Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stowelll

Difficulty: am I playing this game wrong?

Just gave about two hours over to a play through. The last 3 or 4 combat events I played through I lost all my heroes. Am I doing something wrong? By the second group of Bulwark and exploding guys (name is escaping me), usually 1 and 2 - respectively, drain my resources. My health packs are all consumed, my bombs have all been thrown. I have most of my team dead. Am I playing the game wrong? The mission with only exploding guys, seeds, and the ranged de-levelers in the salt pools went well. I felt there was genuine risk to my heroes - but with good strategy I was able to keep them alive. Every level after the bulwarks were introduced I'd lose my entire party. I admit I wasn't breeding well. All my heroes were dying quickly or getting old so I did at least three rounds of recruitment. Every time I'd get a new batch of recruits they'd die in battle the first mission they were deployed in.

I see some posts about multiple keeps and level 10 heirlooms/relics which gives me hope. Am I playing this game wrong?

bulwarks stopped my first run dead in its tracks, and I hadn't lost a single hero to combat before that point. They are brutal early.

1. I recommend getting the +30% health item instead of heal potions early, that gives you some of the tankiness you need to beat the bulwarks.

2. Kill the Bulwarks in 1 turn with Hunter follow-up.

3. Stun the Bulwarks with Caberjack knockbacks.

4. abuse hunter stealth and get their veil armor upgrade ASAP. Makes life a lot easier.

And general tips that seem to apply from X-COM:

move slowly, don't rush, and don't uncover more fog of war and new enemies than you can handle. Seriously, don't be afraid to move really slowly to keep your squad together

in my first play through bulwarks were the end of the line for me too. early game you just dont have the damage to deal with them, and youdont have the mobility or positioning items/skills to close the distance. early game vs buwarks the best unit is caberjacks (you need to stun them after doing damage to stop them just murduring you as you whittle them down. you can 1 shot a laps almost from the start of the game, you can 1 shot seeds, and 2 hunters can stop the explosion guys with luck but bulwarks are tough.

in my current play-through i avoided all bulwark fights until midgame. in the mid game your heros (in my case some epic caberjacks) can 1 shot bulwarks so sthem become sess of an issue.

but right now i have encountered advanced bulwarks and they are much tougher, a group of 4 took out 4 Lv 8 hunters while my caber jacks were aged to death on the otherside of the map.

MY ADVICE: avoid bulwarks early, when you do fight them, makesure you have stunns and close that distance fast. good luck

in my first play through bulwarks were the end of the line for me too. early game you just dont have the damage to deal with them, and youdont have the mobility or positioning items/skills to close the distance. early game vs buwarks the best unit is caberjacks (you need to stun them after doing damage to stop them just murduring you as you whittle them down. you can 1 shot a laps almost from the start of the game, you can 1 shot seeds, and 2 hunters can stop the explosion guys with luck but bulwarks are tough.

in my current play-through i avoided all bulwark fights until midgame. in the mid game your heros (in my case some epic caberjacks) can 1 shot bulwarks so sthem become sess of an issue.

but right now i have encountered advanced bulwarks and they are much tougher, a group of 4 took out 4 Lv 8 hunters while my caber jacks were aged to death on the otherside of the map.

MY ADVICE: avoid bulwarks early, when you do fight them, makesure you have stunns and close that distance fast. good luck

You say avoid them. Did you just have better luck than I did? All my combat options after they were introduced included Bulwarks.

if you can, use mainly (if not all) hunters, a couple of caberjacks and forget about alchemist, when specifically tackling Bulwarks, use the hunters follow up shot and if that doesn't work you really need to stun them, also make sure you don't line your guys up for easy piercing shots

You say avoid them. Did you just have better luck than I did? All my combat options after they were introduced included Bulwarks.

I think he means avoid them on the battlefield until you are prepped with a plan, not when deciding which region to assault.

Smiles

i think it is luck of the draw what enemies you will face really. you can see what pawns you will be facing when you choose which region to defend. i chose the fights without bulwarks if i could and was lucky a bunch of times and mostly fought lapses and explosion cadence and wrinklers (forget the name). i tend to favor fighting cradles if i can. they are tough but if you play your cards right you can farm tons of xp from them.

late game cradels will mess your shit up though so be careful

I find that a good tactic is "exploiting" the enemies sight range. Have a Hunter stealthed to keep your vision of the enemy and move your party in a way that most or all of them stay hidden from the enemy. Most of the time the enemies will make "random" movements and even if they find you they'll rarely be able to do much, giving you the perfect opportunity to ambush them the next turn.

I found also that the best way to deal with Bulwarks in the early game is pretty much spamming the Caberjack's stun on them (if you have 2 Cabers you can pretty much lock them in a stun loop). You can actually stun them AFTER the armor is up, which is pretty helpful.

Ha All I have are Alchemists. so Fights against Bulwarks are seriously painful, not fun at all. Why I'm trolling the forums, I need a break from the game...

Ha All I have are Alchemists. so Fights against Bulwarks are seriously painful, not fun at all. Why I'm trolling the forums, I need a break from the game...

Ouch. Fighting Bulwarks with only Alchemists sounds really scary.

Ouch. Fighting Bulwarks with only Alchemists sounds really scary.

I was watching a stream where someone was using the tactic of using their free throw ability, then hiding until they could charge it up again, then use the free throw again.

Bulwarks is what killed my all-caberjack round, together with wrinklers. Hunters that can double shoot and hide while setting up a multi-person trap is sooo useful. I find I really liked alchemists in the early game when their damage output wasn't horrible, but later on, they seem to lose their usefulness way faster than caberjacks, who also lose usefulness compared to hunters.

Free throw is very useful when you do have them, but the problem is that as enemies ramp up in health, you need to spend more grenades on single targets and you simply run out of them, and their melee ability really becomes almost inconsequent when you need to kill multiple 50+ hp enemies in a single turn..

I'd love to see Hybrids in the game, since I think that opens up a lot of more nuanced play (either with mixed skill trees or a few random unique skills). I'll be somewhat disappointed if they don't make it. :-(

Smiles

I think hybrids actually kinda-sorta are in the game. Have you checked the skill trees for children from same class marriages and different class marriages? The skill trees are actually not the same. They just have no explicit hybrid-markers that I've noticed, though I haven't looked closely for that either.

I haven't got to download and play yet -- my comment has based on asking others who had played, and they said they didn't see hybridization. But maybe they weren't looking!

Smiles

Hunter is good for it when they have relics and can do a lot of damage. I'm still on my first play through year 200+ or something like that now.

I had a lot of caberjacks at the start and only 1/2 hunter and the stun from the caberjack pulled me through the first 100 years.

Just stun lock each and every mob. And use the hunter stealth to increase sight range and plan my attacks.

With items I usually give caberjacks +30% health items hunters + aim and if I have alchemist or else I just assign 1/2 of my heroes for health pots to help boost the caberjacks.

From what I've been able to tell I don't think hybrids are in the game yet, but I just looked through my squad and I could be wrong. I just haven't seen any different skills for my hunters, but I guess it's possible that both hunter houses have had spouses which were caberjacks consistently? I just think I would've noticed by now (year 300).

I mean, there's no class titles that differ from the core classes, and I don't think there are visuals differences either, but there *are* skill tree differences. So, I think hybrids are in the game. Maybe they will be made more pronounced than they are at the moment in the final launch, but it seems like they are in there already to me. Just not explicit. Which is kind of a bummer, but I understand that this game had a limited budget and had to stay within those limits.

The strategie that worked the best for me to kill the Bullwarks?(Canon-Guys) is this:

You need one keep that "produces constantly alchymists.

Than you need Hunters (optionaly with relics) that have the ability that makes them stronger when an allay dies.

Now use 4Hunters and 1Alch. in battles.

Let the Alchimist die and now you oneshot everything if you have good hunters. If not simply use Follow-Up.

I have a little/crappy video to demonstrate that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmoyWjB-s9E

Theo

I swear I saw same class heroes with different skill trees. But now that I played tonight, I saw no difference between hunter-hunter children and hunter-caberjack children, so I guess I might have gone temporarily insane and hallucinated the whole thing.

I swear I saw same class heroes with different skill trees. But now that I played tonight, I saw no difference between hunter-hunter children and hunter-caberjack children, so I guess I might have gone temporarily insane and hallucinated the whole thing.

you may have had visual glitches or bugs?

but brad has said the hybrids aren't in the game

Sign in to follow this