Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

MASSIVE CHALICE Update #54 - Premium Backer Beta is Released!

Hey MASSIVE CHALICE backers!

Today’s the day! We’re launching the MASSIVE CHALICE Premium Backer Beta! YEAH! :D!

If you backed the game at $50 or more you should be receiving an email from Humble Bundle with everything you need to get your Steam key for the MASSIVE CHALICE Premium Backer Beta. If you’re a $50+ backer and you have not received an email then please contact Humble support ASAP here! https://support.humblebundle.com

Remember, you’re playing a near-complete version of MASSIVE CHALICE! The entire game can be played from start to finish but there are still a lot of bugs and balance issues. We’re going to be working on them non-stop but we need your help to do that!

Stream Away!

A lot of people have been asking us if they’ll be able to stream the game. ABSOLUTELY! One of our favorite things about developing MASSIVE CHALICE has been sharing the it with you guys on Twitch. Please stream away and share some of your favorite moments with us and the rest of the community! :D!

Teamstream #28 TODAY!

We’re going to be doing some streaming of our own tomorrow with Teamstream #28! Tune in at 4pm Pacific TODAY at twitch.tv/doublefine where we’ll be playing MASSIVE CHALICE and talking about game balance!

We might even try checking in on some MASSIVE CHALICE streamers during our own stream! Maybe we’ll be streaming your stream during the Teamstream? :D!

Report Bugs and Provide Feedback!

We’re excited to gather tons of feedback and bugs from you guys. The best way to submit that feedback is to head over to the MASSIVE CHALICE FORUMS and make an account. We’ll be in there as much as we can chiming in on threads and taking suggestions!

- Anthony

P.S. For the rest of the backers that didn’t back at $50 - we haven’t forgotten about you! We want to make sure that the game is in a stable, polished state before we unleash it on you. Please sit tight for a bit longer… we’re going to see how this beta period goes and we’ll have more information soon about our release plans. Thanks for your patience and thanks again for your support! :D!

Hi! Congrats, guys! I've really enjoyed watching your progress, and I'm really excited to get my hands on this.

One thing that's not clear to me right now is whether or not there's going to be a Linux beta build going out today and if not. how long you guys think it might take before one will be ready? I don't mind waiting. I just want to know how long to expect to wait. :)

I believe the Teamstreams have mentioned this beta period is going to be for PC only, but I'm sure we'll stop by to clarify!

Smiles

Hey Guys!

We're so excited to have the game out in the wild for the first time today! Since the game is in beta it's still got a fair amount of work ahead of it. We had to put as much focus on getting gameplay bugs squashed and core tech issues resolved. We want those stable before we head over to Mac and Linux so the current release is only for PC.

FOR NOW! Hehe... we're working on getting Mac and Linux brought over as soon as we can!

For you new guys joining our forums be sure to check the Team Updates Forum (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewforum/54/) where we post frequent and pretty deep updates about our development status!

Thanks again everyone, I can't tell you how excited the whole studio is right now!

- Anthony, Producer, MASSIVE CHALICE

Really looking forward to the Linux version too. I hope we won't have to wait too long.

My main computer is a Mac too but I'm gonna see if this runs on my old PC. So so so so so excited.

ooph just realized that my key probably got sent to the email address I originally backed on this project on (no longer have access to) and I have since updated.

Is there a plan for a DRM-free beta-release soon? I'm looking forward to trying the game : )

If it's like many of the other Double Fine games, once you download it via Steam you can launch it without having to have Steam running (or even installed). Steam just acts as the distribution platform.

Super excited to give the game a try! I currently don't have any Windows PCs in the home though, so I'll either have to wait for the Mac release or (more likely of the two options) install Windows so I can try it!

Congrats to the (awesome) team for reaching this (awesome) milestone!

ooph just realized that my key probably got sent to the email address I originally backed on this project on (no longer have access to) and I have since updated.

Just email support@doublefine.com and we'll get you sorted!

If it's like many of the other Double Fine games, once you download it via Steam you can launch it without having to have Steam running (or even installed). Steam just acts as the distribution platform.

The problem is that I don't have internet at my home, and I'm not sure the university would appreciate me installing steam on one of their computers just to download a game.

In any case, I can wait a little longer : )

Too bad it's not on Mac yet. I hoped it would be a cross-platform beta, like Broken Age.

I tried running it on VMWare Fusion (Windows 8.1), but the game just crashes immediately except when I turn off 3D acceleration, but then it runs too slow.

Oh well, patience I guess. All you other beta-testers have fun. ?

(Guess I won't be a premium backer on next Kickstarter projects if a Mac beta can't be made available as soon as the Windows beta.)

Too bad it's not on Mac yet. I hoped it would be a cross-platform beta, like Broken Age.

I tried running it on VMWare Fusion (Windows 8.1), but the game just crashes immediately except when I turn off 3D acceleration, but then it runs too slow.

Oh well, patience I guess. All you other beta-testers have fun. ?

(Guess I won't be a premium backer on next Kickstarter projects if a Mac beta can't be made available as soon as the Windows beta.)

They plan to get a Mac and Linux version up as a soon as they can. But they wanted to make sure it was decently stable before committing work to those platforms for the beta, so they aren't fixing the same bugs across all platforms likely.

Smiles

I tried this, logging into my steam account through a friend's computer, then moving the files to mine, and it worked! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

They plan to get a Mac and Linux version up as a soon as they can. But they wanted to make sure it was decently stable before committing work to those platforms for the beta, so they aren't fixing the same bugs across all platforms likely.

A more bug-free Mac-version is nice. Was just disappointed it wasn't like Broken Age, where us Mac-owners also got to experience the bugginess. :)

The other hold up is the engine. MC began long enough ago that some of the engine features it uses were only finished on the Windows version of the engine. Costume Quest 2 has those changes on all platforms, but has other differences from the version MC was built on. (Basically, when you start a new game, you copy the latest version of the engine, but changes made after that are usually left out to avoid issues that they may bring to that particular game). They now need to backport the needed parts from Mac/Linux CQ2 into the MC version of the engine. (Source: Teamstream where they announced the beta, in the Q&A portion.)

IIRC they said they had pulled the changes to Buddha from CQ2 down into MC, and would put the effort on getting Mac & Linux running after filtering out the crashers and most egregious bugs. OR did I misunderstand/misremember what they said?

Sign in to follow this