call my place of employment, and try to get me fired — you aren’t cutting into my income.There isn’t any income to cut into. You are literally just preventing me from helping to save people’s fucking LIVES.

Which, again — I’m doing for free.

You asshole.

I'd boot someone like him off the project too. You do NOT want someone who thinks it's okay to summon a hate mob to harass anyone working on any project- it's just basic group dynamics and HR practice.

Edit: I mean, holy fucking shit, how many rapists hide behind the same goddamn excuse? Look at Bill Cosby- people knew for years that he was a cereal rapist, but everyone gave him a pass because he was a good actor.

I'd boot someone like him off the project too. You do NOT want someone who thinks it's okay to summon a hate mob to harass anyone working on any project- it's just basic group dynamics and HR practice.

Edit: I mean, holy fucking shit, how many rapists hide behind the same goddamn excuse? Look at Bill Cosby- people knew for years that he was a cereal rapist, but everyone gave him a pass because he was a good actor.

NostalgiaCritic_horrific.jpg

Okay, I'm switching to breakfast burritos from now on.

NostalgiaCritic_horrific.jpg

Okay, I'm switching to breakfast burritos from now on.

Sorry, I was coming back from a long exam when I wrote that.

And now, I'll forever have the mental image of this guy... with a bowl of cereal...

DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUUU, FEEDDDDDDDLEEFEEWWWWWWWWWW!

And now, I'll forever have the mental image of this guy... with a bowl of cereal...

Someone was arrested where I live for being a doughfucker while they worked at a local bakery. They were caught quickly, but...

Someone was arrested where I live for being a doughfucker while they worked at a local bakery. They were caught quickly, but...

shocked-cat-o.gif

Okay I can see how that might be something that feels good, but it isn't that hard or expensive to make dough at home, so why take that kind of stupid risk?

HUMANS ARE DUMB, HORNY CREATURES, MKAY?

Okay I can see how that might be something that feels good, but it isn't that hard or expensive to make dough at home, so why take that kind of stupid risk?

HUMANS ARE DUMB, HORNY CREATURES, MKAY?

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? YOU SEEM DEFENSIVE!

IDK, IT'S JUST DISTURBING TO ME THAT SOME MEN THINK ITS OKAY TO STICK THEIR DICKS IN EVERYTHING.

That's not milk...

That's not milk...

Milk? We have a bull, Jimmy....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4cIq2hus.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4cIq2hus.jpg

Doughfucker is an insult that needs to be used more often, IMO.

Sign in to follow this